Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srbarker0422
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

Looking for the best place to get a "Sturdy" Shift coupler with rubber inserts and set screw
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

No recommendation, but... keep all your old parts. The new metal parts generally suck, and the old ones don't usually wear out, just the rubber. Avoid urethane unless you like noise.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West, or West Coast Metric.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

srbarker0422 wrote:
Looking for the best place to get a "Sturdy" Shift coupler with rubber inserts and set screw

How about a NOS one? PM me if interested.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

My rubber parts were bad on my 1970 back in 2017
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I ordered a brand-new one, but the opening was too small to fit over the end. So I used the rubber parts in my original cage. Amazing how someone or some shop just trying to copy a part and messing up so badly.....pretty embarrassing !!!

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
My rubber parts were bad on my 1970 back in 2017

I ordered a brand-new one, but the opening was too small to fit over the end. So I used the rubber parts in my original cage. Amazing how someone or some shop just trying to copy a part and messing up so badly.....pretty embarrassing !!!

Did the same New steel parts were junk just stole the new rubber bits rest went right in the circular file. Love those EMPI parts Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

NOS
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2517877
BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

That NOS looks more like new Mexican original VW. I bought one of those (with the Audi symbol, the old ones don't have , and the terrible bashed out end of the inner tube...) and consider myself lucky to have been able to reuse the rubbers. Even the set screw was drilled at an angle. Terrible.
1971 Stock South African Beetle 1300 : My mom's european "Thin Chick" spec. Completely stock with torsion bar front, swingaxle rear, smooth hubs, single MC, 40 mm shoes, 31PICT3 carb and 5 bolt drums all round, currently Running a 1976 SF:AS engine with the original SF:AD engine overhauled in a box, waiting to go back in one day.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

The shift coupler is that one place red urethane works great. Use it with the factory housing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1260788

Billet

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
NOS
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2517877

Why is this one $64 and the other is $9.

$64
https://www.vwnos.com/311-798-211

$9
https://www.vwnos.com/311-798-211-2

Tells me that NOS is not always the same.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

The billet that Glenn posted is worth every cent. The other cages are garbage. I’m just running a regular shifter with the bullet and an EMPI short shift kit and it’s great.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

I'm using the Rhino version from CB Performance.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6110.htm

Works really well but we'll all have to wait to see how it is in 50 years.

The billet one looks nice but how much vibration gets transferred to the shift lever?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

Like a shifting a palm sander.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

$64

$9

NOS is not always the same. West German parts are the best. Followed by Germany and then early Brazilian/Mexican. You can compare West German to Brazilian and the Brazilian will look awful. You can compare Brazilian with stuff made now and the Brazilian will look like gold.

The $9 one was most recently made. If you look at the screw it is not so great but the pads are wonderful. The other one is about 20 years older

Does the billet one have metal on metal wear?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Glenn wrote:

$64

$9

NOS is not always the same. West German parts are the best. Followed by Germany and then early Brazilian/Mexican. You can compare West German to Brazilian and the Brazilian will look awful. You can compare Brazilian with stuff made now and the Brazilian will look like gold.

The $9 one was most recently made. If you look at the screw it is not so great but the pads are wonderful. The other one is about 20 years older

Makes sense.

Some people include parts not made by VW as NOS if they are old. I've even seen currently available stuff listed as NOS.

The price difference is understandable.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Some people include parts not made by VW as NOS if they are old. I've even

I've seen this conversation many times.
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Glenn wrote:

$64

$9

Does the billet one have metal on metal wear?

Sir, will the pads in the $9 one fit snuggly in a 50 year old original coupler. Thank you
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

DesertG wrote:
Sir, will the pads in the $9 one fit snuggly in a 50 year old original coupler. Thank you

That's what I did on mine, as the brand new shift coupler on the right was too small to fit over the shift rod. One might think that to copy an original German part would not be rocket science, but one can readily see the difference here.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler for 1969 VW Bug Reply with quote

If you have the original coupler and it is not damaged or bent I'd take the pads from the $9 one and put them into the original coupler. The older couplers are better.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: