Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
Superb pics as always!

I totally understand why you spend so much time out in Scotland, we are currently sat overlooking Fortrose Bay having been exploring Scotland since 13th May. The beauty of it has blown us away, it’s amazing & something different around every corner. We cannot wait to plan for next year!

We have been maybe welcome no matter where we have stayed & the people great.

I’ll do a write up of our journey early June.

Great to hear MorkC68! Glad you’re getting the chance to see some of the country. As an incomer myself, I wouldn’t live anywhere else now!
Look forward to reading about your travels.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:
Superb pics as always!

I totally understand why you spend so much time out in Scotland, we are currently sat overlooking Fortrose Bay having been exploring Scotland since 13th May. The beauty of it has blown us away, it’s amazing & something different around every corner. We cannot wait to plan for next year!

We have been maybe welcome no matter where we have stayed & the people great.

I’ll do a write up of our journey early June.

Great to hear MorkC68! Glad you’re getting the chance to see some of the country. As an incomer myself, I wouldn’t live anywhere else now!
Look forward to reading about your travels.

Michelle said she’d love to move over the border and start a tea room / cake shop and sell local handmade crafts too as, at times, we have struggled to find coffee and cake mid afternoon.

We both feel a draw to Scotland!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Really enjoy this thread. Thanks for sharing.

My son has been in the UK on business for the last 2 months and has had to travel a fair bit since arriving (London, Gatwick, Newcastle, Aberdeen, & Dublin). My wife and I are thinking that we may have to ship our Westy over next summer and have him be our tour guide for a two month tour and try to catch a few VW gatherings while there. He can take the train or fly but we'll drive and meet him in each location.

All of my ancestors are from the UK (mostly English but some Scots in the mix too) so we could try to locate some distant family while there.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Really enjoy this thread. Thanks for sharing.

My son has been in the UK on business for the last 2 months and has had to travel a fair bit since arriving (London, Gatwick, Newcastle, Aberdeen, & Dublin). My wife and I are thinking that we may have to ship our Westy over next summer and have him be our tour guide for a two month tour and try to catch a few VW gatherings while there. He can take the train or fly but we'll drive and meet him in each location.

All of my ancestors are from the UK (mostly English but some Scottish in the mix too) so we could try to locate some distant family while there.

Sounds like that would be some trip! I was alarmed to see how much shipping costs had gone up over the last 2 years but haven’t looked at US/UK routes.

Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

How have you found the heating with the new exchangers?

I still have originals on mine, seriously ratty now after at least 2 good refreshes...welds on top of welds...
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Jalabert wrote:
How have you found the heating with the new exchangers?

I still have originals on mine, seriously ratty now after at least 2 good refreshes...welds on top of welds...

Heating is working very well. I’m hard pushed to see a real difference from before but we usually have to turn the heating down after a while even in cold weather. The whole system is working properly though, and I insulated the central Heater tube under the bus.
Probably worth thinking about fitting new ones!…

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Medo always looks super pissed off!

I gotta step my VW game up, your are making us look bad…
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

So, there was a long break from this travelling thread as we were in Australia collecting, touring and shipping ‘Olive’ home. She’s currently in Singapore and should arrive in February…
Olive Kombi thread

It’s January in Scotland. The nights are juuuust starting to get a little longer but it’s still hovering around freezing. We don’t often use the Kombi over winter but Shona and a friend were going on a retreat for a week and so I thought I could give them a lift to Stirlingshire and if the weather held up, carry on up to the far North for a few days. Of course, I would have to take the cat as it’s too long to leave her at home.

There was only light frost at home and the weather was clear, so we picked Amelia up by the Forth rail bridge and took them to the retreat. It was getting dark by then, so I found a fishermen’s car park on a very quiet road at Loch Earn that I had stayed at before. Very pretty, with snow on the hills behind. The diesel heater kept me and Medo warm in the evening and I retreated to my sleeping bag overnight. It must have been cold as Medo was a limpet, clamped to her warm spot on top of me!

The next morning, after ‘bed tea’, coffee and breakfast, we headed into the hills to enjoy the beautiful day.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

The sun was shining nicely, so I thought I could ignore the road conditions warning and headed up the tiny road past Ben Lawers and up into Glen Lyon. I had never been that way before and it was very pretty.
There was rain forecast in the West for the next day but I worked out a route that would miss most of it and loop back to an offer of a driveway camp at Shona’s sisters house in the far West. I headed North and East and was just thinking about where to stop for the night and fill up with fuel before getting into more isolated country when…

After the fill up, the garage owner said I might want to push away from the pumps before starting, as there was fuel raining down onto the ground from the fuel tank!
I pushed to a safer spot, and had a look. It seemed the fuel was coming from the filler connection to the tank, and was soaking the starter motor. Uh oh…

So. I managed to drain enough fuel to stop it actually leaking onto the floor. Made a cup of coffee, checked where the fire extinguishers were located, and waited an hour or so for all the petrol to evaporate, and then crossed my fingers and she started right up. It didn’t seem like a good basis for a remote highland tour, so I reluctantly turned around and picked up the main road for the 2 1/2hr journey back home. It turned out I had replaced the two filler hoses in 2018, so I’ll see what they look like when I have time to take off the bulkhead to see the top of the tank. Maybe the hose has slipped off the metal tube, or maybe it has split? Either way, I’ll be replacing it!

1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Great pics again Phil!
I think you are one of the most hardened bus camper guys overhere😉
Shame about the filler hoses and very lucky the gas station guy has seen this!!
Trouble with these rubber parts is that the rubver quality isn’t the same as it used to be anymore put ethanol mixed gas on top of that and boom there goes your lifespan of the rubber!
I would do some realy deep research who does the best rubber before buying some.
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Fantastic thread enjoyed reading.
Do you do the VW show in Scotland (Volksfling) at the end of May?

SC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Send a nice letter to that gas station guy. He saved your bus and possibly you as well.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

heyskull wrote:
Fantastic thread enjoyed reading.
Do you do the VW show in Scotland (Volksfling) at the end of May?

SC

Hey, thanks. Glad you’re enjoying the thread! We do usually go to
Volksfling but I think we’re away in May this year. Always a good show though.

Thanks for the other comments, a lucky escape indeed!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Interesting developments:
I cleared the engine bay of hoses, air filter, carburettors and the blower fan and prised off the metal which hides the fuel tank.

Actually, the large filler hoses look in good condition and tight, so although I have ordered replacements I might not have to do that very awkward job.
In 2018 I must have replaced the vent hosing connections with 8mm fuel injection type hose. It was snug at the time, but the rubber hose is really loose now, and I think could be the source of the leak when the tank is topped off. The extra fuel in the filler tubing would fill up the vent tubing and leak for sure. I think softer braided hose (of the correct size-7mm!) would be better here, as it’s not actually carrying fuel.

I also noticed that someone has cut an access panel for the fuel tank sender, so I took that off in case that was where the leak is, but it looks good to me.

My plan is to replace the vent tubing with 7mm nitrile fuel hose, leave the panel off and fill the tank. I will see then if there is any leak at all at the filler hoses and will have replacements by then if I need to do that. We shall see!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Bonus!
While the blower motor was out I managed to disassemble it enough to wipe the bearing surfaces clean and put a little light oil in there. It’s difficult to do in situ.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Get some oetiker clamps on those emission hoses….

MeeeeeeeeYOW!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

The 7mm hose arrived in the post today. I have gone for cotton braided (ethanol resistant) hose, rather than FI smooth hose because it is more pliable to get over the plastic connecting pipe ends which are awkward to access. I had a mixture of ‘eared’ clamps and smooth screw clamps.
Everything went on pretty easily and is clamped and snug. Hopefully I won’t have to expose the tank again for a while! They look wet in the pictures because I soaked them in hot water to make fitting easier!
The large hose from the filler tube looks good, and the vent hoses had become so loose that I am sure they were the culprit.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

When I saw your original pictures of the small 7-8mm hoses, my honest thought was "why doesn't he have some clamps on there? When I did those hoses on my bay bus, I used the correct size German Braided hose. Usually I trust a good German braided hose w/out clamps since it does that Chinese finger trap dealio but w/it being such a pain to get to, I installed clamps as a just in case scenario.

Nice work!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

The road sign said "no gritting" what is that? Salt or sand? great scenery!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
The road sign said "no gritting" what is that? Salt or sand? great scenery!

You have to keep your mouth open and your teeth apart at all times
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Page 71 of 73

Jump to: