Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suspension rubber thingy
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
classicbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Suspension rubber thingy Reply with quote

I check my John Muir bible and wasn't able to locate this part.
Clearly it needs to be replaced, but, I don't know what purpose it serves.
Can someone help me out?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Slow-N-Rusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension rubber thingy Reply with quote

Bump stop/rubber snubber/front torsion snubber. Stops the torsion arms from traveling too far and bottoming (or topping) out the shocks.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111401273
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension rubber thingy Reply with quote

Bump stop.

You might look into my rather bad experience with a name brand aftermarket many years ago:

glutamodo wrote:
It's a bump stop. VW called them "Stop (Rubber) Torsion Arm" in the parts book.

Oh, and unless WW has improved their brand with a better grade of rubber, I'd avoid theirs. Here's what my WW "snubbers" looked when I took them off after about 16 months of service.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
classicbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension rubber thingy Reply with quote

Slow-N-Rusty wrote:
Bump stop/rubber snubber/front torsion snubber. Stops the torsion arms from traveling too far and bottoming (or topping) out the shocks.

Thanks, I'll order a new set. Hopefully not too difficult to install.
classicbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension rubber thingy Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Bump stop.

You might look into my rather bad experience with a name brand aftermarket many years ago:

glutamodo wrote:
It's a bump stop. VW called them "Stop (Rubber) Torsion Arm" in the parts book.

Oh, and unless WW has improved their brand with a better grade of rubber, I'd avoid theirs. Here's what my WW "snubbers" looked when I took them off after about 16 months of service.

Thanks, I'll order a new set. Hopefully not too difficult to install. Did you end up finding a better quality product? If so, where?
classicbug
Samba Member

Slow-N-Rusty wrote:

Thanks, I'll order a new set. Hopefully not too difficult to install.
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension rubber thingy Reply with quote

Make sure you them real warm so they are softer and put some lubricant inside. Take a mallet and tap them on...done.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension rubber thingy Reply with quote

Which is what I did. But then just a few months of driving and they were done-in!

As for the question if I found a better option, this was like, 10 years ago , but yes i did. Can not remember the brand name for sure (maybe Vibrasil ) but they were out of Brazil and they are fine. I've posted on the topic before: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592751&

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension rubber thingy Reply with quote

carcrazed wrote:
Make sure you them real warm so they are softer and put some lubricant inside. Take a mallet and tap them on...done.

The choice of lubricant may be part of the problem. Petroleum products will degrade rubber. I’d try a mild dish detergent or maybe talcum powder, but if you use talcum powder make sure it’s asbestos free. Silicone spray also a possibility but I like the dish soap cause it’s cheap and readily available 😀
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: