Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo diesel help
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gutte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Turbo diesel help Reply with quote

Hey all
my current setup is a 1.9 diesel engine with a 5 speed adh gearbox, I would like to put in a 1.9 Turbo diesel with a mechanical pump(no drive by wire) do i need to do anything to the wiring??
Thx for the help
Cheers Gutte
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo diesel help Reply with quote

Simplest would be to add a turbo to your current 1.9 diesel.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo diesel help Reply with quote

waldo-

would the aux. water pump system used on the 1.6 td be needed ? or does the 1.9 have that already? oil cooler etc? just curious. also what sized turbo woudl be used for a 1.9?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo diesel help Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:

would the aux. water pump system used on the 1.6 td be needed ? or does the 1.9 have that already? oil cooler etc? just curious. also what sized turbo woudl be used for a 1.9?

I am not waldo, but:
The aux pump is not as necessary especially if it not works. You can bypass te pump, or use the NA diesel return hose or mod the piping to have a 1.9 style coolant routing (there is a Samba topic somewhere). Adding an oil cooler is always wise.
The 1.9 IDI engines also had K14 turbos like the JX (a slightly different variant, 7000 series rather than the 6000) so you can use those with the JX manifold. Or the JX turbo. Then you can use the JX engine mounts and exhaust.

To OP:
If you use the JX coolant flanges and coolant senders then no need to modify the wiring. If you have the late JX with two pin senders and plastic flanges then just swap the senders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo diesel help Reply with quote

Does your block have oils sprayer for the pistons/ ETKA will show is it does.

Roland
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo diesel help Reply with quote

All of the 1.9 diesels had piston cooling oil jets.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo diesel help Reply with quote

Zoltan, as usual a wealth of information, thanks for the answer!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
chrissev2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo diesel help Reply with quote

Gutte wrote:
Hey all
my current setup is a 1.9 diesel engine with a 5 speed adh gearbox, I would like to put in a 1.9 Turbo diesel with a mechanical pump(no drive by wire) do i need to do anything to the wiring??
Thx for the help
Cheers Gutte

I converted my Vanagon (1986 WBX) to a 1.9 TD (AAZ) and found the wiring to be plug and play. The glow plug wiring was even already present, just not being used. I just had to add a glow plug light to the cluster and a glow plug relay to the engine bay. The vanagon wiring loom accommodated this and I did not have to run any additional wires anywhere.

It seemed that every Vanagon was built to accept either a diesel or a gas engine, as they already were wired for either.

You will find that your AAZ turbo pump has all sorts of weird plug ins on it, depending on the year. I researched this issue and also spoke to a person who rebuilt my pump and was told just ignore these. The only one you need is the stop solenoid.

So converting your 1.9 NA to a 1.9 TD would be easy. As stated above, you could also just add a turbo to it and change the injection pump for one that has the LDA on top. The blocks are the same other than I believe you have to figure out the turbo oil return line issue.
1978 Volkswagen super beetle convertible
1992 Eurovan 2.5 5spd westfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: