Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replaced Fuel System - Still drops RPMs and dies
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Fuel System - Still drops RPMs and dies (almost solved) Reply with quote

NewBlue wrote:
Thanks for the additional tips, and @michaelasnider for that pdf. Extremely valuable.

Unfortunate update...

I took her for a test drive today, and after being on the road for a couple minutes, it started sputtering... RPMS dropping again... the same as #1 and #2 in my original post. Finally, it died on the side of the road. I couldn't get it running enough to go further than a couple of yards, then it would sputter and die again (will post a video tomorrow of the symptoms). Had to get it towed home Sad

So after all the supposed fixes from my recent reply, I'm back to square one.

I'm at a total loss of where to start troubleshooting from again.

Does this still sound like a vacuum issue? Or a throttle body / TPS issue (the "click" doesn't happen when all the way open, and only happens when I force it closed with my finger). Or something completely different?

This thread is dragging on, my apologies. Turning into quite an ongoing headache. Thanks again all for the replies and recommendations.

You need to carry the tools and supplies with you as you test drive.
At the moment your sputtering happened was THE time to find the problem.

Then was THE time to check the fuel pump ground and 12v
Then was THE time to check fuel pressure and volume.
Then was THE time to check for injector pulse.
Then was THE time to verify spark
Etc.........

Intermittent problems can be extremely hard to find so you need to drive prepared to spend some time working on the highway.
Plan your route so that you aren't stuck on the tight shoulder of a multi-lane high speed road!
Plan to use lightly traveled surface roads and Country roads you know to be lightly traveled and relatively safe to work along.

Even if you don't get it running, at least you will KNOW what is malfunctioning.
You can then repair it at home but you won't be shooting completely in the dark.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3xvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Fuel System - Still drops RPMs and dies Reply with quote

Another quick thing to check when you have drivability issues is your idle switch. To do so, in the engine bay, move your throttle open slightly and listen did an audible click around the throttle body. This click tells the ecu when the engine is on/off idle, and can be adjusted to get it in spec should you not hear the click. Can cause all sorts of driveability issues when not working or calibrated.
NewBlue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced Fuel System - Still drops RPMs and dies Reply with quote

3xvanagon wrote:
Another quick thing to check when you have drivability issues is your idle switch. To do so, in the engine bay, move your throttle open slightly and listen did an audible click around the throttle body. This click tells the ecu when the engine is on/off idle, and can be adjusted to get it in spec should you not hear the click. Can cause all sorts of driveability issues when not working or calibrated.

Removed, tested both the clicks and with a voltage meter. No issues. I'll continue to troubleshoot, and start a different thread with new symptoms if necessary. Thanks again all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: