Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 200, 201, 202 ... 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I was super excited to bring this 56 home today, well not "home" but to my shop..
56 Inca red vert, 1 exterior respray. It's never been apart, and I'm the 4th owner.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2362177.jpg[/img

It's had one fender replaced after a minor accident, which is probably when the Porsche Red happened. Tan seat covers, though the originals were two tone red and black that matched the door cards. I have a scrap they saved of the vinyl
The last owner researched the car, and I got the full detailed history. It's been a local car since new. Runs and drives fine, I just trailered it cause the weather was terrible, and I didn't want to take a chance driving it into the city.
Vin comes up as July 55, but I imagine there was a lapse between when the vin was stamped, and when the car was completed by Karman, right?
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Looks great! It must be one of the very first 56 models. I think chassis went to Karmann in batches so your delay theory makes sense. I had an Inca Red 56 model built right at the end of 55. What are your plans? Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
latinporsche911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Wow... great find! Not my favorite color but definitely wouldnt mind having it.
Out of curiosity, is it my eyes, picture angle or ?? But what's the deal with the passenger seat frame? Looks bent downward? If so, that was quite the force to do that.
Best
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Very cool !!! My verts vin is something like 1-0924??? I think its July also ? Birth certificate says built on Aug 9,1955 left factory on Aug 20, 1955.
I think i see you also have a smooth gas tank like mine.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Beautiful but definitely NOT inca red. It is the same original color as my 10/55 vert which I believe is L259 Pelican Red.

You can see here its not SWR or Poppy red

The BC did not confirm the code but they never seem to do that for special order paint. From what I understand if you were ordering a vert you could also choose a color from the ghia line up which is why there are a few strange ones out there. Usually these ghia color verts come with white interior with body color matching piping. Id remove the paint on the door panels to see what color it originally was. Looks like the seats/covers covers were changed at some point.

Seems like there are a few verts in this color, about the same as the factory 'white' verts. I still think these were dealer or photo promotion vehicles with paint for better contrast but just speculation.

Was it a tourist delivery by any chance?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

After looking at this photo you can see the red piping for sure. It sure would be nice if the original panel in fact was black since I hate the white interior and would rather restore to black. All oval verts had single color panels and seats, did you mean black with red piping?

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback!

latinporsche911 wrote:

Out of curiosity, is it my eyes, picture angle or ?? But what's the deal with the passenger seat frame? Looks bent downward? If so, that was quite the force to do that.
t

Just the camera angle playing off the way the seat is stuffed

AlteWagen wrote:
After looking at this photo you can see the red piping for sure. It sure would be nice if the original panel in fact was black since I hate the white interior and would rather restore to black. All oval verts had single color panels and seats, did you mean black with red piping?

So, you are probably right about the pelican red. I was going off the previous owners claim that it was Inca red, though I didn't feel fit matched the pictures I had seen. But, I had also read that Inca was a very hard color to match; I hadn't had a chance to really ponder it further.
About the interior.. The door panels are definitely black with red piping, and the seats matched but the covers were shot. I wish I had pictures to see, but they were described as red piping, and two tone. The bottom cushion was red on top and black on the sides, and the seat back had a red front, with black sides/ top. I've hunted through the galleries but never found anything similar.
Right now it's tucked into a corner of the shop waiting for the lift to get freed up so I can give it a thorough once over. I'll be able to take a bunch of pics then and get a better feel for it.
SD

Last edited by esde on Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:54 am; edited 2 times in total
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

The reason Inca red is so difficult to match is because it is metallic. All of the early metallic paints had issues with fading. Even in door jams when you pull back rubber seals you will see a difference in the paint. Seems like sun and oxygen were the paints mortal enemy.

Since yours is so original if you pull back the carpet below the rear window you will find the color in wax pencil.

This car has the white interior Ive seen on all the SK cars until yours.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=477853

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Here is a few period pics of a few red 56 kabrios you might like

and another pic of wax pencil markings on vert parcel tray. If your BC comes back not identified this will be your only hope.

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I thought I copied this table from a kabrio registry on this site back in 2010. Anyone know what happened to it?

56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Hey Tony hope all is well, that chart shows 1956 chassis from 1-0 929 746 to 1-1 246 618 but my 56's vin is 1-0 924XXX ?

1963 Hard Top

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Hey Tony hope all is well, that chart shows 1956 chassis from 1-0 929 746 to 1-1 246 618 but my 56's vin is 1-0 924XXX ?

Still recovering from LC but will have to say brain fog is real!!! Hope all is good with the family. I added one more and its really kicking this old ass!! You ever get on FB?

I dont thing VW knew WTF was going on from 5/55 to 5/56 especially with all the changes in 'model year' being implemented. With all the weird stuff demonstrated in the verts Karmann just added to the confusion as a coach builder. I just wish I could find that registry as the only one that I can still find is the 53 and earlier one.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

esde wrote:
About the interior.. The door panels are definitely black with red piping, and the seats matched but the covers were shot. I wish I had pictures to see, but they were described as red piping, and two tone. The bottom cushion was red on top and black on the sides, and the seat back had a red front, with black sides/ top. I've hunted through the galleries but never found anything similar.
Right now it's tucked into a corner of the shop waiting for the lift to get freed up so I can give it a thorough once over. I'll be able to take a bunch of pics then and get a better feel for it.
SD

Ive been racking the ol noggin and finally remembered where I saw that seat pattern. Its on Wills SECOND SK white 60K mile vert with black interior.

Didnt see any pics of the rear seat but also assuming the same

Id assume SK Pelican red would have the same layout just in red as you described.

Now that I know what my vert is supposed to look like (not white interior) I feel better about keeping the factory color and doing the black/red interior.

I just cant wait for you find the wax pencil mark to verify L259
latinporsche911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
I thought I copied this table from a kabrio registry on this site back in 2010. Anyone know what happened to it?

I remember seeing that chart but in a website managed by some group/individual in Europe.
One of those vw registry club. Can't recall where.

I prefer this one:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120117045207/http://...9-1957.htm
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

latinporsche911 wrote:
AlteWagen wrote:

I remember seeing that chart but in a website managed by some group/individual in Europe.
One of those vw registry club. Can't recall where.

I prefer this one:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120117045207/http://...9-1957.htm

Great listing (on the web.archive.org site link) of Oval "details"!

I compared my completely original June 1955 Oval Sunroof data to it, and I fell in right as I should in all categories and serial numbers. Then I checked the numbers off my Dec 29th, 1956 (1957 model year) Kabriolett, and found that with two days left in the month of Dec my chassis #, my engine # fell right into line with the chart. But the site says that the last Kabriolett "body number" for Dec 1956 was #33-716, but that appears to be incorrect as my Dec 29th, 1956 Kabriolett body number is #34-083 with two more days to go in the month. Oh well...

Just pointing out an apparent error with one detail on that web.archive.org site listing, otherwise it seemed right in line.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Too bad that list does not include the Karmann specific numbers that continued through end of production not like the sedan numbers which stopped in 58
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:

Ive been racking the ol noggin and finally remembered where I saw that seat pattern. Its on Wills SECOND SK white 60K mile vert with black interior.

Didnt see any pics of the rear seat but also assuming the same

Id assume SK Pelican red would have the same layout just in red as you described.

Now that I know what my vert is supposed to look like (not white interior) I feel better about keeping the factory color and doing the black/red interior.

I just cant wait for you find the wax pencil mark to verify L259

Those pics are excellent, thank you! And I did show them to the last owner, and he says that is exactly how the seat covers were, but black and red.
I spend some more time poking around the car today, it is very solid, but of course there is some cancer at the front of the heater channels. The bottom of the right firewall and front of that channel is rusted through, and the forward 12" of the left heater channel is bad on the bottom. But still, both are better than I would expect to find on a sedan, amazing considering it's a vert!
And, I did fold the rear carpet back, but did not see a crayon mark. But I had minimal light, and there is glue residue, so I may still find it

Out of curiosity, what color top does your L259 car have?
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

This is my old Dec 55 Inca Red Kab - the outside had been resprayed a Porsche colour similar to Inca red nut the inside was still Inca Red and it had the original interior which was a kind of snake skin effect. It has now been restored by the new owner but is black with off white side panels and a new interior.:

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Out of curiosity, what color top does your L259 car have?

Unfortunately back in 92 when I got the car it was just a shell with a hood sandblasted to bare metal. There were only a few specs of paint to try to match and since WAY before samba not much info out there especially on SK kabrios.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Inca Red ???
( photo from Samba member RUNKLE )

1963 Hard Top

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 200, 201, 202 ... 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Page 201 of 206

Jump to: