Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Lots of good engine learning on my other thread trying to figure out where my sludge came from.

Here are some random images.

My rods
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Typical Rod end

Typical wrist pin end

Damaged casting mark on one rod. mushroomed over.

Checking lifter bore with .7488" del-tronic pin

Typical lifter

Lifter Bore

Cam lob & bearing

Now for some new stuff. Picked up a head valve removal tool locally for $20. Lets try it out and clean up my heads. That was fun...

A tool was loaned to me to learn how to use. This is also going to be fun.

Engine is the focus. Getting ready to buy my way out of this problem...

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Time to get oil galley plugs out again. I did a really good job with these. They did not come out easy. Two of them needed horsepower. My mill was big enough for one. Not the other.

Don't worry. Light cuts so plenty stable and perpendicularity is not critical.

This one need to be set up on an angle plate. That is for tonight.

- Crank is off to be ground.
- Case goes to get cleaned Monday.
- Rods i am still unsure about. Will do some inspection today on them. What i do know is the rod bolts do not naturally align the side walls of the crank end which is probably not good and probably part of my problem...

The rest is easy stuff to get.

A few discoveries.
1. Found a picture showing i had the rods in the right way which is good. (Cast mark up)
2. I did not install the shims below the distributor. Unlikely the cause of issues but...
3. A stuck oil pressure piston sucks to remove.
4. Figured out how to get the oil pick-up screw out of the case and found some crap under it. Hmmm.... Now how to get the pick-up to not rotate.
5. Curil K2 is NLA. Bummer. I really liked that stuff. Guess it was replaced with Curil T2 so we will try that.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
What i do know is the rod bolts do not naturally align the side walls of the crank end which is probably not good and probably part of my problem...

? I would like to understand.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
matthew henricks wrote:
What i do know is the rod bolts do not naturally align the side walls of the crank end which is probably not good and probably part of my problem...

? I would like to understand.

In the below image the upper bolt is loose and the sides of the rod are offset. This is normal with the bolts loose.

Now pretend i tighten these bolt up so the cap is secure. That offset can still be there. The shoulder of the rod bolts do not naturally align things.

I do not know if this is normal but is suspect it is not.

This is just an observation right now. I can align them but i did not pay attention to that on the first build.

Hope that made sense.

Parts i am looking for:
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Matthew-
It's normal for 40HP rods- the caps need to be aligned when installed. One method I've used is to get them hand tight then use a feeler gauge between the rod/cap and one crank cheek to push the assembly up against the other cheek to hold it in alignment while you torque the bolts to spec. It's easy enough to eyeball the seam to make sure they're aligned, as a backup.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

To get the caps aligned I always take a little hammer after tightening the bolts. Before, the rod would not slide through its own weight, but after it does. Understood this to be the common practice, it's written down in the manual.
But anyway, even if you didn't pay attention, I doubt this is the source of the knocking.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Thank you Gents. Another piece of evidence that my rods may be fine but for sure i DID NOT align them when i built the motor the first time.

I still am not totally sure where the knock came. The thread i have on the Engine section is concluding the same. Not clear the source which is never comforting.

If this was for my company and i wanted to be a good systematic Engineer i would change one thing at a time, build the engine till i figured it out. Ya... No.....
I am going to shot-gun approach. Change everything out and try again. For sure i will NOT know what the source was but man i hope it just goes away....

Keep the comments coming. Maybe i do a step by step post of the build to allow you all to tell me where i go wrong. Won't do that but will be super careful and slow about it. Smile

Parts i am looking for:
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

If you didn't align the rod caps then your plastigage measurements may have been erroneous.

Personally, I prefer to assemble, align, and torque up each rod separate from the crank and measure the ID for each. Comparing these measurements against those I take directly of the rod journals, I can then calculate the clearances and tailor the install location if there are variations that need addressed.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
If you didn't align the rod caps then your plastigage measurements may have been erroneous.

Personally, I prefer to assemble, align, and torque up each rod separate from the crank and measure the ID for each. Comparing these measurements against those I take directly of the rod journals, I can then calculate the clearances and tailor the install location if there are variations that need addressed.

That does make sense. Thank you. Earlier i mentioned one rod sort of being tight at assembly. A mis-alignment here would for sure cause that. Wonder if that would also cause the knock to not be there and then appear?

Hmmm... Good stuff to think about. Probably never prove anything but...

I will be measuring this time each dimension as you suggest. Borrowing a set of telescoping bore gauges and 2" micrometer.

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Second galley plug removed. Just needed a bigger mill.

Tried to measure my rods with the tools i had but no-joy. Not confidant in the measurements and think the set-up is affecting the measurements. Getting .005"-.007" parallel mismatch of which i do not believe.

I also tried a set-up picking up the bore but i either need a CMM or make some slugs to clamp around.

So some advise. Will a CB style In/out full flow filter set-up work for a 40HP case without modification? My case has 8mm studs already. I do not plan to run it full time but use it when breaking in the engine to catch any last crap still hanging around.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/CB-26mm-Maxi-2-Filter-Oil-Pumps-1791-1792-p/1791-1792.htm

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Spending $$ weekend trying to get back on track with Engines.

I pulled out my spare engine set of parts and decided i would build up the short block. Case is fine with no saddle wear. I have the parts but have been lazy to build it. It is my spare because it has a sand seal and can't run a stock pulley. It was the engine in the bug and ran just fine but will be the spare now.

Went to work on it and the bearings did not fit. .020"/.030"/std. Way too big for the case but i know this case was cut. (Sand seal, cam bearings & mains.) What the heck....

After going crazy thinking i could not measure things i figured out the case was cut at .010" oversize instead of the standard -020" by Rimco in the 90's. Of course those bearings are NLA. Hmmm... Exploring my options because it does not need to be re-cut due to wear.

- Find a set of .010/.030/Std bearings. Bug City has some with oversize thrust.
- Re-cut the case for .020" and move on.
- Re-use the old bearings. They are not that bad.

Beyond that i tried in vein to finish the horn bypass circuit and anything else i could but got no-where.

I did finish these though....

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Some time this weekend and a more engine spending. Engine case is getting cleaned, crank getting ground and parts inbound.

I think i may have found the right bearings as well. Once i confirm things i will post the info.

Had a visit by a buddy today and he gave me some pointers on my back-up case bearings. If my bearing source does not pan out then we will cut the thrust for what i did find. More info later

In the meantime i did some geeking out on the porta-tool. The bits are pre-set to .020" but i believe in "trust but verify". I set out with the tools i had to check the settings. It checked out.

- First to measure all the cutters to see if they are the same. I used a 3/4" socket for the centering bore and set up a depth mic on my mill. All were within a few tenths.

- Leaving the depth mic set to the cutter depth now measure that same 3/4" socket (far side) to the face of the depth mic rod using the mill Y-axis read-out & a measuring indicator.

- Take that measurement and subtract the bore radii and you get your cutter diameter.

- Checked out.

Did some work under the gas tank. Trying to find a way to install a horn relay under the tank without cutting the wire harness.

Had a system figured out. Went to test it and i had no voltage. Dang. Battery died.

Check it with a meter and it was at 6.1V. What the heck..... Dooh. Not engine installed means no voltage getting from the battery to the fuse box without some rigging.... I had walked away before that dawned on me so another day... Smile

Following this thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

While down there i notice more bad things with my AC Industries disc brakes. I knew the brake hoses rubbed on the tie rods. I added protection with spiral wrap. Now i see they hot the body too. Something has to be wrong here...

Oil cooler. I really do not want to re-use mine after the bearing damage issues. I have cleaned it and got nothing bad out of it but...

Found a "NOS" Brazilian one from the 80's in Egypt of all places. Shipped to me was just a little more than a Chinese aluminum one so why not.

Lets compare.

Left is OG. Middle is NOS Brazil and right is Aluminum Chinese.
- Weight. OG & Brazilian the same. Chinese alot lighter.
- No mesh on OG one.
- OG has build quality. Brazilian not so much.
- All are different heights. Why is the Chinese soooo much taller?
- All have crappy black paint.
- All have similar mounting but the braket are all a little different.
- Oil ports seem the same. Brazilian had two aluminum trim rubber boots to seal the holes when painted. Each hole had TWO plugs stacked and then lots of paint. Strange.

Hopefully next weekend i have engine cases and bearings...

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Almost have all the parts for the engine. Both engines that is. Going to build the spare at the same time.

Had my case hot tanked. Not quire sure what i paid for. Very disapointing.

Before.

After

So i spend Saturday again cleaning. Every oil galley with every tool and chemical i have. It is clean but we have been here before.

Crank and other parts.

Decided to clean my 59 year old oil cooler. Man the amount of crap that came out.

This is 1/4 of it. This image does not do justice as the pile is 1/2" tall.

Close up. Just oil crap from all the years.

Anyone have one of these available before a make a few? 40HP round oil filler baffle. These were dealer or mechanic installed.

All for now.

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Slowly making my way towards an engine.

No pictures but the engine case is clean. All ports and all little places dirt can hide have been cleaned. Still going to start it up with a full flow filter installed just in case because i have been here before.

While i waited for parts to arrive on my primary engine i worked on my back-up engine. It engine has been ignored for a few years so why not build both at the same time. It is a stock 40HP with a sand seal. It is the engine that came out of the car and ran fine. 62 dated case. 77mm pistons.

New rings

Cleaned the pistons in carb cleaner and all put together. Weight is within 1g on all.

cleaned and painted cylinders.

Honed.

Cleaning up the oil pump plate.

A pile of parts ready to go.

Rods installed and drop tested ok.

Case going together. Test fitting

And there i a stalled.

Some fun at Home Depot. If you know, you know.

Parts i am looking for:
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

How did those bearings work out for you?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Rods installed and drop tested ok.

Hopefully you reinstalled the rods so the bumps are all facing up when the short block is together... two are upside down in your picture. Wink
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

The two nearest the gears.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
The two nearest the gears.

Or the two nearest the flywheel. Doesn't matter which pair gets flipped over, but it's no good as is.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Really? I always thought all forging marks should point up when the #1 throw points toward TDC. (i.e. is nearest TDC.)

Edit: wait, you lost me....doesn't matter where #1 throw points, so what am I missing? How can he flip 1 and 3 and be okay? That puts bumps down.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

The rod journals numbered from flywheel end to pulley end are #3, 1, 4, then 2. When properly assembled with all the bumps facing up you should have one adjacent pair of rods at BDC and the other adjacent pair at TDC. It doesn't matter if the odd numbered pair or the even numbered pair are at TDC or BDC so long as the other numbered pair is the opposite, but you cannot have all four rods simultaneously at the TDC position with bumps up or at BDC with bumps up.

To help visualise things a bit, take a look at the animated gifs HERE.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 29

Jump to: