Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first split window bus. 1963 15 window
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desert westy wrote:
The JB Weld Is shaped like a square above the rod for the number 1 cylinder

If nothing else got damaged then it is mostly cosmetic. If you can make it not splash-leak then it should go forever like that.
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third owner and with second owner's kids knocking on your door bringing you original parts....... Doesn't get much better!

Makes me sad that I had to sell my original, rust free '59 15 window which was also SWR/BG. Crying or Very sad

But I'm very happy for you Very Happy

Absolutely brilliant! Cool
BUGTHUG
Samba's Rented Mule

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is a heart warming story, I'm glad there are still busses hiding and are showing up. I, along with others are glad you are doing the right thing in the repairs and not changing a lot of stuff. If the 2nd owner shows up with a OG seat and you want to sell that one, I need one for my 63 , 15 window Smile

1963 15 window bus
1966 VW bug
1966 21 window micro bus
1969 Dune Buggy
1965 VW bug
1974 VW bug
1972 Kelmark, VW drive line
1948 Chevrolet Hearse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My first split window bus. 1963 15 window Reply with quote

Just read this cover to cover. Awesome bus and story! Every now and again somebody is in the right place at the right time and the bus ends up in the right hands. I'm so glad you chose to preserve it rather than restore...

Was the middle seat the bus was born with ever found?
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My first split window bus. 1963 15 window Reply with quote

One of the nicest original paint desert finds ever! I love this bus. Thanks for sharing.

RHD Notch wrote:
Just read this cover to cover. Awesome bus and story! Every now and again somebody is in the right place at the right time and the bus ends up in the right hands. I'm so glad you chose to preserve it rather than restore...

Was the middle seat the bus was born with ever found?

desert westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My first split window bus. 1963 15 window Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments. Bus has not been reunited with its original middle seat yet, but I did make an interesting "find" today. I was cleaning out the garage and found a set of what I am thinking are the original splash pans. When I first found this bus, I did not know a thing about split windows. The bus was used as a storage shed so I grabbed what I thought was VW and left everything else behind. Now that I've learned a few things, I am certain that I missed a few things. Next time, I am taking everything.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, I have been collecting parts for a new motor. Plan is to build a 1600 single port that will look the a 1500 that came in a 63 bus. Here are some of the parts:

All of these parts have been sourced/rebuilt by Samba members. I'll be using a new case, new heads, counterweighted crank and would like to use a doghouse cooliing shroud. Generator is 12 volt, but fits in a 6 volt stand. I will be driving to shows soon...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My first split window bus. 1963 15 window Reply with quote

If you are going with 1600 P&Cs, might consider going with a 74 mm CW crankshaft instead. Will need little to no clearancing, and a little shimming between case and cylinders to keep the compression down.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My first split window bus. 1963 15 window Reply with quote

Some nice parts there!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desert westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My first split window bus. 1963 15 window Reply with quote

New motor is almost done. 1600 single port with a dog house oil cooler and 12 volt generator. Built to look like a stock 1963 1500. All parts purchased from or rebuilt by TheSamba members
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My first split window bus. 1963 15 window Reply with quote

Looks nice!

The vacuum line needs some TLC to keep fuel getting into the distributor vacuum can, ruining the rubber diaphragm.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My first split window bus. 1963 15 window Reply with quote

Metal fuel pump to carb line is also a nice item to have.

From the early 1963 model bus Owner Manual:

desert westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My first split window bus. 1963 15 window Reply with quote

I have had this tent for a few years. It's a Sundial Pent-Tent. Realized I put it on backwards after it was on the roof. Not sure if I am brave enough to climb up the ladder.
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My first split window bus. 1963 15 window Reply with quote

I definitely wouldn't climb the ladder with it on the long panel like that. Sweet tent thought.

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desert westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My first split window bus. 1963 15 window Reply with quote

Broke down for the first time. The outlet tube on the fuel pump popped off resulting in a gas soaked distributor. This is a nicely rebuilt fuel pump purchased from a reputable samba member. The tube seems to be the same on both sides and I am wondering if simply presses back into the fuel pump. I doubt that I'll reuse this pump, probably order another and keep this as a spare. Time to order a Blazecut extinguisher.

Fuel pump is the one pictured a few posts above.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My first split window bus. 1963 15 window Reply with quote

Just put the tube back in and use a center punch around the hole to crimp it back in. Can also do a poor mans knurl on the tube end to go back into the hole.
desert westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: My first split window bus. 1963 15 window Reply with quote

Finally installed a headliner. Just need a few more windows and feel like I’m done.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: My first split window bus. 1963 15 window Reply with quote

Headliner looks great!!! I'm sure it's really quiet now when you're driving.
desert westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: My first split window bus. 1963 15 window Reply with quote

Octavio recommended and installed Dynamat under the headliner. Made a huge difference.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: