Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First engine build! 1776 with a pushrod question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccentricvelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject: First engine build! 1776 with a pushrod question Reply with quote

Hi all,

I acquired a fresh 1776 long block from a buddy who is getting out of VWs. Since it's been sitting for a long while, I've torn it down, checked clearances, and made sure everything generally is correct. So far so good. As I'm getting things buttoned up, I'm trying to figure out the rocker geometry. Forgive me if I use incorrect terminology or if I'm doing something obviously incorrect. I'm comfortable with regular maintenance, but this is my first complete engine build.

The cam is a Webcam 163 with 044 ported heads and 1.25 ratio rocker arms. According to my calculations, the lift should be .479, but in practice it's closer to .494 - is that too far of a difference?

I am having a really hard time trying to figure out the rocker geometry. The photos I've attached are at half lift at .247 and the numbers are the amount of shims under each stand in 0.030 increments. I think the pushrod length may be the culprit? I have an adjustable one on order, but I want to see if I've missed anything else in the meantime?

Using 1x 0.030 means I have 0 adjustment - I can only just barely set 0 lash on #2 exhaust.
2, 3, and 4x 0.030 - photos are attached
5x 0.030 - the adjusters are all the way out and flush with the locknut. This felt wrong.

Pushrod is 277mm long from tip to tip.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build! 1776 with a pushrod question Reply with quote

I believe I've read that the scat 1.25s are closer to 1.3, which explains your readings. I just went through setting up rocker geometry this past week and you really need that adjustable push rod tool. In my situation aside from some shims, I was also required to grind down the face of the rocker arms to back them out a bit more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build! 1776 with a pushrod question Reply with quote

Pic. 2 looks really close to me.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build! 1776 with a pushrod question Reply with quote

.060 looks a bit short, but close enough.
Might grind the rockers just a touch to gain more adjustment room, will "work", I can't believe scat doesn't machine the end of the rocker square Rolling Eyes
.090 looks best IMO but will need a longer pushrod.
.120 looks ok but will need a longer pushrod.

I don't think they can ever be perfect, but good enough.
Shim up until the ball to the shaft is about 90 degrees at half lift, then adjust the pushrod to get the adjuster out the right amount, and there some wiggle room for fudging one to fix the other.

OR adjust the adjuster right, then shim out until it's 90 at half lift, and find pushrods to fit.

Both ways should end up same result, assuming rocker is made right, which it roughly is, as in close enough, it isn't perfect.

.060-.080 is typical, so I'd go with .080
also known as 2mm or 14 gauge.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build! 1776 with a pushrod question Reply with quote

One more thought....(to my eyes)....

Order up some lash caps (I prefer CB's) and that'll get you a hair more into the fat of that .090" stack and will also get the nose of those adjusters off the edge of the valve stem. You don't need to be dead center (or even want to be depending on who you ask) but I'd like to see it within the circle of the valve stem and with some lash caps you'll help on both of those fronts.

You might also consider ditching those particular swivel feet for some real elephant feet too as some folks here will tell you they really shouldn't be used with higher lift cams. (Some don't even like them over .400 lift and you're closing in on .500)
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: First engine build! 1776 with a pushrod question Reply with quote

I would go back to stock 1.1 rockers. That is too much lift for stock style rockers. If you really want that much lift use the 1.3 Porsche style.
eccentricvelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: First engine build! 1776 with a pushrod question Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info! I'll order some lash caps and I'll probably need to order some new pushrods.

CB says they don't recommend their elephant feet for high lift cams over .470. Any other options for different adjusters?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: First engine build! 1776 with a pushrod question Reply with quote

,470 is a good safety set up. I have done 0,494" with elephant lifters. The geometry has to be bulls eye, or there will not be enough travel in the foot.

that said, you need to work on your geometry. Your adjusters are too far out. you should aim for apprx 1,5 turn from fully backed out. Also, if you want to continue with stock style rockers (Which I dont see a problem with as long as evberything clears) you should machine the iunderside of the rocker arms so you can back the adjuster further. The difference will be about 2 maybe 2,5 mm and will do a massive difference to your set up, in a positive way.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: First engine build! 1776 with a pushrod question Reply with quote

Yes, grind the rockers on the underside for more clearance then back out the adjuster a bit more and then re do the rocker geometry.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1403979
eccentricvelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: First engine build! 1776 with a pushrod question Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Yes, grind the rockers on the underside for more clearance then back out the adjuster a bit more and then re do the rocker geometry.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1403979

So grind this part right (pic below)? Would a standard bench grinder suffice (i have this) or does this need to be a machine shop thing?

and @Alstrup, when you say 1.5 turns from backed out, do you mean it should look more like the figure below, rather than with more threads showing under the rocker arm, correct?

Again, thanks so much for all the help!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: First engine build! 1776 with a pushrod question Reply with quote

eccentricvelo wrote:

So grind this part right (pic below)? Would a standard bench grinder suffice (i have this) or does this need to be a machine shop thing?

A flapper whhel on an angle grinder will do just fine. Just be patient, so you do not blue the material.

and @Alstrup, when you say 1.5 turns from backed out, do you mean it should look more like the figure below, rather than with more threads showing under the rocker arm, correct?
Yes

Again, thanks so much for all the help!

John Connolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build! 1776 with a pushrod question Reply with quote

Those rockers are not back-cut yet, that's the problem. Back-cut .100" (2.5mm). clean, then re-mock and measure.

If you want no-BS technical advice privately, feel free to DM me. Donations appreciated (food gift certificates, etc).
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build! 1776 with a pushrod question Reply with quote

eccentricvelo wrote:
Thanks so much for the info! I'll order some lash caps and I'll probably need to order some new pushrods.

CB says they don't recommend their elephant feet for high lift cams over .470. Any other options for different adjusters?

I agree with Cb. WISE to limit these kinds of rockers to about .470 lift They can be pushed further if you are careful there just isn't necessarily worthwhile to do so.
Those rockers look to have larger size screws, 9mm? 3/8? i don't know, but you will need to know that to replace them.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build! 1776 with a pushrod question Reply with quote

Good catch. I forgot that Scat does odd sizes on the adjusters.
We are approaching than Dan gets his will Rolling Eyes Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: