Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1990 Vanagon Engine Rebuild
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas18
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject: 1990 Vanagon Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Just got a Westy (1990 Vanagon) to restore in Southern California. Car has a 1.9L in it, swapped before the last owner. Trying to debate my options for swapping the engine or rebuilding.

It starts. But is very sad and drips oil.

Options that I’m seeing.
1.) rebuilding this engine. Having a hard time finding a mechanic that is even interested in doing this in San Diego. But think I have someone. No idea on cost.

2.) Buy a rebuilt 1.9L or 2.1L and swap em. 4k

(I’d feel comfortable swapping engine/clutch, just not rebuilding the engine itself)

3.) go for the GoWesty rebuilt engine. 6-7k

Any thoughts. Most of the previous comments are pre-inflated 2023 costs. And looking for advice for what people are paying right now.

Just not sure if the GW options are worth almost twice the cost as a rebuilt motor.

Just looking to do western highway driving with not much off-road.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Vanagon Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

San Diego? Call markswagen, mobile VW mechanic who posts here a lot.

https://www.facebook.com/rubbachicken/
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Vanagon Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Is it a 1.9 with 2.1 cooling and fuel injection ir is it a complete 1.9 design engine system?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Vanagon Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Thomas18 wrote:
Options that I’m seeing.
1.) rebuilding this engine. Having a hard time finding a mechanic that is even interested in doing this in San Diego. But think I have someone. No idea on cost.

This leads me to believe you are not mechanically inclined or have the facilities to rebuild the engine yourself. This is/was me.

I bought a rebuilt 2.1 from a fellow who went to Subieland. The engine he took out had been rebuilt <5k before the swap. $800. From another guy who went with Bostig, but had bought a bunch of stuff to fix his WBX and never got around to it, I bought new heads, ECU, engine harness and some other stuff. I had my local mechanic do the swap. While-in-there syndrome, I did a new exhaust system, swapped out the heads, all new clutch parts. $5k. Part of the cost incurred was a ground he couldn't find and took many hours trying to track down. So let's say 5k all up including the engine if you had a T3 knowledgable guy doing it. Others will have much to say about the cost of just the swap, but you probably should do the exhaust. A GW engine will have the clutch parts installed.

Read this, a good GW article. https://gowesty.com/blogs/article-library/engine-replacement-what-does-that-cost And to add to what they say, what about the 30 YO plus ECU/engine harness? I am currently have extremely frustrating problems with intermittent harness issues. Remember a 30 YO car needs more than just maintenance as GW says. IT NEEDS RESTORATION. A very different kettle of fish. If I were to do a WBX rebuilt today or a new GW 2.2, I would do everything GW says in their article PLUS the harness. Also new major battery and alternator wiring, And add to all of that the cost of having every single engine bay ground being polished with protective grease added afterwards. With cooling and fuel hoses, thermostat, temp II and O2, I can't imagine doing this for less than 6 or 7 for the labor and parts install on top of the engine cost. And with while-you're-in-there, a tuned SS exhaust?

Remember all this is said from my personal experience as a non gear head and others will have far different opinions.

Of course, you can do a Q & D swap and then patch it up as you have break downs from auxiliary systems, but............... For example, a total catastrophic coolant loss from breakage of the old plastic coolant tower could easily fry the engine and you are back to square one. GW's last sentence on this is worth remembering. "There is never enough time or money to do it right, but there is always plenty of both to do it again!"

Good luck with whatever you decide to do..

Duncan
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Vanagon Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Thomas18 wrote:
1.) rebuilding this engine. ... No idea on cost.

I can help you with that...

~$1000 for a bare bones rebuild yourself, $3600 with fun upgrades and refreshed ignition/coolant/fuel systems (numbers from 2020)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9460106&highlight=spreadsheet#9460106
JEL91Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Vanagon Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Not to question anyone else’s numbers, but I JUST did this and without really adding it all up (some things are best left vague), I am in for probably $10k.

Roughly as follows:

$7k- with me removing and installing the motor for the rebuild. This includes a complete rebuild including cam, pistons, heads (with machining),etc. and rebuilt tranny and new clutch.

Then all new hoses, new radiator, new GW SS exhaust w/cat, new thermostat housing and all the associated little bits and pieces add up to another $3k or so.

Add in a lot of time hunched over the engine or under it, and consulting this forum and Bentley and it amounts to a “memorable” and certainly not inexpensive experience.

Justifiable to me, and probably many others on here, because in my opinion 30yrs later there is still nothing truly comparable.

Good luck!

Joe
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Vanagon Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Yeah, the more data points on this the better. Hopefully others will spreadsheet document their builds.

My build required no machining, no trans rebuild, no timeline, and was prepandemic. I also had two motors in relatively good shape to build from, the second motor was free and had fresh heads. A change in any of these would have increased my costs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: