Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Axle kit for 1970 Type II Bus
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoFlo1970BusTypeII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Rear Axle kit for 1970 Type II Bus Reply with quote

I apologize in advance as I am a novice to both forums and VW‘s. We r rebuilding a 1970 type II bus and working on the rear axles. Our local guy here in Ft Lauderdale sold us on new rear axle kits. When we opened them up only one of the 4 CV joints could be moved. I asked a neighbor who has a lot of experience with VW’s and Porsche’s and we took one of the joints that didn’t freely move apart but couldn’t get it back together because the bearings were too tight in the cage. When we took them back to the shop the mechanic said we needed to attach it to the van in order to move it around and the rear joints don’t need as much movement as the front ones. They are a good shop and will stand behind them if something goes wrong but I don’t want to put the engine back in if these are going to be a problem. Has anyone ran into an issue like this or have any thoughts or advice?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle kit for 1970 Type II Bus Reply with quote

Welcome!
Sounds sketchy to me, like crappy Chinese stuff that's expected to self clearance in use, but what if it continues to "clearance" after reaching free movement?, those guys aren't exactly famous for top quality plating and alloys.

It's up to you, but just because the seller offers free replacement it's still you doing all the re and re work, as well as suffering the down time, maybe in the middle of nowhere as well.

What was so horribly wrong with your old CV's, nothing beats good German parts, even if they are used and regreased with new boots.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle kit for 1970 Type II Bus Reply with quote

Welcome. Noodle around in the Bay Window forum. That’s where you want to be. Then familiarize the Sticky’s at the top of the Bay Window forums.

Here is a link to the sticky’s. Scroll down

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165001

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle kit for 1970 Type II Bus Reply with quote

More links

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=727876&highlight=axel

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
SoFlo1970BusTypeII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle kit for 1970 Type II Bus Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Welcome!
Sounds sketchy to me, like crappy Chinese stuff that's expected to self clearance in use, but what if it continues to "clearance" after reaching free movement?, those guys aren't exactly famous for top quality plating and alloys.

It's up to you, but just because the seller offers free replacement it's still you doing all the re and re work, as well as suffering the down time, maybe in the middle of nowhere as well.

What was so horribly wrong with your old CV's, nothing beats good German parts, even if they are used and regreased with new boots.

Previous owner replaced 1 side with a Ford axle which believe it or not is in pretty good shape and feels pretty substantial. The other “original” axle, which was a bear to get off and is why I think the previous owner didn’t change it, has pretty bead wear grooves on both cv joints. 1 on the inner and the other on the outer. Both also have pretty worn out cages that look like they keep the bearings in one position rather then letting them move freely the entire run.

Just wondering of I order the German GKN kit if those joints will show up and be just as stiff. Thought someone on here might have experience with this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle kit for 1970 Type II Bus Reply with quote

Try this. It has a video.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle kit for 1970 Type II Bus Reply with quote

New stock VW CV joints for the bus are indeed stiff but they can be moved by hand with effort. I have no idea about aftermarket ones as to quality or fit. After we wore out the first set of CV joints on Dad's '69 Bus we took them completely apart once a year, cleaned and repacked them with grease and the second set were still on the Bus and in good shape when I sold it 2 years ago.

The axles are quite easy to remove and service with the engine in the Bus. No reason to delay putting the engine in just on account of axles! If you are having trouble it's because they are neglected and seized up. Or are Ford parts? I have never heard of using Ford axles on a VW Bus!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: