Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Covered license plate pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Covering or obscuring a license plate online is neither dumb or stupid. It causes no harm and is strictly a preference.

Calling folks, or the practice, dumb or stupid is, in itself, dumb or stupid.

Yes, people in the street see license plates, but most plates, and the cars they are attached to, are gone before anyone can memorize them, if that's their thing.

So contrarily, why would anyone leave a static picture of their car with the license plate showing, in a permanent, searchable freeze-frame for any and everybody to see, and possibly due some research on? Blocking out a plate makes the car anonymous. It takes me less than a minute to do it on the computer. Nothing stupid about it. And that's good by me.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

I could collect 1000+ licence plate numbers in less than an hour driving through any city with a cell phone in hand. Several hundred with a pencil and paper. There are licence plate numbers in full display EVERYWHERE! Try covering yours up, drive around and see how long it takes to get told it HAS to be displayed by law! Any information attached to it is also protected by law.

I still maintain that the only legitimate reason to cover a plate is that the plate and/or the car is stolen. So no, there is no harm done in covering your plate if everything is legal but there is absolutely no good done either apart from satisfying your own paranoia.

I issued a challenge a few months back for someone to come up with the location of my car and there has been no serious response to date proving to me that it takes a whole lot more effort and illegitimate connections to do than some here believe.

The whole thing in my view is just a "monkey see monkey do" thing driven by fear of the unknown. You can put any label you want on that!
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

The only place you can't see it, is when it's locked up in the garage.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Back when we had some actual privacy, this might have been a good idea.

That ship has sailed. Everything you say, do, type, is being tracked. This isn't foil hat paranoia, it's a fact in our capitalist society where laws cannot keep up with the technology.

TicToc, Pegasus... the war is lost, license plate battles don't matter anymore. (but the habit is hard to break!)
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

I issued a challenge a few months back for someone to come up with the location of my car and there has been no serious response to date proving to me that it takes a whole lot more effort and illegitimate connections to do than some here believe.

You say this like there are a lot of Canadian's here eh? Not that I see a reason to blur pics but...

In the US, where most of us are, yes I can get a name, address, VIN, previous owner, etc from a plate # in a handful of states. It's publicdata. I've proven that before here. I used to use it to attempt a warning before having someone's car towed. I'll run one of my own and post it up. Currently can get this for Colorado, Mississippi, West Virginia, Wisconsin, as well as Texas. Not a lot of effort, no illegit connections. took me more time to block out info and upload here.

I usually just really quick would run it as I'm walking between a couple bars to give the name and descrip to the door guy. I don't think it's really a reason to blur pics though.

That last screen sucks, you can click on it and see every other car registered to that address. Do not like that... but it is what it is.

Last edited by Erik G on Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

That ship has sailed.

agreed
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
That ship has sailed.

agreed

Agree,
I used to be paranoid. All my VWs are in my driveway or curb for the world to see. My neighbor who works from home sees people taking pictures of them all the time. One friend sent me a picture of my driveway someone posted on FB. Another friend had a coworker send him a picture of my driveway. I’m a fan of minimizing exposure but there’s no hiding 100% from it (maybe living off grid) Especially license plates that are meant to be seen. I appreciate people being careful with their info and fuzzing plates.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain anyone who wants to know where these are can find them.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:

Beautiful cars! You need to add a white one to your collection.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Green one…..
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Green one…..

My exact thought.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Why green? This is America; we are red, white and blue.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:

It’s a riddle.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
AirHead1966 wrote:

It’s a riddle.

Not for me, I just prefer a green KG over a white one. Never been a fan of white cars.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
AirHead1966 wrote:

It’s a riddle.

Primary colors of light?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
oprn wrote:

You say this like there are a lot of Canadian's here eh? Not that I see a reason to blur pics but...

In the US, where most of us are, yes I can get a name, address, VIN, previous owner, etc from a plate # in a handful of states. It's publicdata. I've proven that before here. I used to use it to attempt a warning before having someone's car towed. I'll run one of my own and post it up. Currently can get this for Colorado, Mississippi, West Virginia, Wisconsin, as well as Texas. Not a lot of effort, no illegit connections. took me more time to block out info and upload here.

I usually just really quick would run it as I'm walking between a couple bars to give the name and descrip to the door guy. I don't think it's really a reason to blur pics though.

That last screen sucks, you can click on it and see every other car registered to that address. Do not like that... but it is what it is.

All I can say in light of this is that your system's security absolutely SUCKS!! Now I fully understand the need for the need to conceal/carry in your part of the world! Your governments obviously have zero concern for the privacy of it's citizens!

As a private citizen here I cannot legally access anything based on a licence number. That privilege is only for police and others with positions of authority, bonded security companies and the like. I can take the VIN number of any car in and get a accident/bank lean/stolen/salvage status for the purpose of purchasing that vehicle but it will not show me the name or location of present or past ownership. NOT SO WITH THE LICENCE NUMBER!

You people need to seriously lobby your governments to tighten up their system security if what you are saying is indeed true. Covering your licence plate is a very feeble attempt at a Band-Aid solution that really does nothing to fix the big problem! The number of people that see your licence number on line is minuscule compared to how many see it all day every day on the street.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Erik G wrote:
oprn wrote:

All I can say in light of this is that your system's security absolutely SUCKS!! Now I fully understand the need for the need to conceal/carry in your part of the world! Your governments obviously have zero concern for the privacy of it's citizens!

As a private citizen here I cannot legally access anything based on a licence number. That privilege is only for police and others with positions of authority, bonded security companies and the like. I can take the VIN number of any car in and get a accident/bank lean/stolen/salvage status for the purpose of purchasing that vehicle but it will not show me the name or location of present or past ownership. NOT SO WITH THE LICENCE NUMBER!

You people need to seriously lobby your governments to tighten up their system security if what you are saying is indeed true. Covering your licence plate is a very feeble attempt at a Band-Aid solution that really does nothing to fix the big problem! The number of people that see your licence number on line is minuscule compared to how many see it all day every day on the street.

Because those folks never have bad intentions, ever.

This is an interesting topic. Back in the 80's I was able to run a plate with the police dispatcher to find the owner, as I wanted to buy the car. They put a stop to that sometime in the 90's, and for good reason.

With that said, even in states where it isn't legal to access that info, it likely isn't hard to do if you know how it all works. My bet is the same thing applies to Canada. Some criminal could get your address from your license plate. Just because nobody here has accepted your challenge doesn't mean it can't be done.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Someone finds out where you live!!!! OMFG!!!!! That would be just the end of the world! (I am being sarcastic).

Like every home sale is not recorded with people's names and addresses and made available to anyone who wants it. Or someone can't just Google someone's name and get their information.

If someone wants to steal your car, he will follow you home and get it. Better quit driving it, lock it up - board up the garage doors. They are coming to take it away !!!!!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

There are lots of easier way to find where a person lives than a licence plate number. In small communities like we live, just drop a name or describe my car and you have a 50% chance of finding me on any given day. But be aware that if you are a stranger in town everyone that sees you will have a mental note of it!

Big cities are somewhat different but it's doable in many ways. We cannot live in constant fear! That's insane! (See what I did there?) Very Happy
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Playing stooooooopid here: do regulations actually state for the license plate to be mounted with the numbers/letters facing outward?

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: