Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recommended source for small metric vacuum hoses?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HomegrownMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Recommended source for small metric vacuum hoses? Reply with quote

Hi all
Got the injectors back from shop and starting reassembly. I would like to replace the vacuum hoses before trying to start after 30 years. I can find similar firm clear hoses at hardware stores, but they are not ideal nor a prefect fit (SAE). ECS was my go-to for the older Audis in even numbers, but 5, 7, 14, 15, 17mm vacuum hoses are hard to find without 10’ sections, if at all.
Recommendations?

I saw the posts for the big radiator hose as replacement and it works for the large hoses, but the small?

Also, reco for the ‘air’ or vent hoses in engine bay? Mine are all original 1976. Shocked Flexible rigid metal drier style hoses are too big.

Thanks!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended source for small metric vacuum hoses? Reply with quote

injectors do not use vacuum hose. They use pressure hose.

If you are looking for the vacuum hose for the tank vents, distributor etc., Scott at German Supply in Toronto has them.

Your post sounds like you are trying to fit everything. Take a deep breath and tackle one hose at a time.
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended source for small metric vacuum hoses? Reply with quote

Try McMaster Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/vacuum-hose/system-of-measurement~metric/for-use-with~air
HomegrownMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended source for small metric vacuum hoses? Reply with quote

No, I was simply explaining that I have my injectors back (for those following my progress) and was starting to reassemble the engine. I am moving onto vacuum hoses.

McMaster seems to have lots of hoses, but not something that appears appropriate (some may have rigid liners, SAE does not translate exactly to metric, etc). Hesitant to order something without knowing it is right.

I figured someone here must have bought vacuum hose somewhere in the right sizes or even as a kit.

Thanks/K
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended source for small metric vacuum hoses? Reply with quote

https://belmetric.com/hose/

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HomegrownMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended source for small metric vacuum hoses? Reply with quote

Wow! Now that is not a source I would have found on my own. Thank you.
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended source for small metric vacuum hoses? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
https://belmetric.com/hose/

Thumbs Up
D&L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended source for small metric vacuum hoses? Reply with quote

Also quality hose here-been very happy with this source.
https://germansupply.com/hoses-emissions-and-fuel/?sort=title&objects_per_page=50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended source for small metric vacuum hoses? Reply with quote

You can also convert SAE hose to metric with a special adapter made by HeatShrink
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended source for small metric vacuum hoses? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You can also convert SAE hose to metric with a special adapter made by HeatShrink

Quite a few "metric" sizes are Imperial dimensions "converted" like 5.5mm is actually 7/64" ID hose ...

And what the HeatShrink adaptors dont fix, the worm drive hose clip fixes..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended source for small metric vacuum hoses? Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Quite a few "metric" sizes are Imperial dimensions "converted" like 5.5mm is actually 7/64" ID hose ...

Since hose sizes are in such small increments it's really not necessary to go out of one way to buy metric. VW in general sized their hoses to the size of the inside of the nipples and fittings so fit tight to begin with.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended source for small metric vacuum hoses? Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I try not to use worm dr8ve clamps for anything.......even vacuum hoses. What I do like for vacuum hoses....when they need to be clamped at all.....is spring clamps. While they may look out of place if you are going for all stock....they work very well. Very functional. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended source for small metric vacuum hoses? Reply with quote

Seems there are many answers here. In the end, are you going for 100 point concours correct or do just need functioning hoses.

If you need to be concours correct, German metric hoses with the correct sheaths, lines, markings etc. is the only way to go. Otherwise, go to your well stocked FLAPS and get the closest size, put them on and motor forward.

My $0.02
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended source for small metric vacuum hoses? Reply with quote

HomegrownMN wrote:
No, I was simply explaining that I have my injectors back (for those following my progress) and was starting to reassemble the engine. I am moving onto vacuum hoses.

McMaster seems to have lots of hoses, but not something that appears appropriate (some may have rigid liners, SAE does not translate exactly to metric, etc). Hesitant to order something without knowing it is right.

I figured someone here must have bought vacuum hose somewhere in the right sizes or even as a kit.

Thanks/K

McMaster does have metric sizes. Their catalog can be hard sometimes, but the selections are great.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended source for small metric vacuum hoses? Reply with quote

depending what you need, sometimes a hose kit from Scott at German Supply is nice because you get all that you need for your year. Otherwise you have to figure out the size of what you need and buy a bunch of each.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: