Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't get oil
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Was that at Milhous' old place?

No. But I did once have a detail shop in New Port Beach.
Derrick Milhous, Nixon's nephew worked for me.
His Mom and Dad had a picture on the piano of Tricky Dick holding young Derrick.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
I am in SoCal and have the same problem. FLAPS, even NAPA, have had a hard time getting the 30wt VR1 my engine builder told me to use. So I buy a couple of cases (6qt, not 12 or 24 like a "case" used to be, probably a "ban high capacity magazine" type idea Rolling Eyes). It's supposedly a "shipping to California" issue, or so they say. One blamed the COVID shipping issues and the port of LA overcrowding. Like you said, it's hard to get a straight answer, much less solve the problem.

Amazon lists it at $27 per quart. But it won't ship to SoCal.

It's about time for me to go on a quest for more oil in the next couple of months. I am not looking forward to it.

I add some cam additive to up the zinc, but just getting VR1 mono-grade is getting hard.

Didja ask the Napa parts counter guys? Yea I know I'm Or.
My local Napa carries 30wt, VR1. The last time I was buying it. It wasn't on the shelf. Asked the counter guy if they still stocked it, he brought out a 6qt. case from behind the counter. Wink

Yep the NAPA counter folks at the nearby store are good and told me they have a hard time getting it, getting harder all the time. Fortunately there are enough old VW/Porsche people who ask for it that they haven't failed me yet, though I've had to wait up to a month.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

Quote:
follows lubrication specs written 50 plus years ago

Had a buddy needing some Dexron ll. Told him to get some Dexron lll instead. 'Oh, no I'm getting what the manual calls for.' He spent hours searching LAPS till he found out Dexron ll has been replaced by Dexron lll. Rolling Eyes
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
follows lubrication specs written 50 plus years ago

Had a buddy needing some Dexron ll. Told him to get some Dexron lll instead. 'Oh, no I'm getting what the manual calls for.' He spent hours searching LAPS till he found out Dexron ll has been replaced by Dexron lll. Rolling Eyes

When I was a working airline mechanic it was a requirement to obtain the latest revisions to manuals, this means looking things up every day. If you were found to be using out of date info the FAA would tax you.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:

And.. Dexron VI supersedes those.

I can see Smokey and the Bandit runs for oil (and other chemicals) from, to and back again into California soon. Laughing

I didnt see anyone suggest Tractor Supply or Motorcycle shops for oil supply?

We make the joke in the shop regularly if we see "not available for sale in California" on chemicals.... "This is the the good stuff".

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
I can see Smokey and the Bandit runs for oil (and other chemicals) from, to and back again into California soon. Laughing

Forget the oil, I want Sally Fields if this ever happens! Wink
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

Frog
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Frog

The frog is 76 years old
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
calvinater wrote:
Frog

The frog is 76 years old

And still beautiful. In large part because she looks like she has never let a Dr touch her face with a scalpel.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

No just “good” genes.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

California is a thin state. Drive across to your neighboring state that doesn't have your laws and buy the oil you want.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
California is a thin state. Drive across to your neighboring state that doesn't have your laws and buy the oil you want.

Eh, not really. Most of us live near the coast because the inland is pretty harsh desert. At least of us in SoCal. 3 hours one way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: