Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best winter storage ever
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdirt09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

Our local vw dealership put our 411 in their showroom for the winter. Clean heated climate control for the winter and best part is free.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

Nice car! Why don't they sell those again instead of some of their other foolishness?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

Awesomeness! Looks showroom new, after all!

Search here and find an old window sticker you can photoshop and put it on the glass... with a big "JUST KIDDING!" at the bottom!
CAVEHEAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

Incredible beauty, you should have it appraised ... 20K would be my guess on the block at Mecum's
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

Just a wonderful wagon! Those wheels really do the car justice.

I was able to get insurance coverage for my 412 “Goldie” for agreed value at $38,000 thru Leland West. The nice ones are starting to get good numbers with really few nice comparables.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdirt09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

This one is actually going to be coming up for sale. Asking 20 US. Or around 25 Canadian.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

bigdirt09 wrote:
Our local vw dealership put our 411 in their showroom for the winter. Clean heated climate control for the winter and best part is free.

I think I have seen that bumper treatment on another 412. It looks really nice! What process was used to obtain that finish?

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

Stunningly beautiful restoration. Is that a stock color? Empi’s? I think, Bill, those are the later ‘74 alum’s. Just beautiful. And being Canadian it possibly has a manual transmission?
Chris
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

Also looks to be tastefully lowered. And no roof rack to mess up the ero. Hee hee..
Chris
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

Chris Walden wrote:
Stunningly beautiful restoration. Is that a stock color? Empi’s? I think, Bill, those are the later ‘74 alum’s. Just beautiful. And being Canadian it possibly has a manual transmission?
Chris

Yep, sure looks like the later aluminum bumpers. But, when you look at the stock alums, there is a definite brushed pattern in them I thought. There seems to be a coating on these and almost a color tint. Maybe the owner can chime in.
Bill
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

Maybe just reflecting the color. The headlight covers available in other markets would be a smashing addition.
Chris
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

The bumpers look like maybe powder coated in a chrome simulated finish. The early 411 aero headlights aren't just covers of some sort, but completely different units. They probably would fit later cars I'm thinking, but you'd have to figure out the wiring.
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

That is one nice car and a wonderful winter storage solution.

Walter
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

Please, please, please, see if you talk them into roping it off in the Showroom.!!!! Pray Pray

You would not believe the wear and tear people can put on Showroom cars as they just sit there. It only takes one person with something sharp on their pants like rivets, 'designer appliques' , to splice a seat open. Small Children are a problem too, you get a Salesperson distracted talking to the Parents, and the kids climb all over an interior with no regard for the damage they are doing before Staff can get them out of the Vehicle. Although not a likely problem in your case, I've actually seen a Mother allow her two small kids to draw on the rear door trim panels of a Loaner Car she was given ,with markers. You know, they were bored...... Shocked Shocked Shocked d'oh! d'oh!

The worst are Major Car shows, parts get worn out with all the traffic coming in and out of the vehicle. In those shows, people are also prone to stealing parts off the car as a 'Souvenir' , it's kind of appalling really. When I worked at the Chicago BMW dealer in the '90s, we were tasked with repairing any damage done to Chicago Autoshow Display BMWs so they could be sent to the next Car Show since we were the 'City' dealer closest to the Convention Center] Location Location Location.... Wink ]

Your VW looks terrific by the way, but keep people OFF and OUT of it to keep it that way. Cool Cool Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

They should pay you to put it in their showroom.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

I do have to say.....those wheels...are actually perfect for the 411. Not the 412. The rounded spokes are PERFECT for the rounded curves of the front of the 411.

I have not yet found a wheel that looks right for teh angular 412....that are available in 4 x 130 bolt pattern and the correct back spacing.

I think Bill K. was one of the first 411 cars I have seen with those particular wheels and they look great.

Ray
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
I do have to say.....those wheels...are actually perfect for the 411. Not the 412. The rounded spokes are PERFECT for the rounded curves of the front of the 411.

I have not yet found a wheel that looks right for teh angular 412....that are available in 4 x 130 bolt pattern and the correct back spacing.

I think Bill K. was one of the first 411 cars I have seen with those particular wheels and they look great.

Ray

There exists now an aftermarket Porsche Cookie Cutter style in 4x130, 15x7, ET 40. About as angular as you get! Very 1970s brutalist. I think these repros might be kind of heavy, though, IIRC. There's also some 17x7 versions on 4x130.

https://www.hpdwheels.com/collections/klassik-rade...chined-lip
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

ubercrap wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

There exists now an aftermarket Porsche Cookie Cutter style in 4x130, 15x7, ET 40. About as angular as you get! Very 1970s brutalist. I think these repros might be kind of heavy, though, IIRC. There's also some 17x7 versions on 4x130.

https://www.hpdwheels.com/collections/klassik-rade...chined-lip

Those are close to what I have been thinking.

Also.....the Riviera wheels....have spokes that kind of fit the 412 style but they have a butt-ugly center hub. I have almost been thinking that a custom cast/or fabled, stockish hub cap to cover the center of the Riviera could work on a 412.

What also looks good.....but they are mainly just clones of existing designs ....but have very subtle and sharp production details....are the Mobilwagen wheels.....like this:

https://mobelwagen.com/collections/aluminum

Ray
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

Personal opinion, but I think the minilite style would go well on the 412 as well. Not to mention period correct.
Chris
bigdirt09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Best winter storage ever Reply with quote

I think the bumper s are just stock and painted silver along with the headlight trim. It came like this when we purchased it about 10 years ago.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: