Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Member 71 Karmann Ghia
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FunKar 71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Happy New Year. I am looking forward to joining this form to kelp me finish the restoration of a 71 Karmann Ghia.

This car has been in storage for over 20 years and the pictures are how I first saw it at my brothers shop. I am not sure of all the details but do know he bought it from the son of his best friend who is deceased.

You can see they started putting in a wiring harness but didn't finish. The wiring harness is for a 72 and this car is a 71...will this be a problem? Where do I start!

I plan to vacuum the mouse dropping and wipe the car clean to get to know it better. I have both the Hannes and Chilton VW manuals. The instructions for the wiring harness are with the car.

I am from Kitchener Ontario Canada and if anyone knows any Ontario/Canadian vendors for parts etc that would be appreciated
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Both front and rear lids cables are broken and this might be a good place to start. Any advice?
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Welcome! Looks like a great start for a nice project. The front hood can be opened by reaching your arm up through the horn boot opening and manipulating the latch. The rear might be a little more difficult if the engine tin is in place.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

SandHamwich wrote:
Welcome! Looks like a great start for a nice project. The front hood can be opened by reaching your arm up through the horn boot opening and manipulating the latch. The rear might be a little more difficult if the engine tin is in place.

The rear latch is held down by 4 bolts. If the cable is broken, one could still open the rear hood by cutting grooves in those bolts from underneath and using a screwdriver to turn the bolts anti-clockwise.
FunKar 71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome.

I will give the front hood a try. I note the latch is in the glove box and doesn't work. Can I get to the wire if I remove the glove box.

The engine is out and I have a rag over the bottom catch so I can always open the rear lid. I was looking to buy and replace the cable and will try to source one or look into other solutions. suggestions?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

FunKar 71 wrote:
Thanks for the welcome.

I will give the front hood a try. I note the latch is in the glove box and doesn't work. Can I get to the wire if I remove the glove box.

The engine is out and I have a rag over the bottom catch so I can always open the rear lid. I was looking to buy and replace the cable and will try to source one or look into other solutions. suggestions?

I usually buy most of my parts from Airhead, formerly Karmann Ghia Parts and Restorations. They will have the cable and conduit.
Don’t use the 72 loom, it has way more wires and the 72 has different taillight and instrument cluster. Get one specified to work with your 71.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba. You'll get lots of help here. Make sure to check out the "Stickies" section of the Ghia Forum. There's lots of great threads there including some other 71 restorations. The Bentley orange repair manual is a must. Here's a link:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2539415
You can find them in the Samba classified or on Ebay as well as other online book sellers. As to the engine deck lid Latch, many Ghias, mine included, have them removed. The lid stays down just fine and you avoid the risk of getting locked out. Putting slots in the bolts as previously mentioned is also a smart idea.

CIP1 Is another VW parts supplier and they have a Canadian devision.
https://www2.cip1.com/#
Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc

Last edited by Marcdeb on Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

A Canadian supplier for parts is www.cip1.com in Vancouver.

I got the bulk of the parts for my 71 Ghia Vert from there.

And don't forget to use the 1972 Ghia Parts Catalog available here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1972_...201972.pdf

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

CIP stocks mostly WCM products which from my experience are lower in quality.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Concept1 in Calgary has been great. I know they do Canada wide shipping.
Looks like your well past needing body tin but if you do the Jopex brand they carry fits well. Good selection of Ghia specific parts too.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum, good to see another 71 convertible! As mentioned previously, lots of help here and topics of discussion that should help you with your build. Use the search tab at the top of the home page and type in keywords to find plenty of topics to read.

Keep us updated on your build and post pics as you progress or have questions!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
ghiamanjc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

FunCar - Welcome to the fun world of KGs. I upvote all the previous posts.

One more suggestion - join the Canadian KG group on Fbook if you have any questions that demand a Canadian accent. There is a sub-group on there of KG owners in Ontario (I'm in Vancouver where we have about 80 x KGs).

DM me anytime. [email protected]
Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Welcome to the show.
Www.cip1.ca have been great to deal with and free Canadian shipping on orders over $100 (not hard to get there).

I have a 71 convertible too, so if you ever need to see one complete for reference just let me know. I am just outside of Ancaster. I can do detailed pictures for you too if you need them.

Andy.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Welcome to the sickness Cool
A few other places I like to check out.

https://vwnos.com/
https://www.bugcity.com/
https://aircooledartifacts.com/

None of the above vendors are Ghia specific but you can find some very nice quality parts.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
FunKar 71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

I haven't had much time to work on the Ghia but did mange to open the trunk through the horn hole. I removed most of the rubber boot and was able to squeeze my arm up and locate the catch wire and pull it to the left. Here is what I found.

FunKar 71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

I plan to short through the rest of the parts that came with the car and compiling a list of parts I will need to get it back on the road.

I believe that the former person who was restoring this car over 25 years ago and had a plan. I can see he was installing a new wiring harness and need to figure out where he left off.

Does anyone on this form have experience with rewiring a 71 Ghia and can mentor me through the process. You need to understand that I have limited mechanical experience but look at this as a great hobby for a 72 year old geezer!
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Nice parts stash!
If you broke into the boot you can rewire the car.
I wired my 67 coupe with a wiring diagram and some instruction from the Samba collective.
I have (had) little skill in that department.
Slow and steady. Ask questions her. We can help. Just ask Trylon😎

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

FunKar 71 wrote:
a 71 Ghia
It's not my intention to be rude, but looking through your gallery I started to wonder what is the VIN of this Ghia? I'm asking in part because the photo of the label, i.e., C17-WK-143-72-73, indicates a wiring harness for a '72-'73 Ghia. Of course that wouldn't preclude getting it wired up as is, but I think there could be some consternation if a number of wires in a '72-'73 harness would not be utilized in an earlier Ghia. Think If I were embarking on this wiring project I would first compare the wiring diagrams (under the Technical pull-down menu in TheSamba banner) for the '72-'73 years with the appropriate diagram for this car in order to identify/mark the requisite wires, then tie back any extra wires to avoid confusion. You could make connections as you go and be none the worse for wear.
FunKar 71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice . The VIN# 1412099696 is in my original post and when I looked it up it says for a 71 Ghia. I noted the package for the wiring indicated it was for a 72-73 Ghia . One of the members recommended getting the right wiring harness due to the difference mainly in the taillights. I looked at the way the taillights are wired and everything looks good with no extra wires and no splices.

I can't conceiver the original restorer would purchase the wrong wiring harness! Could the lower frame which has the serial # be a 71 with the body being a 72?

I really need to spend more time on this website to learn more about these cars. Unfortunately the car is a bit of a drive to get to and there is no WIFI..
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

FunKar 71 wrote:
The VIN# 1412099696 is in my original post...
My bad, I overlooked that, saw the VIN tag was missing from the dash pad, couldn't read the number on the pan VIN photo, and got confused by the tag near the spare. I figure you might've come across extra wiring related to the diagnostic apparatus VW rolled out around the end of '71, but if the PO removed it from the newer harness no harm, no foul. If the loose ends are just what you have behind the dash then you're on the home stretch. See if you can match the wires (colors/stripes) in the car to the '71 wiring diagram as mentioned, if not you may be testing continuity hither and yon. You have to be pretty darned spry to get your arm past the horn to open the hood; respect Applause By the way, did that Ghia come with a top frame?
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member 71 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

FunKar 71 wrote:
Thank you for your advice . The VIN# 1412099696 is in my original post and when I looked it up it says for a 71 Ghia. I noted the package for the wiring indicated it was for a 72-73 Ghia . One of the members recommended getting the right wiring harness due to the difference mainly in the taillights. I looked at the way the taillights are wired and everything looks good with no extra wires and no splices.

I can't conceiver the original restorer would purchase the wrong wiring harness! Could the lower frame which has the serial # be a 71 with the body being a 72?

I really need to spend more time on this website to learn more about these cars. Unfortunately the car is a bit of a drive to get to and there is no WIFI..

Your car has the correct 71 dash. The 72 dash was different. Yes there are differences in the taillights from 71 to 72, but the really big difference is going to be wiring the dash, as it's completely different with different gauges, different warning lights, different fresh air controls, etc. I think the fuse box was different from 71 to 72 also. If it were me I'd scrap the 72 harness and get the correct one. I don't think it's all that uncommon for people who were working on these cars 20 years ago when they were essentially worthless to buy incorrect parts and try and make them work. It may have been the only harness that the guy could get at the time.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: