Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 231, 232, 233  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
That would be best, but it's easier to tack it on to fuel. More miles driven, more fuel used.

I don't know how commercial trucks are taxed but I suspect it's something like you suggest.

Not that I am aware of, just taxed on volume. Our roads are getting pounded to bits from heavy trucks. Not too long ago the bulk of heavy goods went on rail and rail maintenance was on the rail companies not the public purse.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Ok you haven't been paying attention.

Thanks for confirming . . .

Fair enough. You did mention it and you have my sincere apology. In my defense, that was about 78 pages ago. I stopped paying attention way before that!

steve244 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Quote:
$200 is enough to buy me well over 2000 miles worth of go-go juice. And that's including tax!

Your Tesla Tosser pays about $75 for that same mileage, plus another $40 in tax , that’s why she’s so smug.

Your calculations are, once again, stirling.

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic here.

Because, if you're paying $200 dollars for a special EV-only tax, then that $200 got you exactly zero miles. It doesn't matter how many different ways you try to spread it out (it's no different than paying income, property and sales tax; it may be spread out over the entire year, but basically everything you earn for 4 months goes straight to the government before you see a single penny, whether you realize that, or not).

And if you're crunching the actual numbers, then I'm really not sure where $75 + $40 tax came from (unless you're talking absolute best-case-scenario with all other hidden costs thrown out, which is SOP, I know).

When I crunch the numbers myself, I get $118 + $32 tax to go 2000 miles (and I'm being VERY generous with the 2000 miles; $200 at $3.00 per gallon and 40 mpg actually works out to over 2660 miles). That's assuming a working Tesla average of 3.4 miles/kWh, a national average of $0.16/kWh + customer charges + sales tax, and 14,000 average annual driven miles. That's also assuming all charging is done at home; the price per kWh at a public charging station seems to be roughly 2 to 3 times the national residential average, so $118 is still a bit best-case-scenario.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

I'm gonna repeat something I said 60 pages ago.

People will gladly spend a dollar to save a dime.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
steve244 wrote:
Ok you haven't been paying attention.

Thanks for confirming . . .

Fair enough. You did mention it and you have my sincere apology. In my defense, that was about 78 pages ago. I stopped paying attention way before that!

No worries.

But appeasement requires you read the entire topic. Or bring me a shrubbery.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

More Tesla fires.

If Tesla was a car seat for babies. The company wouldn’t exist anymore.

https://www.kron4.com/news/california/tesla-sponta...officials/

That’s why you always change your fuel lines when you buy a vintage VW Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

According to the Fire Dept. It takes between 500 to 700 gallons of water to extinguish an ICE vehicle fire, a Tesla fire takes about 6000 gallons to extinguish as it keeps reigniting. Saving the environment? ha?

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

That’s why you always change your fuel lines when you buy a vintage VW Wink

And why you should never have a fuel filter inline next to your dist. and coil.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Not reading any denial/defense from the ev aficionados in the "better for the environment"department..
Steve, we need you now more than ever Pray
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Definitely, car fires are good for the environment.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:

Oh, I've read the entire topic; a lot of it more than once. The problem is that it's hard to remember the stuff that doesn't make it through the built-in BS filter I have in my brain. I'll try to remember to turn that off in the future.

And I don't share shrubbery with anyone!

Xevin wrote:
More Tesla fires.

If Tesla was a car seat for babies. The company wouldn’t exist anymore.

You know that old saying, "Cheap. Fast. Reliable. Choose any two."?

I was watching a video about EV's and why some of them tend to spontaneously combust. As I understand it, battery designers have a similar code to the one ICE designers have (except that "cheap" is not currently an option). It goes: "More safety. More energy. Choose one."

Elon chose the latter.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

To be fair to Tesla. Kia/Hyundai and other ICE vehicles have a worse track record with fires. Tesla per mile have performed pretty well for not spontaneously combusting. I hope the frequency of EV fires remains much lower than ICE vehicles. Will fire departments need new rigs and resources to cope with EV fires in the future? That wouldn’t be good for environment.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
steve244 wrote:

Oh, I've read the entire topic; a lot of it more than once. The problem is that it's hard to remember the stuff that doesn't make it through the built-in BS filter I have in my brain. I'll try to remember to turn that off in the future.

Please leave it on if it's helping filter the other way.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
chrisflstf wrote:
They are all in on woke and equity, somehow Rolling Eyes

What does that have to do with transportation?

EV busing.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

In the last week, I've seen two Teslas on the back of a AAA tow truck. Obviously I can only guess at the reason. Neither of them were wrecked. Assume ran outta juice.

The funny thing was the first one was being loaded up at the gas station. Laughing
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Apparently the mods aren't monty python fans. they should be after this thread.
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Apparently the mods aren't monty python fans. they should be after this thread.

WTH?? Why were they deleted?
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Well, if abscate is around we can do a reenactment. that in itself would be very pythonesque.
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Well, if abscate is around we can do a reenactment. that in itself would be very pythonesque.

YES!!
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

or we could do Animal House.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 231, 232, 233  Next
Jump to:
Page 120 of 233

Jump to: