Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tapping the oil galleys...
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boos-k_nb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Tapping the oil galleys... Reply with quote

Didn't know where to put this in the forum; to amplify this procedure:

http://huelsmann.us/bugman/FilterTech.html

These are the tools I used:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NPT reamer and tap. Used a drill press for the large bit with the case clamped down. Kinda fun working with this soft material and getting nice results!
stoneloco808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious what size drill bits did you use?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go. Finally I see someone using NPT reamers.

I have been hammered for saying you need to use NPT reamers before you start tapping. The taps work really well when reamed first, don't they?

And the seal is perfect, everytime.

Right tools for the job is what I say.

Nice set! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tapping the oil galleys... Reply with quote

Just dropping this here. I didn't know about reamers though

Buggeee wrote:

I've drilled tapped and plugged the oil galleys and fitted the case for a full flow oil filter arrangement. Because I haven't found it listed, here is the list of tools and parts I used:

Drill America - POU3/8NPTW/DRILL 3/8" Carbon Steel NPT Pipe Tap and 37/64" High Speed Steel Drill Bit Set, POU Series

Drill America - POU1/8NPTW/DRILL 1/8" Carbon Steel NPT Pipe Tap and R High Speed Steel Drill Bit Set, POU Series

Drill America - POU1/4NPTW/DRILL 1/4" Carbon Steel NPT Pipe Tap and 7/16" High Speed Steel Drill Bit Set, POU Series

QLOUNI 25Pcs Brass Pipe Plugs Set, NPT Plug 1/8" 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" 3/4" Brass Pipe Fitting Internal Hex Thread Socket Pipe Plug Assortment Kit

Plus.... this particular style of 3/8 Male to 3/8 female 90 degree elbow, which can just barely spin into place with some grinding to the case and the fitting.:

The basic process involved, in addition to drilling and tapping.... getting a feel for the drill bit so it wouldn't claw it's way right through the soft case, and for me that meant high rpms and very light bumping of the bit into the hole over time bump bump bump... as well as lots of eyeballing the depth of the threads and trial fitting of the plugs, little by little, to establish a a depth that would not block an oil gally and that would allow the elbow fitting to rotate into the correct orientation when fully seated.

I used a light brush of Curil-T on the threads because that sealant is so forgiving.

Also, I first tried the aluminum plugs but almost got one stripped and stuck when trial fitting so opted for the slightly harder brass instead.

And here's some pictures:

Not to worry about the bottom plug in the last picture, it is a shallow plug compared to the aluminum plug I originally tapped it for so does not block the galley, but it would still not have been tapped that deep if I had started with the brass because it looks bad.

p.s. the work was done before the case was cleaned and painted.

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tapping the oil galleys... Reply with quote

I also had no idea that the reamers existed!
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tapping the oil galleys... Reply with quote

Yes, NPT threads are tapered, so you need to ream the hole tapered also.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tapping the oil galleys... Reply with quote

I have all the reamers. but one word of caution...DO NOT PUT THE PLUGS IN SO FAR!!! YOU CAN RESTRICT A OIL GALLY.!! LIKE THE TINY ONE BY THE PULLY AND THE ONE'S ON THE FLY WHEEL END OF THE CASE. WELL THE ONE BETWEEN #3&4 CYLINDER TOO. i WONT GO ANY FARTHER THAN FLUSH, BUT i ALWAYS CHECK FIRST SOME MAY NOT NEED TO GO THAT FAR OR MAY NEED CLEARANCING. NEVER JUST DO THIS STUFF BLINDLY THINKING YOU ARE DONT SOMETHING GOOD WHEN YOU MIGHT BE CURSING THE NEW BUILD!!! I do applaud you for not pulling the plug at the cooler relief piston location that somany people fuck up the piston bore trying to thread it.. use breakleen to clean that out good. if you must pull that disc get another disc to put in there.either aluminum or brass. I used to have a massive selection of those. you can also put a cup plug in there ( brass) I would not use a steel plug due to the expansion issue. as well as being very carfull taping the main gally inlet as the lator cases are very thin and the cases crack eazely. I donut tap the oil pump or the oil pump outlet gally in the case I use the cup plugs.Ice seen tomany effed up pumps& cases from being taped& pluged. there aint enough material there in the first place dont fuck with it!! just drive a brass cuplug in there. extreamly easy & fast to do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: