Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

After 50 years there's some light in the tunnel.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: After 50 years there's some light in the tunnel. Reply with quote

If an original part lasted 50 years, why try to improve on it? Most fail because of crappy parts, lack of attention to deburring, and lack of lubrication. I don't see the need for a fancier solution.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: After 50 years there's some light in the tunnel. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
If an original part lasted 50 years, why try to improve on it? Most fail because of crappy parts, lack of attention to deburring, and lack of lubrication. I don't see the need for a fancier solution.

Because NOS original parts are not readily available, the aftermarket stuff is crap and too soft and there's a quality upgrade that works better than the original.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: After 50 years there's some light in the tunnel. Reply with quote

I'm sure the hook it just mild steel plate so I dont think the welding will affect it negatively, but I could be wrong. Ive got 150 k miles on it so its still looking good for that.

Cant buy a replacement as the RHD assembly is a bit more involved and I've not seen the "bolt/nut" type upgrade for RHDs clutch cable attachment. All the orignal bushes in mine are still great.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1971 Stock South African Beetle 1300 : My mom's european "Thin Chick" spec. Completely stock with torsion bar front, swingaxle rear, smooth hubs, single MC, 40 mm shoes, 31PICT3 carb and 5 bolt drums all round, currently Running a 1976 SF:AS engine with the original SF:AD engine overhauled in a box, waiting to go back in one day.
BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: After 50 years there's some light in the tunnel. Reply with quote

A quick question to you knowledgeable folks, has anyone a good idea about cleaning the dust out of the tunnel?

Old damp Tshirt on the end of a stick?

I don't want to spray the cavity spray onto the dust if I can help it, I can get my fat arm into the coupling hole and wipes that area with damp cloth but don't know how to attack the tunnel to the front of that.

Cheers

BMF
1971 Stock South African Beetle 1300 : My mom's european "Thin Chick" spec. Completely stock with torsion bar front, swingaxle rear, smooth hubs, single MC, 40 mm shoes, 31PICT3 carb and 5 bolt drums all round, currently Running a 1976 SF:AS engine with the original SF:AD engine overhauled in a box, waiting to go back in one day.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: After 50 years there's some light in the tunnel. Reply with quote

Just wash it out with some soapy water then a hose then use a heat gun or hairdryer to dry it before hitting it with cavity wax.
BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: After 50 years there's some light in the tunnel. Reply with quote

Hi Folks, got a little time to have a closer look in the tunnel. Found some corrosion in the front. I believe due to a leaking master cylinder 25 years ago.

I do plan to wash it out before I treat it internally. One question is what this trough shaped thing is circled in red. If I spray water in the tunnel will it run though that trough elsewhere into the car?

This is the trough seen from the pedal hole.

And this is the trough seen from the front

This is what the corrosion looks like up front in a closer shot. I'm going to try to get my arm in there with a steel brush before I wash it out.

Thanks a million for any advice folks.

Last edited by BMFBMF on Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: After 50 years there's some light in the tunnel. Reply with quote

whoops here's the inside picture form the forum , which better shows what I am talking about.

This is the trough but I cant figure out where it goes , is it just sealed with that low point to collect water or does it drain somewhere?

I wonder if a drain plug at that point would be a good thing?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: