Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quarter window installation pop outs
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
The ones I have now are from KGPR.

Oh wow, and they are bunched up?? That's unusual, KGPR products are generally the better quality. Have you called KGPR to exchange them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Mine came from West Coast Metric and I'm pretty happy with them, although the pop outs still take a little effort to latch tight
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
jeffrey8164 wrote:
The ones I have now are from KGPR.

Oh wow, and they are bunched up?? That's unusual, KGPR products are generally the better quality. Have you called KGPR to exchange them?

They’re from 1994 so...
At the time I was working at Fisher Buggies and had seals from BugPack, WCM and KGPR in my hands to compare.
The BugPack were harder and a little too narrow to grab the channel. Both the WCM and KGPR fit the channel but both seem to be extruded and came as straight pieces with no curve molded in which I can only believe is the cause of the corner bunch.
The KGPR were a little more supple so I went with those.
Now, 25 years later, they’re stiff and when I open the pop outs, the seals fall out.

I ran across this thread and I’ve never seen a seal that lays down that purdy. There must be an outfit down under that’s reproducing them. I PM’d the OP but haven’t heard back yet.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

So, I think I found a solution for this problem.

Here is a new seal bent in a curve.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See the bunching? It’s exacerbated by the complex curve in the gasket channel.

I pushed some 5mm hose through it...

And I think I solved the severity of the problem.
Still there a little bit, but just a little.

judyanne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

I am changing the rubber on the window pillars on my 1960 ghia and have come across a little problem. The three window pillar screws don't seem to be holding anything. What are those screws supposed to be grabbing?
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

judyanne wrote:
I am changing the rubber on the window pillars on my 1960 ghia and have come across a little problem. The three window pillar screws don't seem to be holding anything. What are those screws supposed to be grabbing?

There should be 3 small plastic "blocks" that fit into the slot in the window pillar facing the rear of the car. Small plastic blocks with a pre-drilled hole for the screw to "grab" - about 5/8 inch by 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch. (I don't have a photo and will try to find one for you.)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22965639-143-319-l-r.html

These

judyanne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Darn, my recent order from WCM just shipped yesterday! 😂

Sounds like I'm going to have to take the window out now...
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

The 1960 VW Karmann Ghia Shop Manual - Body Section, which can be found in the Karmann Ghia Owner's Manual section under The Samba Technical tab, has a whole section on quarter window removal and installation beginning on page A-63 14.
DaddyGo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

In Rich's photo from page 1 of the quarter window just prior to installation (attached here), it shows the three plastic hinges on the rubber seal. Are they simply glued to the seal, or are they glued to the window frame with the seal cut around them to fit?

Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Just to confirm, they are for before 9/1971, as far as I know Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Hinges are slides in the aluminum vertical trim
DaddyGo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification Nick about the plastic hinges sliding into the aluminum. It appears my 69 had later windows shoved in but not attached. I found the aluminum piece on KGPR. Then that looks like the seal is cut to fit over the plastic hinges, is that correct?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Yes. There are screw holes in the pillar so line up the hinges to meet the screw holes and trim the gasket accordingly.

TwinkyZulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
So, I think I found a solution for this problem.

Here is a new seal bent in a curve.

See the bunching? It’s exacerbated by the complex curve in the gasket channel.

I pushed some 5mm hose through it...

And I think I solved the severity of the problem.
Still there a little bit, but just a little.

Great tip! Did you run the hose through the entire rubber seal?

But how do you easily put the rubber seal in the aluminum channel?
I have tried to slide it on, and tried to get one side in the groove and then with a plastic tool pop the other side in the channel, but to no avail.

Any tools or tricks that help?

I have an original VW service manual, but it doesn't give much of a description.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

I did not leave the full channel full of 5 mm fuel hose I measured and poked it in with a dowel rod to where the curve would be covered. I think that was 10 inches or so.
I used some mineral oil and a 5 in 1 to work it in. I started at the top of the channel with the inside tucked in and then using the 5 in 1 to work the outside lip into the channel. Around the bend is the most difficult. Constant upward pressure needs to be applied while working it to the end or it will pop right the heck out. Expect that multiple times. 😳
I remember it so well. All the seals are a royal labor of love.

hiho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

This thread has been incredibly helpful.

I'd like to offer up my really good experience installing the West Coast Metric seals.

I used liquid vegetable glycerin and a paint can opener that I dulled the business end down a bit.

Lightly grease up aluminum channel with above.

Work the inside lip in first starting at the bottom, about 2 inches at a time.

Dip paint can opener end in glycerin and wok in the outside lip gently nudging the seal into the channel.

Repeat, inside seam then outside.

I worked my way around to the top and trimmed it there in situ.

The corner is buckled as per photos posted earlier but I will leave it as is and hope the glass and sunshine cleans it up.

Thanks again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

I just installed the aluminum channels onto my car, and Rich's posts were quite helpful. I'd recommend an edit though. I noticed he not only trimmed the aluminum channel, but he also cut the channel to body seal. I was able to install my aluminum channel and channel to body seal without doing either of those things. I think keeping that seal intact as one piece around the perimeter of the quarter window will help keep water out. If you cut that seal, it's just another place where water could potentially enter the car.
I installed the upper half first, then the lower.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

I just did this on a 70 coupe. I used seals from Airhead, they have a molded corner, no bunching. Also left the rubber under the retainer on piece, and installed the rubber under the front retainer for door glass uper seal.

ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

There originally is also a small trim piece that covers the inside seam between the retainers

ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: