Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad 009? Fuel issue? Stalls at stops
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Bad 009? Fuel issue? Stalls at stops Reply with quote

I have been chasing down stalls at idle RPMs after the engine has warmed up some when I try to come to a stop or otherwise let off the gas and the engine slows down to idle RPMs (ie, slowing turn for a turn and downshifting from 3-2, it stalls when I press in the clutch for shifting). I have done replaced the carb once and bought a $100 rebuilt mechanical fuel pump to replace the electric one someone put because it seemed to be flooding/running rich.

If I set the timing on a cool engine to ~7.5* BDTC it seems fine, but once warmed up, it doesn't like it. It then needs the timing advanced a good ways or it doesn't want to idle very well.

I have two timing lights: a 1970s one and a new HFT one with the dial. The old one and the HFT one set to zero both show it way advanced at idle when it seems to be idling it's best.

Using the HFT one with the the dial to 28*, it lights up right at about the 7.5-9* marks on the pulley (40HP pulley with only 2 marks) meaning it seems to want to be advanced 28* beyond normal.

If I try to retard the timing to normal (7.5* at idle) the exhaust pops unhappily and the RPMs drop and it wants to stall.

Bad distributor?

Last edited by Cubey on Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad 009? Needs an extra 28* BTDC at idle Reply with quote

What engine? What carburation? Can't help without knowing what parts you have.
Have you done a tuneup? New parts in the distributor? Carb(s) clean and adjusted?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad 009? Needs an extra 28* BTDC at idle Reply with quote

009 distributor:
Made in Germany, vintage: BEST
Made in Brazil: OK
Made in China: PUNT !!!

Can you put a timing light on the engine and rev up to like 3500 and see if the timing mark actually advances?? You'll get less tired doing this if the VW is in neutral, unless you're a really good runner.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad 009? Needs an extra 28* BTDC at idle Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
009 distributor:
Made in Germany, vintage: BEST
Made in Brazil: OK
Made in China: PUNT !!!

Can you put a timing light on the engine and rev up to like 3500 and see if the timing mark actually advances?? You'll get less tired doing this if the VW is in neutral, unless you're a really good runner.

Yes, it does advance when revved up.

I think it's a Brazilian 009? It's Bosch for sure, as is the condenser; it has the logo. Considering the alternator is a Brazilian Bosch, and it used to have a Bobcar 30-1 carb (now has a German Solex 28-1) it's probably safe to say about the distributor.

OK so a bit of an update, I decided to start all over at defaults for the adjustments, since fuel pressure shold be correct now. I messed with the timing a bunch before, trying to get this crap resolved. It's been going on for months. It was very obviously running rich before; black sooty spark plugs, black sooty spark arrestor discs, poor MPG.

This is the good fuel pump I have now, btw: https://www.sparxwerks.com/product/brazilian-pierburg-square-top-fuel-pump/59

So, just now I did the following in this order:

1: Static timed it to 7.5 BTDC with a test light (popped off the cap to be sure it was at #1)
2: Set the "mix" screw (the one internal adjustment on a 28) to default of 2.5 turns out
3: Started it up and it idled but didn't sound happy/sounded slow/weak.
4: Had to turn in the idle "speed" screw to fix the idle speed to ~850rpm
5: Slowly turned in the "mix" screw until the engine began speeding up. Kept going until it sounded slower, then backed it out about 1/2 turn; idle went back up faster (~1000rpm)
6: Turned out the idle "speed" screw to get it back to ~850rpm
7: Checked the timing, and it seems correct. At 7.5 at idle, and advances to 28-30'ish at high RPMs, and then settles back to 7.5 at idle.

No telling if it'll still behave once the engine is warmer again during driving, since it always seemed to happen on a more warmed up engine. Without going into a ton of details here, I'll take it down the road (15mph limit, partly more like 5-10 due to the dirt/rocky portion) about 0.8 mile this evening again and see how it does.

I did so last night for the first time since the new fuel pump, and it was still stalling out every time when I tried to come to a stop. Ie: let off the throttle, hit the clutch first and brake, and it stalls. Seems to stall before the brake but it's such a fraction of a second, it's so hard to tell. Before with the old electric pump, it would do that-- but also going down the road at about 25mph (downshifting to 2 from 3), I could press the clutch and it would stall out. I'd just shift to 2 and then let out the clutch while still rolling and it would restart the engine and then keep going if I gave it some gas, but sounded weak at first. But also it would bog when I tried to give it gas from idle'ish speeds when moving. Did that last night too. It's such an annoying thing to try to pin down. It never stalls if I am upshifting since engine RPMs are up more, so it seems to be an idle related issue.
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad 009? Needs an extra 28* BTDC at idle Reply with quote

tcoop1100 wrote:
What engine? What carburation? Can't help without knowing what parts you have.
Have you done a tuneup? New parts in the distributor? Carb(s) clean and adjusted?

1965 date code 1200cc/40HP
German Solex 28 pict 1

I adjusted the valves (months ago) and checked/adjusted the points, twice, to be sure. Haven't replaced anything ignition wise, except the spark plugs; they were Autolite, now NGK.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad 009? Fuel issue? Stalls at stops Reply with quote

Idle speed set too low!
My squareback never stalls because I keep the idle up.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad 009? Fuel issue? Stalls at stops Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Idle speed set too low!
My squareback never stalls because I keep the idle up.

I wonder if it's really something so simple. I'd feel silly if it was.

But no, I think that electric fuel pump it had was flooding/running it rich. But now maybe the idle speed is the issue? Not sure. I think timing and idle mix was way off. IE: too much fuel so it needed way advanced timing to compansate?

I cleaned off the SuperTrapp spark arrestor discs today (brake cleaner on a paper towel) so I can see if it turns black again when driving it around.

Starting over from square one adjustment wise is what's needed, I think. Just doing some stuff right now before I take it out for the 15mph drive about 0.8mi down the road and back (1.6mi round trip). I don't get higher than 2nd gear but that short drive is enough to see if it's still stalling at stops since that same short drive has resulted in stalls before when stopping, pretty consistently.

Starting to wonder if something is screwy with the 28-1. It was bought used from someone on here and it looked lie it was run through a parts washer, but maybe something inside needs attention.

I might try the Chinese 30-1 again but I need to tear it down and clean it. I was running it with the foam filter that comes in the EMPI louvered air filter lid but found it wasn't filtering at all hardly, so that carb is all dusty/dirty from desert dust/sand. Decided the build quality is crap so I got the German 28 and stuck it on right on. I got that awful foam filter out and put in a gauze (K&N style) filter, and I oiled it up with K&N filter oil, so it should be filtering better now.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad 009? Fuel issue? Stalls at stops Reply with quote

I idle my cars between 800 and 900.

A 009 distributor doesn't do anything until about 1200 RPM. That is when it starts to kick in. As long as the distributor is good it shouldn't be a factor.

Your timing looks ok.

Maybe there is something clogged in the carburetor?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad 009? Fuel issue? Stalls at stops Reply with quote

Ok, Of all the kind of weird things. I think I figured out the real issue going on.

Someone put newer pedals (ie 68+) at some point. I think the pedal stop tabs on the pedals themselves are positioned differently from the older pedal sets. I had to adjust the brake push rod in such a way that it can't fit the jamb nut. Long story about the horrible state of the brakes when I got the car. Not worth going into here. Lets just say the push rod had a bushing and was stuck way too long. I removed the bushing and adjusted the rod and it can't have a jamb nut or the brakes drag from it holding pressure on the MC.

People were telling me that defeats the purpose of the dual circuit MC I put on (had single) and to make the pedals have more travel. It had less than normal for both pedals. So I drilled a new hole in the floor pan and stacked washers under the stop plate with a longer bolt+nut, making the brake pedal spacing 8" from the bulkhead (wall) but in doing so, the clutch pedal is now 9" out. (Before they each had about 7" distance from the bulkhead) Then I adjusted the clutch cable to that amount of travel.

And I think that's the problem. It has too much travel, pulling the clutch arm too much. If I push the pedal around 1/2 to 2/3 of the travel it has right now, there's no awful noise from the clutch AND the clutch is released properly. I can shift to 1 and go. Also pressing it the partial way allows me to stop without stalling it.

I noticed this because I stalled out stopping, then restarted, and pressed only the clutch fully (in N) and it slowly dropped in RPMs and stalled. Holding it part way, no RPM drop and no awful noise. And this only seems to happen more after everything heats up (ie from driving) so I guess something metal expands and is more of a problem when it's warmed up vs cold.

Soooooo yeah, I think the pedal is the actual problem.. it's pushing the pressure plate too hard, maybe so far that it's contacting the clutch disc, and is dragging on it to the point of stalling. So, I need to just undo that stacked washers under stop plate, and put the plate back in the stock location on the pan. The plate was already adjusted as much as it could to increase pedal travel, so that's not an option. And also I need to shop around for a good used set of stock 58-67 pedals.

I thought the noise was just a bad throwout bearing but it's just overzealous pulling of the clutch arm on the transmission. Oops.
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad 009? Fuel issue? Stalls at stops Reply with quote

OK, yep, that was the problem. d'oh!

I backed off the wing nut for the clutch cable and took a short drive. No stalling now and much less noise when I press the pedal.

It's still running rich for some reason, but seems ok otherwise. Obvious black soot on the spark arrestor discs after 6 miles total driving.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: