Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Pretty car, looks like fun. So does the blue car on the lift.
While you are messing around with the shifter out of the car look at the metal clutch tube in the tunnel with a light or borescope. Check where it attaches to the pan to see if the welds have broken loose. It's held down in the middle south of the shifter, also up where the pedals are (inside the tunnel) and back under the shift coupling access point under the back seat. Those welds breaking are common and the reason for needing to shim the bowden tube, which is a temporary fix if the welds are broken.
Red color looks like the car was red once to me, maybe a respray if there is more white underneath it.
Have fun!
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

I bought one of those oh so expensive - it must be HD camera things from Harbourfreight (the watchword in quality tools) a few years ago. I think it was on special for the handsome price of $59. Does kind of work though. I’ll be sure to have a look at the clutch tube weld points once I have the car apart again. Thanks again for the advice.

I currently have something that looks like a Gene Berg T shifter on the car, but I’ve ordered a stock shifter, which I might put a short throw on. Once that arrives, I’ll start the bushing fitting and light welding of the bracket.

I made a final couple of modifications to the bushing today and left it to print over night on the good printer. I’m also printing a ‘plan B’ solution using a clip.

Set myself the deadline of Friday to have all the parts together for the shift bushing job…

If everything works out, I’m hoping to get the wheels and tires much more concentric to one another this week too!
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wooohooooo!

Steels, meet tires. Assembly soon to be meeting car!

Can I use the existing bolts?
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Mnmunky wrote:

Can I use the existing bolts?

No. You'll need stock lug nuts.

It's hard to believe you found that solid dry Ghia up north. Applause
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Thank you for that.

I was hoping, but looking at the flat face on the Empi nuts and the steels, I didn’t think they were going to mix.

I’ve been quite lucky so far with the Ghia for rust and the like. I’m sure there must be small pockets of hit waiting to jump out at me and make me sad, but so far, it’s been remarkably dry! Smile
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

My personal mile gauge clicked another 365 yesterday, and was lucky to be rewarded with a couple of new parts for the Ghia.

A stock shifter, in place of the current T shifter. Unfortunately it came quite scratched up, so will need a repaint. Still will be nice to have something a little more classic looking.

And a ‘Squirrel in shorts’ air freshener. Hope it doesn’t smell of his nuts!

Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Last night I posted on my local VW club forum, that I was looking for a set of lug nuts. I’ve seen them priced for as much as $4.50 EACH!

I shudder to think, how many I’ve let go over the years one way or another. I guess you take things for granted until you need them. Rolling Eyes

A couple of people kindly replied and this morning I toddled off to a fellow VW owners place to pick a set up. Unfortunately he wasn’t in, but he had a great collection of everything aircooled.

So after providing a few $$$, some beer and a HotWheels beetle, I’m now 20 lug nuts better off. I have them in derusting solution and hope to get them (along with the new wheels) onto the car this week!

Very excited!!!

Note to self - 72ft lbs torque dry.
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

As you might have seen in the ‘white wall’ thread, I finally have two of the wheels on my 63.

Only two because due to old age, I heard something tearing in my right elbow as I was using the bolt spider at an odd angle (wife’s car was in the way) followed by odd weakness... Sad

I’m after some thoughts and advice now please.

The previous owner thought the car was on 2” dropped spindles. To me, I just can’t see it. If it was 2” higher, it looks like it would be ready for off road duty. I know JaTech did odd drops back in the 80s (1.5” / 2” etc)

What is the samba collective thought?
This is the car from the side - tires are 165 / 80 / 15”

And this is what I can get a picture of from the rear of the brakes.

There have been so many different versions of dropped spindles over the years, but to me, these look pretty stock.

If they are stock, I’m thinking of going for a set of these Empi zero offset 2 1/2” dropped spindles.

In the past, I’ve found the quality of their stuff very hit and miss. Has anyone used a set of these?

Thanks!
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

So today I ordered the drop spindles from Cip1.

Measuring the car from the center of the hub spindle dust cap, to the fender lip immediately above it, was 14”, so a 2 1/2” drop should take me somewhere a little closer to ‘snug’!

I guess I will be the first to try out the Empi zero offset spindles for quality and whether they do what they say and give a drop with no additional offset.

The total with shipping (free) was $269, as Cip1 have a 10% offer if you spend $300. That meant I could buy a couple of other parts I wanted without too much extra $$$ added.
Now anyone got any good ideas for hiding credit card bills… Very Happy
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Clipped on some beauty rings on the rear end tonight. I think with nice chromed hubcaps, they will be ‘just the job’!

Also, the new zero offset spindles by Empi arrived. Targeting the end of March to have them fitted and functional.

Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Managed to fight the snow and ice and get the car turned around.

That gave me enough room to put the wheels on the other side. Had a junior tech give me a hand!

I’m going to be putting the dropped spindles on the front, but the back can stay for now. So on with the baby moons (not my first choice but part of a bundle deal with the wheels). Man did they resist the cap going on. It wasn’t helped that the clips had been bonded to the wheel on the free end by the red paint!

And then to finish it off, added beauty rings.

I’m surprised how much I liked it before the rings went on. Still, need to get the front spindles on and everything finished before I decide whether the beauty rings will stay or not.

I wasn’t up for the spindle fight on Sunday morning, so called it a day at that!
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

I know it’s not apples to apples, but I played natural hell to get my drop spindles to fit without rubbing the fender. I went through two different sets of wheels and finally found a combination that works. However, I’ve lost turning radius.
I’m using ball joint disc brake spindles so, hopefully your drum brakes spindles will be a different story.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I know it’s not apples to apples, but I played natural hell to get my drop spindles to fit without rubbing the fender. I went through two different sets of wheels and finally found a combination that works. However, I’ve lost turning radius.
I’m using ball joint disc brake spindles so, hopefully your drum brakes spindles will be a different story.

I wish I was using ball joints too. I have link pins and this is going to be my first foray into fighting them.

I’m trying to be optimistic, but I fear it’s going to be one of those rabbit holes you jump down and eventually come back to the world of stock…

I can see a narrowed beam in my future - even if these are truly zero offset spindles. That then leads to its own issues as I really don’t want to lose the tires and wheels. I was brave (stupid?) and bought the 5.5” ones.

I don’t know. I think I’ll get the spindles fitted and then depending on what happens there, I will either leave it or go all out on a 4” narrowed beam and airbags. If it’s going to be significantly compromised, it might as well be a worthwhile type of compromise!

The lime bug kit looks good as does the Eva Resto kit. At this rate, I’ll never get to the 912!
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

Very little to no progress on the car over the past month or so. Work, house related jobs and travel have largely stopped play.
However, I did play with some editing software on a recent plane trip…

Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

So as a cautionary tale to all… Shocked

Dune Buggy Supply in Norwood Young America (thanks Sam - you are a complete star) kindly wrestled the lowered spindles on to my 63 (after I chickened out of the reaming of the King/link pin assembly). Whether the Empi dropped spindles are zero offset or otherwise, as soon as you start driving, the wheels rub.

So as a record for others, my set up currently is…

Stock beam and shocks
Empi 2 1/2” lowering zero offset spindles
165 / 80 / R15 kontio white wall tires
Chinese 5.5” wide 5 solids

It’s all so close, but even with a light tug on the fenders, this just isn’t going to work.

Car looks good parked though (pics to follow).

For now, I’m going to try putting some 135 R15s on it and hopefully I can get away with that, until I can invest in a narrowed beam. New tires on order, so I guess I will find out next week!

Last edited by Mnmunky on Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

I've been through much of the pain that you're now experiencing with 2.5 inch dropped spindles. I solved the rubbing issues by installing smaller tyres on the front. By smaller, I mean tyres with a lower profile.

BUT, when I tried to use my Porsche 914 rims, the 2.5 inch lowering was too much by half an inch.

Many dollars later, I re-installed the original spindles with an adjustable beam.

Still, there is a perverse pleasure in working on these cars; without problems there wouldn't be much satisfaction at all.
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Still, there is a perverse pleasure in working on these cars; without problems there wouldn't be much satisfaction at all.

Very Happy
Isn’t that the truth!!!

Hopefully the tires will let me get to a couple of local meets I had in mind for this year.

I’ve just spent the last hour agonizing over the hopefully ‘soon to be purchased’ front end hardware (narrowed); that is full of promise, but will probably all end back up on the garage shelf and the classifieds, after I’ve fought with it for a month or six!
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

In other news, like many of us, I’m not adverse to ‘collecting adult representations of my chosen beauty of my minds eye’… sorry, ‘dimensionally accurate scale models’… ok, toy cars of cars I like. Razz

My collection of Jada VDubs Karmann Ghias has slowly grown over the years, so now when I find one, it has to be a fair price (they are close to $100 on eBay now) and a color I don’t already have.

This less than perfect example came up for a mere $20, so couldn’t say no, even though I already have a red coupe.

So it’s time to dismantle it ready for paint in a new color.

One thing I’ve never really liked, is the roof bar with the surfboard laid on top. What’s worse, the bar was broken on this model when I picked it up.

I’ve toyed with the idea of just filling the holes on this one (as it’s going to just be repainted), but thought I could try something different with it, as it was already in pieces.

Now I know these roof racks aren’t for everyone, but I need to fit one, to cover up the 4 holes on at least one or two of the collection. So I drew this up.

And then today I needed to run a test print for work, so added this to the print tray.

I think it needs another slat across the back, and a couple of little stand offs to hold a set height. I’m also thinking of using Mattel pins (push fit hex) so adhesive is optional. As a first pass print though, I think I guessed the roof curve pretty well.

I just need to finish taking the brightwork off the shell and choosing a color, then I can get going and reassemble!
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

So I think I’ve decided on the route forward for the future lowered set up for my Ghia. Hopefully it will be interesting for others, so will document it here.

Tried to place an order for the parts today, but there was no answer when I called the company. Hopefully I will be able to catch them on Monday!

Narrowed beam and a rear drop, here we come!
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 to 22 = 63 (Ghia) Reply with quote

So here is the Ghia.

Absolutely gutted that the front wheels rub.

So I’m chasing Max at EvaResto to buy one of their air ride set-ups.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZh2ef3L6IE

At least that way, I should be able to fit the whitewalls I’ve bought. In the meantime, I’ve ordered some 135 R15s that I’m just hoping will have small enough wall sections to let me use the car for the next few weeks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: