Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding the Door Windows
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAZglen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding the Door Windows Reply with quote

I bought a ’70 bug almost a year ago. It was basically a shell as every part I got with the car was in a crate, baggie or box. I have been working on getting the outside and inside sanded and primered, getting it ready for paint.

Everything had been removed from the doors. The last pieces of rubber finally showed up and I am ready to start installing the windows back into the doors. I have been lubing the regulators with white lithium grease out of a spray can over the last couple of months and they are ten times better than when I first tried to roll them up.

I have the windows on the regulators. I have new outer scrapers, new inner scrapers, all rubber for the wing windows (I think). I forgot to buy the short and long felt channels. I will be ordering those this week.

I am a newbie when it comes to body work and am at a loss as to how to reassemble everything.

By that I mean… In what order should I install all the components? First to Last.
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: REBUILDING THE DOOR WINDOWS Reply with quote

Here are a couple of YouTube videos that should be a big help.

Replacing the rubber seal around the vent window glass is almost always a real pain. In this video, Chris Vallone describes a workaround for this that is much easier. He discusses doing it on an early bug, but there's no reason the technique wouldn't work on your '70.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trzHLG1BUEQ

This video is an excellent demonstration of how to replace the window scrapers and felt channels. I just finished doing this on my '69. I suggest getting some new clips for the top/rear felt channel. The old ones are probably a bit rusty and the tabs can easily break off while removing or reinstalling. The only thing I would do differently than the video shows is to install the inner scraper before the outer scraper. The clips on the inner scrapers can pull out of the scraper pretty easily, so you want more room for your fingers to get in there and press them in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m578JxH_YGc

Hope all goes well as you tackle this task!

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
NAZglen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding the Door Windows Reply with quote

Thanks for the links. I downloaded all of Vallones YouTube videos regarding doors/windows. since he is working on earlier bugs..... I am hoping the sequence holds true for my '70. Looking for other door/window videos now.
NAZglen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding the Door Windows Reply with quote

A couple of months ago I attempted replacing the rubber on my 70 bugs drivers vent window. I used two or three bar clamps to try and push the glass into the rubber and frame. But they kept getting in each others way.

I kinda got it to pull the glass into the rubber and frame. I waited overnight and in the morning saw that the top of the frame (above the hinge) and slipped out a little.

So I built a jig out of scrap plywood, some 1x1 and wood shims. It took an hour or two to get this built. I am hoping the wood shims will help push the glass and rubber all the way into the frame.

Hoping to try it out today and see how it works.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding the Door Windows Reply with quote

NAZglen wrote:
I kinda got it to pull the glass into the rubber and frame. I waited overnight and in the morning saw that the top of the frame (above the hinge) and slipped out a little.

So I built a jig out of scrap plywood, some 1x1 and wood shims. It took an hour or two to get this built. I am hoping the wood shims will help push the glass and rubber all the way into the frame.

Hoping to try it out today and see how it works.

So it sounds like the rubber seal is slowly pushing the glass back out. The jig is a great idea for stabilizing it once the glass is completely in. I wonder how long the vent window assembly would need to sit in the jig so the seal would permanently compress to the point that it will not start pushing the glass out. Please let us know how this works out.

Just curious ... did you try the method Chris Vallone showed in his video? If so, what are your thoughts about the technique?

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding the Door Windows Reply with quote

VW originally used a factory jig to install these vent window seals:

While these original jigs are pretty much NLA nowadays, many folks have used scratch-built wooden jigs and pressing clamp setups similar to that shown below to do the same thing:

If you don't have a jigsaw to cut out supporting backing for vent frame like shown above, you can position and screw down several short blocks of wood to do the same.

You'll want to lubricate the rubber sealing strip and vent frame with talcum powder before starting installation, like noted in the original VW instructions above. Use real talcum powder, not "baby powder" (which is usually corn starch nowadays, and doesn't work for lubricating rubber seals) -- e.g. "Anti-Monkey Butt" original formula is still made with real talc powder, I believe. Just put seals and frame in a big ziplock bag with talcum powder, shake until everything is thoroughly coated in the talc, and then remove your pieces and blow off the excess powder.

When pressing the glass and rubber into the vent frame, take your time applying pressure with the clamps. I.e, carefully tighten a bit, making sure glass sliding in fairly evenly w/ the frame. Then wait a few minutes for the rubber to slide and settle, prior to applying bit more pressure and waiting again, etc.

Once you've got everything fully pressed into place, I'd recommend leaving the window in the jig overnight, before releasing clamp pressure the next day. Window ought to hold in place at that point, and you can then carefully trim off the excess rubber seal using razor blade or similar (note that you may find it helpful to heat and bend a razor corner, to fit in the rain channel at bottom of frame).

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GedasV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding the Door Windows Reply with quote

Hello!

Who can explain me how to assemble Bug's vent window to it's frame?
I have bought OEM rivets 111 837 648 and 111 837 650 parts for rivets, and 111 837 637 washers many years ago. Now I rebuilded both my Bug"s vent windows and frames. I tried to look for some pliers for those special rivets, but I couldn't find any suitable pliers.
May be someone knows how to do?
Google, Youtube didn't help.....
Thanks!
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding the Door Windows Reply with quote

GedasV wrote:
Hello! Now I rebuilded both my Bug"s vent windows and frames. I tried to look for some pliers for those special rivets, but I couldn't find any suitable pliers.
May be someone knows how to do?
Google, Youtube didn't help.....
Thanks!

Search vent window rivet setting tool. Also, here's a thread on the subject -- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=481959
GedasV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding the Door Windows Reply with quote

Thanks!

I found one theme about these rivets-
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712337
NAZglen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding the Door Windows Reply with quote

Well the jig I made worked great. I did it in two steps. I glued the rubber to the frame, put the glass in without any adhesive and put it in the jig overnight. The next day I glued the glass into the rubber.

I used a Q-tip to spread the glue evenly.

The Liquid Nails Max was still gooey after 24 hours in the garage. Daytime temps here in Prescott are in the mid 40's. Nightime temps have been dropping into 20's. I brought it into the house and it had hardened the next day. I glued up the drivers side and brought it inside. The Liquid Nails was hard the next day. So it took 5 days. If it was warmer, it would have probably taken two days.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: