Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ensure my car is not considered salvage?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

I could change it (or he can by editing) but I'm not sure what he meant it to be.

I think he did mean Ensure but meant something more like
"Ensure car doesn't get salvaged"
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I could change it (or he can by editing) but I'm not sure what he meant it to be.

Ahhhh. I see what you mean by adding the “D” and completing a sentence Confused

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Ahhhh. I see what you mean by adding the “D” and completing a sentence Confused

Yes - the "Ensure" was on purpose, with the elaborated sentence "Ensure my car is not considered salvage", but I like your sentence, as well! If I could "ensure" without worrying about "insur[e]"ance, I wouldn't mind - but those seem to be closely tied together in this case. Sad

So, it sounds like an insurance company will tell the DMV if they consider the car salvage, regardless as to if they pay, and the state will change the title status. Is the only way to contest that:
1) Prove it takes less to repair it than they think or
2) Prove the car is worth more than they said?

This does also sound very state specific. Which I'm assuming means it's country specific, as well. As one of the posters alluded to, this is to make sure anyone buying the car knows something major happened to the car - although that depends on the car actually being badly damaged, and not just the insurance company deciding to give up.
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure my car is not considered salvage? Reply with quote

One more thing, no guarantees. I have heard of people taking less money than offered in order to not salvage title the car. Example, Car is stolen and recovered. Column damage, wheels stolen, broken window, stolen stereo, Insurance offers $7000 or $6000 keep the car (it will have a salvage title) ask for $5000 and not to declare it a total loss. A total loss from the insurance is what gets you the salvage title. If they don't give you the whole amt, it can't be a total loss. A used column costs couple hundred as does used wheels and the side window.

I have heard this on multiple occasions, from theft, flood, and accidents - but I cannot confirm. If you have a friend in the insurance biz ask them
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure my car is not considered salvage? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
One more thing, no guarantees. I have heard of people taking less money than offered in order to not salvage title the car. Example, Car is stolen and recovered. Column damage, wheels stolen, broken window, stolen stereo, Insurance offers $7000 or $6000 keep the car (it will have a salvage title) ask for $5000 and not to declare it a total loss. A total loss from the insurance is what gets you the salvage title. If they don't give you the whole amt, it can't be a total loss. A used column costs couple hundred as does used wheels and the side window.

I have heard this on multiple occasions, from theft, flood, and accidents - but I cannot confirm. If you have a friend in the insurance biz ask them

I brought up the "what if I take less than the full amount" question with my agent during a "how to avoid getting stuck with a salvage title" discussion. She said it doesn't work that way. Once the adjuster determines the dollar amount of the loss, you either file a claim and take the full amount (which, if high enough, would total the car resulting in a salvage title) or decline to file a claim. I'm guessing that if the insurance company paid out less than the amount the adjuster came up with, it would look like they were conspiring to prevent a future purchaser of the vehicle from knowing the extent of the damage to the car??

This question/situation is best settled by a direct conversation with one's insurance agent. They have to follow the laws of the states they operate in and comply with any applicable federal laws.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: