Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cost of getting my bug painted....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

I 100% agree.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

Bones, I agree..but then there's mecum auctions.. mystifying
Wants and needs depends on cash flow.
Everything is relative it seems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

The more you do the better it will come out leave the painting to the painter. Strip the car windows out or at very least cut the window seals back leave the fenders loose. Pay for the minor bodywork and paint work that's it. Hire a tow truck for drop off and pickup. Cost should be in the 1.3k range max bugs are small cars it goes quick. If your paying a painter to use a socket set your doing it all wrong. You can get a very honest paint job even with Maaco if you do the dirty work beforehand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

Most of us who restore older cars do so for the satisfaction the journey brings, not because we expect a profit from the time and money invested. If one has the means, spend whatever you like to create the vehicle as you want it ... the value and profit is in the pleasure it brings.

If I went all out money-wise on one bug, I could never afford to buy another (at least the way prices have risen in the last several years). So my goals and expectations for Project A always keep in mind that I want there to be a Project B and Project C. I'm guessing there are more than a few of us that have this approach.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Beautiful car. What tires do you have on there?
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

Just a great hobby. Wink

Last edited by lboos on Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

frenchroast wrote:
What tires do you have on there?

Thanks!

You're the second person in two days to ask. Whitewalls must be getting hard to find. Sad

Those are BF Goodrich Silvertown Radials with 3/4" WWs. I bought them from Summit Racing in the fall of 2021, but it appears they no longer carry them. Coker Tire has them, but they're pretty expensive:

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/165r15-bf-goodrich-3-4-whitewall.html

You might want to check with Summit anyway to see if they have them to fit a bug. They had a better price than Coker and offered free shipping (I still had to pay the oversize item shipping fee though) ... still a better deal than Coker at the time.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

Pre paint prep is the key to a nice overall finish. if you can see it, or feel it before paint, you will see it after the paint is applied. a good prep is 99% of a good paint job. applying the paint is the easy part.
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

bruceo98 wrote:
Pre paint prep is the key to a nice overall finish. if you can see it, or feel it before paint, you will see it after the paint is applied. a good prep is 99% of a good paint job. applying the paint is the easy part.

I agree, only painted a few cars in my life. The last one was a 1974 STD T1 which turned very good I thought. It was all really time spent prepping for paint. That was 15+ years ago. Had a 914 painted last year, that was $12k which included body work (I did all rust repair and rough body work/fitting).

If my Bug needed paint, I'd drop $7-9k to get it done right.

MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

Ok, original poster here again...
After reading all your comments, and getting some more quotes here in the area,with the lowest one still being $9k, with me doing all the disassembly/assembly, I have come to the conclusion that I have to do it myself...
As mentioned earlier, I have done it once, years ago, and didn't really want to do it again, but I just don't want to spend more on the paint job than what the car is worth.

So I have been scouring the internet, especially youtube, to learn as much as possible.
I will wait until late march/early april to tackle this, when it gets a little warmer..Right now around here, temperatures are in the 30's / low 40's...

And one remaining question is : single stage paint, or basecoat + clear coat ?
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

If it's metalic, base with clear. Gives depth.

I've never painted other than single stage, but that was a long time ago.
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

@Root_Werks :
Thanks for the answer.
I'm not planning on metallic, just a re-spray in the same color, so I'll go with single stage.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

I knew a guy that painted cars in a tin shed with a dirt floor. He did most of his work for guys that had used car lots. Ask around at the lots selling older cars
JZ8G00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

Like you I tried a couple of paint shops and got the old "insurance is our primary income" line. Finally went to MAACO, got their mid-range paint job plus body work and paid $1600. I did prep the car removing all non essential items prior to taking it in and I'm sure that helped. That was eight years ago and it still looks great. I will admit I don't drive it in the rain and its in the garage when not on the road so other than spending time out in the 100+ degree California sunshine its well pampered. If I ever did another Bug I'd do it the same way, looks great and gets a lot of compliments wherever I go.

theBEETgoeson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

[quote="JZ8G00"]Like you I tried a couple of paint shops and got the old "insurance is our primary income" line. Finally went to MAACO, got their mid-range paint job plus body work and paid $1600. I did prep the car removing all non essential items prior to taking it in and I'm sure that helped. That was eight years ago and it still looks great. I will admit I don't drive it in the rain and its in the garage when not on the road so other than spending time out in the 100+ degree California sunshine its well pampered. If I ever did another Bug I'd do it the same way, looks great and gets a lot of compliments wherever I go.

Looks great from my view! Mather? I'm in the Sacramento area as well, which MAACO did you go to and how long ago was it?

I rattle canned my bug nearly fifteen years ago and needless to say the black has now faded gray (she hasnt seen a garage since i bought her). Not looking for anything show worthy, just a little fresh color to make er pop again!

Circa 2017
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

My 1978 Maaco paint job on my 1971 Convertible; cost me $140 back then because extra $10 to change from Clementine Orange to Pastel white to match my 1970 sedan. Someone can look up what $140 in 1978 dollars would be today....convertible top is from 1980 !!!

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

Maaco charged me $1500 for this paint job several years ago. There was some small rust spots to repair and I took the trim and turn signals off, welting out.

Now its in the shop to make the repair under the half-moon vent and a complete repaint for $838.

JZ8G00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

Beet'
Its McClellan, Had my bug painted in Oct 2014 at the MAACO on Riverside in Roseville. I'm still very happy with the paint job and the folks at that location but as I mentioned I baby my bug, wax it often and only drive it during good weather, mostly in the summer and the winter months when its projected to be dry. Back when I was working it would sit out in the sun at work 8 hours a day 5-6 days a week but then would go home to the garage for a break.

MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

To bring this thread to a close :

Found somebody via craigslist who did it for $ 4.5k.
By this time, I had resigned myself to paint it myself, and had hired this guy, to just come out and fix the dents. We got to talking, and he ended up doing the whole thing, including towing the car back and forth some 80 miles to his place. All in all, it took about 4 weeks, including some extra work he had to do to fix some rust spots.
I did all the disassembly and re-assembly myself. Everything went pretty well, except for the headliner... I got it done, but it does not look as nice as it should, will have to do that again sometime.
Paint job is quite good, not top notch show room, but good enough for me, and certainly better than it looked before.
Re-assembled, with all new rubber, fender beads, refurbished door panels, and new carpet, it's a different car.
I still need to wet sand and buff the clear coat, so it should look even better.

Off to the paint shop:

coming back from paint shop

Re-assembled

Interior

SubbinNCali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of getting my bug painted.... Reply with quote

Turned out nice! How long do you think it would've taken you to do yourself? Any more plans?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: