Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Fuel injection questions thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
admvw78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Replaced front fuel lines. Had to temporarily stretch a 3/8" ID over the fuel filter to pump as Autozone / Advance / Ace didn't have any 7/16". That done, it managed to start, I adjusted the distributor to get it to run on its own, and let it run for a bit.

Looking around, I found gas leaking at the front. Tightened the hose clamps going into the tunnel by the fuel pump, and sealed that leak off.

....Then... decent size puddle leaking in the back. I hadn't touched the hoses in the back but it appeared to be the hose that comes through the fire wall and goes over the transaxle to the tunnel. I tried tightening the clamp, but then it just came spraying out suddenly. I replaced that hose with a new one and my last couple of ABA clamps.

No leaks!

Though I do have a couple of questions:

1. Where does anyone find the right diameter fuel hose? I can't come up with either 11mm or 7/16" locally (midwest), though I haven't called NAPA yet to see if they stock it at all. The only stuff I could find was SAE-J30-R7, not R9.

2. Given the recent failures, I plan to replace the hoses that are in the engine bay and put the right clamps on them. The old stuff is pretty stiff and I could break it when folding a hose, but it was new ~15 years ago. What is everyone's replacement interval for fuel hoses?

3. In the course of things I replaced all the small diameter vacuum hoses in the engine bay. What is the large (~3/4" diameter) vacuum hose correct size?

4. It's off topic, but while dealing with the gas leak, I noticed the wiring going to the transaxle. It looked to be two wires, though one had no spade on the end and was disconnected while the other had a spade connector attached to what I assume is a sensor screwed into the transaxle. Can anyone point me i in the right direction for this? What is the sensor for? Should there be two connectors or just one? For what it's worth, I haven't had any issues with the transmission, so what does this circuit do?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge,
Adam
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

1. You may have to go with the R7 and keep an eye on it.
2. I've had some R9 in service for better than 10 years, I inspect it regularly for stiffness or check marks, so far so good, R7 only lasts ~2 years now it seems.
3. Which hose?, there's an assortment of sizes, most are also molded into elbows, there are some that can be subbed with a heater hose from your FLAPS.
4. Do your backup lights work?, how many switches on the nose of the transaxle?, what year is your car?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
admvw78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
1. You may have to go with the R7 and keep an eye on it.
2. I've had some R9 in service for better than 10 years, I inspect it regularly for stiffness or check marks, so far so good, R7 only lasts ~2 years now it seems.
3. Which hose?, there's an assortment of sizes, most are also molded into elbows, there are some that can be subbed with a heater hose from your FLAPS.
4. Do your backup lights work?, how many switches on the nose of the transaxle?, what year is your car?

Sorry. Specifics: 1978 Super Convertible with original fuel injection. Restored ~15 years ago with new floor pans and heat channels, fuel tank, lines, fuel pump, fuel filter. Engine rebuilt by a shop. Drove it for 2 years (including winters before went to a different car and stored the bug. Put ~7k miles on it. It would start cold find but increasingly had a hot starting problem (pop the clutch and it wouldn't start without twisting the distributor, kept a nut driver with a 10mm socket in the car for just such occasions). For various reasons it sat on an off for the last 10 years, being driven only intermittently. Getting back into it some now in hopes of some summer joy rides (and yes, rust never sleeps...)

To the questions:
1&2. OK. Have to keep an eye on fuel lines. Got it. Frustrating, though. I'll keep hunting for some R9 stuff that'll keep me from having to pull the gas tank every 2 years (not that it's that hard...)

3. For the engine hose, I'm referring to the larger diameter braided vacuum lines that go from the MAF boot to various parts of the throttle body et al. The small rubber molded one behind the V-belt looks ok, it's the other segments that I assume should be replaced.

4. Only one plug on the nose of the transaxle. I turned the ignition on (didn't start the car), turned headlights on (they work), shifted to reverse, and saw no back up lights...

And because a bonus question is always fun, I tried the horn and got a faint honk and then nothing thereafter... Tried wiggling spades on the horn, but no change.

Thanks again,
Adam
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Here's the one odd hose: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693905&highlight=breather+hose (read to the end), other hoses are 12mm and 16mm, you'll have to try some stuff to find the fit.

The tank shouldn't have to come out to change the shorty between the filter and pump, invest in some hose pincher clamps and pinch the hose between the tank and filter.

The backup lights use 2 black wires that connect to the switch on the trans, they lead up to the RH firewall in front of the fan and Tee off to the tail lights, other wire goes to the ignition coil with an inline fuse.

Horn likely needs adjusting, try turning the little screw 1/8 turn at a time, if it gets worse go the other way, keep adding little turns until it's the loudest. This assumes the wire terminals are clean and tight.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
walarson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Fuel pressure regulator location Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Greetings. I am working on a 1976 fuel injected beetle and, as a novice, am cautiously proceeding with the project.

The dumb question of the day is where is the proper mounting location for the fuel pressure sensor.

The photo shows my guess but if someone could confirm or clarify I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Close, but it really goes in the engine front tin a few inches below where you have it now.

Bit tough to see, but it's there on this one:

Слава Україні!
walarson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Close, but it really goes in the engine front tin a few inches below where you have it now.

Bit tough to see, but it's there on this one:

Yes, thanks. I looked further down and there are two holes in the tin. The assist is appreciated. Stay warm.

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
walarson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Greetings. I'm working on the vacuum lines for my 1976 FI beetle. I've found some pretty good documentation on this forum showing where the lines should go.

However, I'm stumped with the port I'm pointing to in the picture.

Where does the hose route to from this location?

Thanks in advance.

Andy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

The decel valve on the firewall beside the LH hinge: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708014

Слава Україні!
walarson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Correct location of air box Reply with quote

I may have to move this to the dumb questions but here goes.

I finally reinstalled the airbox on my 1976 FI beetle sedan after replacing hoses and gas lines.

Note pictures. It appears the box is hanging too far out the back- but there is only one place/way to install the box.

Does this look right?

Help.

Thanks in advance

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct location of air box Reply with quote

walarson wrote:
Does this look right?

Yes, those flat spots on the snorkle should almost touch the inside of the lid.

Слава Україні!
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

What's a recommended electronic ignition replacement for the points and condenser to work with the original distributor of the L-Jet on a 79 bug?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
What's a recommended electronic ignition replacement for the points and condenser to work with the original distributor of the L-Jet on a 79 bug?

None, the L-jet ECU is optimised for the waveform points produce, replacement modules often produce the wrong pattern and make them run funny, roll the dice, some work for a while, others suck immediately.

Слава Україні!
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
zoti wrote:

None, the L-jet ECU is optimised for the waveform points produce, replacement modules often produce the wrong pattern and make them run funny, roll the dice, some work for a while, others suck immediately.

Ok. Recommended points / condensor set? I hear complaints about the current Bosch ones.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
zoti wrote:

Ok. Recommended points / condensor set? I hear complaints about the current Bosch ones.

NAPA's house brands, Echlin or Blue streak.

Слава Україні!
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Anyone got a good vacuum test procedure on the 79 beetle L-Jet?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620083&highlight=smoke+tester

Слава Україні!
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Yes. I did a similar smoke test today. I found a small leak from the bottom of the EGR valve. I'm assuming the diaphragm could be broken.

I don't have an EGR filter and the hose leading to it is blocked anyways so I'm thinking of blocking the ERG valve on both sides.

I tried plugging the hole with my finger but it made no difference.

I also did a vacuum test and only had 7inHg however the engine is strong (did an easy 75mph last night) and it doesn't burn any oil.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Yes. I did a similar smoke test today. I found a small leak from the bottom of the EGR valve. I'm assuming the diaphragm could be broken.

I don't have an EGR filter and the hose leading to it is blocked anyways so I'm thinking of blocking the ERG valve on both sides.

I also did a vacuum test and only had 7inHg however the engine is strong (did an easy 75mph last night) and it doesn't burn any oil.

Done a recent tune up including valve adjustment?

Block the EGR by making a solid gasket (no hole) to go between the valve and plenum.

Слава Україні!
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
zoti wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Done a recent tune up including valve adjustment?

Block the EGR by making a solid gasket (no hole) to go between the valve and plenum.

A tuneup is next on the list.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 49 of 55

Jump to: