Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

My 76 panel had a cove plate to prevent stuff going into the recirc fan hole. I've seen this on purpose built westys as well. Drilling a hole in the floor and putting a rubber grommet in leads toward a dealer or more pro install. Installed after the fact. Its not uncommon to then do a tran swap either.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

The original cover plate is next to the rubber grommet in my pic. I cut the hole and installed the grommet in prep to run the wiring harness for my Subaru swap.

The original cover plate for the BA6 fan is just diagonally below to the left of the grommet in the pic. Looks pretty much the same as the one in your pic and is the same sage green with the same spot welds as everything else.

Here's a better pic

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

I see it, yes, factory BA-6 bus.

As for the M plate discrepancy?, if the stamped VIN matches and doesn't look F'd with in the back there's always a small chance whoever made the M plate screwed up, it's really rare, but has happened.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

Oh shit. Totally missed it. Laughing Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I see it, yes, factory BA-6 bus.

As for the M plate discrepancy?, if the stamped VIN matches and doesn't look F'd with in the back there's always a small chance whoever made the M plate screwed up, it's really rare, but has happened.

Thanks busdaddy. The front and back VIN numbers match. I know that the engine was not original as it had a 1700cc in it (CB engine #) when I bought it but the auto transaxle doesn't look like it was added later. It looks like it was an automatic from the factory too but the M plate states that it should be a manual transaxle.

Has anyone come across a discrepancy like this before with their M plate?

No worries Jason, the grommet in the pic draws all the attention and the cover plate blends in with the bulkhead.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

sweet bus

if you do end up futzin with the throttle a bit more, i would also cosign on the butty's bits testimonials. his whole heim joint throttle linkage assembly really upgrades a bus.

if you end up doing those rubber donuts i would recommend these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193628097552

i recently bought those Mexican donuts, the Wolfsburg West made ones and the OE VW Brazil (also sold by JP Dansk) units to compare them all... and the Mexican ones in the somewhat suspect VW logo'd bag seemed to be the best :) they seem to be the highest durometer, look nice and come with a bit of talc on them (which i would say is an indicator of a production process that gives a flying F). the brasil ones look rough but are OE, the WW ones look nice but are really soft.

also not a bad time to swap in the uprated "green" rear torsion bars that are sold all over ... anyone know if that bus would have come with red stock? i know my 78 Kombi (Riviera) did

it looks like you are running a subaru evap + heater core combo unit (?) in the rear ... ? any idea what the dimensions of the actual heater core heat exchanger unit itself are ? how do you like output with just the 1 heater ?
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
sweet bus

if you do end up futzin with the throttle a bit more, i would also cosign on the butty's bits testimonials. his whole heim joint throttle linkage assembly really upgrades a bus.

if you end up doing those rubber donuts i would recommend these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193628097552

i recently bought those Mexican donuts, the Wolfsburg West made ones and the OE VW Brazil (also sold by JP Dansk) units to compare them all... and the Mexican ones in the somewhat suspect VW logo'd bag seemed to be the best Smile they seem to be the highest durometer, look nice and come with a bit of talc on them (which i would say is an indicator of a production process that gives a flying F). the brasil ones look rough but are OE, the WW ones look nice but are really soft.

also not a bad time to swap in the uprated "green" rear torsion bars that are sold all over ... anyone know if that bus would have come with red stock? i know my 78 Kombi (Riviera) did

it looks like you are running a subaru evap + heater core combo unit (?) in the rear ... ? any idea what the dimensions of the actual heater core heat exchanger unit itself are ? how do you like output with just the 1 heater ?

Thanks for your comments on my various questions over the last couple pages Metalhacker. I will most likely upgrade to the Butty's Bits throttle linkage as my mod is still not as it should be. As it is an automatic, I don't notice it as much as if it were a manual transaxle with much more throttle usage changing gears.

Thanks for the link and comparison of the different rubber torsion donuts. I'll order a set of the Mexis then and give them a go. I did the full pull, clean, paint, grease the torsion bars, and adjusted the splines back in 2018 and am happy with the rear performance other than the camber issues but will need to replace the front leaves or get a rebuilt front beam as my driver's side sits 3/8" lower than the passenger side which is not a big deal (I'm not a fat bastard either) but my wife is petite so when we are both sitting in the front seats, it's more like 5/8" lower. It was off when empty (no cabinets, etc) so it isn't just the extra weight on the DS. The rear rides a bit high when just the 2 of us go for a drive but levels out with the trailer on with all of our toys and gear loaded in.

Regarding the Subaru heater A/C unit, it works great down to about 15F but as most of the heated air is piped up front through an insulated 3" duct underneath, the rear gets cool/cold and the front cab area is okay but you feel the drafts at highway speeds. It is very comfy at non Hwy speeds. The defrost works great regardless. We drove to Revelstoke last winter in about 20F to 30F (wore a long sleeved shirt) and it was fine but on the way back it dropped to 5F and we needed to wear our jackets and gloves but were were doing 60-70mph in a 30mph headwind.
Part of the issue is that I need to replace my front door rubber seals. I bought the soft ones that came back in stock from Cali about 6 months ago but haven't taken the time to remove the old ones and replace with the new ones yet.

Edit Note: If I were to do it again I would make up a direct vent from the heater - A/C housing under the rear bench seat to a 4" insulated duct up to the front and connect it to the existing reducer that runs to the floor area between the front seats and runs up to the front tee for defrost/heating the front. This probably would pump an extra 20% air/heat up front as the 3" duct was a bit restrictive for the fan unit. With new door seals, it would have kept the interior warm even down to the 5F trip. However, the A/C effectiveness with just the 1 unit would have been underwhelming I think due to the bus being at least twice the size/interior space of a Subaru wagon.

I think that I'll have the same issue regarding the A/C so I decided to install a trimmed down 2nd heater A/C unit up front between the seats. I tapped the coolant lines just before and just after the rad and installed a variable speed pump but have found that the pump is not needed as once the thermostat opens up and there is flow to the rad, some of the coolant flows through the heater core. I removed the 3" insulated duct from the rear and just piped the air flow from the rear heater directly to the rear cabin area with a simple vent under the rear bench seat and piped the front air to the original heater Tee using a 4" round duct. Now we have serious heat even without changing the door seals. I've had to turn one off as even with them both on low, it gets too warm in the Bus. With 2 A/C units, the Bus should be nicely cool in the summer. I'll add pics once I get things finished off.

Regarding the dimensions, what would you like to know? The overall dimensions of the rear, underseat unit hooked up or just the heater and A/C cores?
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

Noticed some extra vibrations lately so I took the weekend to do a full crawl under and checked all the engine and transmission mounts, linkages, cables, fluids, axle bolts, etc, and noticed my muffler was tapping my hitch a bit so took it off, shortened the pipe and retightened everything. Didn't find anything important loose and with the pipe adjustment, the vibration issue is gone.

Had beautiful sunny weather on Sunday so went for a long drive in the afternoon and took these pics on the way to Pitt Lake. The temp was just above freezing but with the additional heater, it was warm.

Heading off to Manning Park for a weekend of camping in the snow, then back to Golden Ears camping for the Family Day long weekend Feb 18-20th.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

Finally getting around to finish off some of the interior detailing that I've wanted to do for a while. Closing off some gaps in the dash and covering some of the exposed bits from the recent heater/A/C install and will be doing some custom wood work and stain plus upgrading to a new wood inset steering wheel. Also adding a drawer under the back seat and building a custom headbanger and moving the rear speakers up top at the back. Found these seat covers that are not too far off the rear bench seat material.

Awning

Forgot to add this in Spring of 2022 with a few other mods at the time and now it's locked so:

Stopped by a local JDM import shop and asked if they had an awning off one of their Toyota or Mitsubishi campers imported from Japan and they did. Picked up a used but good condition YKK awning and it fits well.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:20 am; edited 3 times in total
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

Installed the new steering wheel (Christmas present) and made up a custom wood frame to close in the speedometer. Still a little too light so I'll do a few more coats to darken it more to better match the steering wheel.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

Finished the staining and install. Happy with the look.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

Spring finally arrived!

Out for a drive

Link

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

Just read the thread, love your work, cool bus - and some real nice trips, by the look of it...

Cheers,

Simon
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

Jalabert wrote:
Just read the thread, love your work, cool bus - and some real nice trips, by the look of it...

Cheers,

Simon

Thanks Simon. It's fun to drive and we've been taking it out on evening drives almost daily as the days get longer and the weather improves here.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Been doing some mods to the rear heater as well as added a 2nd unit up front over the last few weeks. While I had the rad down, I made up a simple scoop/duct to create some air flow cooling and mounted the rad more forward and higher to fit the scoop. Still some things to do but the cooling fans have not come on during any of the test drives so far but outside temps have been around freezing.

Tons of heat now with the 2 heaters and expecting that the A/C will work well with 2 evaporator units in the summer. Just the one unit was not enough as the inside sqft of a bus is about double that of a Subaru Wagon so 2 heater - A/C units should work well.

My scoop/duct worked fine for regular driving but didn't work well on the Hwy at Hwy speeds in 25C + temps so reverting back to the angled rad with the coarse screen over it. Not enough air flow I guess.

Update: I checked more closely and found that 1 of the rad cooling fans is not working, hence the issue. Checking to figure out why..

Result: Aux fan ground connector broke. Upgraded the connector and put it back together.

Went for a long test drive on the Hwy and all good, cycling on at 95C and off at 85C.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Wed May 24, 2023 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

Headed to Spanish Banks for most of the day on Sat then stopped by Maryhill Bypass along the Fraser River for a walk at sunset, then had Sushi dinner to celebrate my oldest son's 25th birthday.

Getting gas when a Rolls Royce Club meet up pulled in. It seemed strange having the youngest vehicle (except the bike) in the parking lot/gas station!

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

Camping Trip

The weather switch was tripped and we went from March rain and coolness at the beginning of May to full on summer heat at the end of last week. Packed up the Bus and headed North to Birkenhead Lake, North of Pemberton, BC about a 250 mile round trip.

Got out of Vancouver and past the Ferry traffic at Horseshoe Bay by 3pm and cruised up the Sea To Sky Hwy (99) at a leisurely pace taking in the views of the Sound and snow capped mountains. The last time I drove this hwy (end of April) it was snowing heavily.

First stop was Squamish.

Past Squamish, 99 meanders up to Whistler and then on past Green Lake, Nairn Falls, and into Pemberton with beautiful Mount Currie in the background.

A left/straight at the town of Mount Currie and then about an hour drive on a mix of small paved road that leads to Darcy and the last 15 miles of hard packed dirt and gravel road into Birkenhead Lake Park.

Birkenhead Lake is surrounded by snow capped mountains and we had calm warm 85-90F temps but the lake is snow melt cold.

SUPed both days on a pretty quiet lake as there were no large boats or jet skies droning out mother nature.

Got there around 7pm so went for a walk and made Ramen for dinner and picked up a pack of Yuzu Rice Lager (before the trip) for something different.

Had steak, rice, and asparagus Sat night

and star gazed until about midnight. With no towns around and just a Crescent moon the depth of stars visible was incredible. Must have seen about 50 satellites cruise overhead in the span of about 2 hours. The deep blue colour of the sky made a nice contrast to the fire.

The Big Dipper coming into view as it got darker but still light enough to take a decent pic.

Got up at a decent time Sun morning and did the second hike of the trip and then spent a few hours floating around on the SUPs before heading out around 1pm. Saw a young Black Bear cruising around on the gravel road at the entrance to the park. Both grizzly's and black bears are in the area.

Bear pic on my tires - fitting for the location but probably a Polar Bear image.

Stopped at the "Pony" restaurant in Pemberton on the way back.

Pulled pork & yam fries + ordered their sampler set of various beers from around the region (8oz samplers) and liked the Victoria Lager the best but as it was 93F, they all tasted damn good after a hot dusty drive!

Great trip and the Bus ran beautifully.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

Been chasing a gas fume smell for a while now that I just couldn't figure it out as I replaced all the vent hoses, replaced the tank sensor o-ring, and installed a new filler hose when the engine was out but still had the smell from time to time. It only seemed to happen when I made hard or extended left turns with a half tank or more.

Took a few hours on Sunday to do the replace the filler hose clamp "yoga" laying above the engine compartment and reaching in through the access tin cover. What a nightmare!

Bought a couple stainless marine bolt clamps and managed to position and tighten them properly and noticed a small tear in the rubber elbow just under the filler area at the gas cap. I had ordered one about a year ago thinking I should change it out at some point and finally did.

Happy to say that I no longer have the fuel smell even after hard left turns and I can feel comfortable filling my gas tank again.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

Out in the Bus all weekend (~200miles)- Sunset at Crescent Beach Friday night, mini swap meet in Surrey Sat morning, drove out to Harrison Hot Springs for the rest of the day and spent Sunday out in Golden Ears.

Crescent Beach

Mini Swap Meet in Surrey

Harrison Lake

East side of Alouette Lake, GoldenEars

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:55 pm; edited 4 times in total
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving my 76 Canadian Market Automatic Westy - Since Aug 2020 Reply with quote

Looks like a good time!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: