Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BayStYat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

what would cause high transmission temp? 248 Deg F
flat interstate driving

RPMs are 2750 at 60MPH
New transmission cooler
New oil change (checked level 3 times)

I am at a loss.

Last edited by BayStYat on Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Reply with quote

depends on how mechanically included you are. From what I have read, it basically requires an engine/transmission removal to do. TC don't generally go bad is what I have also read. Bad trans issues are a result of bad valve body, ribbon cable or just a bad trans.

Best of luck.
BayStYat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
depends on how mechanically included you are. From what I have read, it basically requires an engine/transmission removal to do. TC don't generally go bad is what I have also read. Bad trans issues are a result of bad valve body, ribbon cable or just a bad trans.

Best of luck.

Thank you sir for that information. Would you happen to know some of the systems of a bad ribbon cable? My problem is after installing a transmission cooler. My transmission now runs at 245°F.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

Look to that cooler is there a thermosatic switch in there in between, going the right way?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

How are you measuring it? Verify the measurement with an ir gun before you dive in
BayStYat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Look to that cooler is there a thermosatic switch in there in between, going the right way?

no sir. i did not go with the thermostat switch.
BayStYat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
How are you measuring it? Verify the measurement with an ir gun before you dive in

I am using the Scan Gauge II.

Ok i did a 40 mile round trip half interstate 65mph. measured with a IR thermostat

pulled over off interstate 171 at the oil pan after 10 miles at 65
120 in the cooler
107 out the cooler

pulled in to the driveway 8 miles off the interstate some stop and go. 198 oil pan
120 in the cooler
101 out the cooler
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

Is your ScanGauge properly programmed for the x-gauge trans temp? The off-the-shelf trans temp in the ScanGauge will overreport the temperature.

See https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-commands/vw/ for more info on the special programming codes required for ScanGauge II in the Eurovan application.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BayStYat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Is your ScanGauge properly programmed for the x-gauge trans temp? The off-the-shelf trans temp in the ScanGauge will overreport the temperature.

See https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-commands/vw/ for more info on the special programming codes required for ScanGauge II in the Eurovan application.

kourt

Thank you. I don’t know if it was. I just sent it in to SC for the Eurovan firmware.

I will do that for sure.

Does the temps I got from the IR thermostat sound ok?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

The temps you list as measured at the cooler seem very low. The trans oil pan temps seem about correct.

It could be that the trans is not getting hot enough for the Derale thermostat to open, which would result in hot ATF going to the cooler in front of the radiator.

I have the GoWesty cooler with the Derale thermostat and my Scangauge 3 indicates a solid 185F temperature when running 75MPH on flat roads on a 70 degree day, and it really never gets above 205F as long as it's not hot outside.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BayStYat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
The temps you list as measured at the cooler seem very low. The trans oil pan temps seem about correct.

It could be that the trans is not getting hot enough for the Derale thermostat to open, which would result in hot ATF going to the cooler in front of the radiator.

I have the GoWesty cooler with the Derale thermostat and my Scangauge 3 indicates a solid 185F temperature when running 75MPH on flat roads on a 70 degree day, and it really never gets above 205F as long as it's not hot outside.

kourt

Kourt

I measured the cooler at the aluminum in/out barb fittings.

thank you. I do not have a thermostat in line of the cooler. Could not having the thermostat be a problem?

also I have the 2002 Eurovan Vista Winnebago
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

BayStYat wrote:
kourt wrote:

kourt

Kourt

thank you. I do not have a thermostat in line of the cooler. Could not having the thermostat be a problem?

Odd you changed the title and all the contents of your initial post.

The trans functions properly when the fluid is up to temp. Too cold and it will have some shifting issues. The thermostat not only helps the ATF get up to temp quicker, but to prevent overcooling in cold climates. 180 is when they open.
BayStYat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
BayStYat wrote:
kourt wrote:

kourt

Kourt

Odd you changed the title and all the contents of your initial post.

The trans functions properly when the fluid is up to temp. Too cold and it will have some shifting issues. The thermostat not only helps the ATF get up to temp quicker, but to prevent overcooling in cold climates. 180 is when they open.

Thanks. I did not want to create a new thread.
BayStYat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

My scan gauge is reading 15-25 degrees higher than the transmission pan with an infrared thermometer.

What should I trust?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

You didn't answer the question of whether or not your ScanGuauge is reading X-gauge temps from the special configs (requires special programming, but reads at the proper temps) or from the ScanGauge default "trans temp" values, which will be 15 to 30 degrees higher. This needs to be determined with certainty.

kourt
BayStYat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

quote="kourt"]You didn't answer the question of whether or not your ScanGuauge is reading X-gauge temps from the special configs (requires special programming, but reads at the proper temps) or from the ScanGauge default "trans temp" values, which will be 15 to 30 degrees higher. This needs to be determined with certainty.

kourt[/quote]
Kourt

I did enter the FTF under the scangauge x option.

I used this tutorial

https://youtu.be/4XxPsBD1qAQ
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

Great, thanks for that followup.

kourt
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

The fluid temp sensor is soldered onto the ribbon cable attached to the solenoids so it's a more accurate reading than the pan temp.
BayStYat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan transmission temp issue Reply with quote

EuroTec wrote:
The fluid temp sensor is soldered onto the ribbon cable attached to the solenoids so it's a more accurate reading than the pan temp.

Ok thanks. I am lost why my temp is running high. Verified my convertor is locking up with the correct RPMs. Running a trans cooler. What else can I check?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: