Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Keep the updates coming, I am really enjoying this.

Don
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Ah, so you're the guy that scored that beauty!!

I looked it over quite closely in awe at C1 and must say that is a once in a lifetime score.

Very pleased to hear that you are preserving it above all else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mayall57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Getting closer. Wiring replaced, steering box rebuilt and windshield replaced. I need to find a back up ignition switch as it was discovered the current one was poorly repaired. Works for now though.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

I like a happy ending.

The crowd has breathed a collective sigh of relief.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

That license plate looks familiar. Could it have been on a black Super Beetle convertible, recently seen in Jasper and the Edmonton Vintage Volkswagen Show?
Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
Mayall57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Big Bull Shooter wrote:
That license plate looks familiar. Could it have been on a black Super Beetle convertible, recently seen in Jasper and the Edmonton Vintage Volkswagen Show?

Nope. That’s a new plate that I actually need to connect to a 57 Alberta plate that I have for the car.
Mayall57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Well it’s back on the open road….

Hecubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Finding this thread makes me very happy. Out of curiosity I did a search for Calgary in the oval section hoping to find out where it had ended up.

I picked this car up from the original owner in 2013 at that point the original owners son had brought it from Manitoba to Brag Creek thinking about getting it running again. It had been parked on blocks since 1970. At that point I gave it a full tune up and redid the brakes and got it running with very little effort. I ended up selling the car to a guy from Calgary on the May long weekend of 2021

It is awesome to see that you have been able to do the proper engine and transmission rebuild. And that you are keeping it as original as possible.

Here are some pictures of it in 1957, 1958 and 1959

Did you not get all the original paperwork when you purchased the car as well as the Volkswagen birth certificate?

If you would like some more details on the car as I found it I had thread about it here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577513 or feel free to ask and I will tell you what I know.
Mayall57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Hi Hecubus

Great to e-meet you.

The car is still in calgary and everything with the drive train, electrical, suspension, steering have been done by concept 1. It took over 7 months but it’s a trip to drive it as it was, all 34hp. It’s as it would have been back in the late 50s. The interior was left alone as well as the body.

the guy you sold it too didn’t pass on the paper work unfortunately.

I keep pressing back the urge to do anything else because it is a working time capsule now. I may put it up for sale in the spring to see if there is another care taker who wants to preserve this Canadian piece of history.

I found the obituary of the original owner which filled in some of the blanks. He landed in montreal after leaving the British airforce and in 1957 changed jobs and moved to Winnipeg. I believe he took up a job with a Canadian drywall producer. He passed in 2014.

I also reached out to the original dealership who is still in Montreal. They were the first vw dealer in Canada and was celebrating their 70th last year. The wrote up a little post about the car added it to their history.

Happy to learn anything else you can think of.

Sorry. I don’t check this site often enough but will check back sooner.

Thanks for the added info.
KaferKelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Now for sale locally.
Saw the ad and wondered about the story,

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1957-oval-window-beetle/1650232332
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Just looking back at previous post... and wonder if the serial number on the car is 158884, the engine shown being rebuilt with serial number 1445075 looks to not be original. Case number is more a June 56 case, where the body is July 57?
Hecubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

It is definitely not the original engine. The bill of sale has the original engine number listed.

I love that it still has a 36hp even if it is not the original one.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

That's a good looking car.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: