Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original Color on Brake Drums 1955 Oval??
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veraarem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Original Color on Brake Drums 1955 Oval?? Reply with quote

I am restoring a pretty original 10/55 Oval. Body is still first paint and interior is still original (both with necessary wear obviously). I will leave body and interior as is and am redoing all what is underneath the car and would like to coat all parts in original color where possible. Does anyone know what color the brake drums were originally from the factory?
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Color on Brake Drums 1955 Oval?? Reply with quote

Black?

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Color on Brake Drums 1955 Oval?? Reply with quote

from photos in 'als der kaefer laufen lernte' they look to be semi gloss black. would it be paint or chemical blacking as it would need to be heatproof.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Color on Brake Drums 1955 Oval?? Reply with quote

Based on the pictures in the 'als der kaefer laufen lernte' book, and other pictures I have seen, the front axle assemblies were built of from all unpainted parts except the shocks. Once they were assembled, the entire assembly was spray painted black. This included all of the rubber pieces. Yes, the rubber parts all got painted. It was a shiny black paint but since none of the surfaces were sanded, primed, sanded again and then painted like the bodywork would have been, so the finish is uneven but does have some shine. My guess is it is gloss lacquer. It will have some shine but to get a glass smooth shiny finish, it has to be color sanded and polished so when you don't do that and apply it to suspension components you get a dull gloss.

The rear axle tubes appear to have been built from unpainted parts and then painted. I believe the drums were painted separately. The parking brake cables appear to have been installed before painting so the ends of the cable housings where they are attached to the backing plates got painted. The axle boots appear to have been stretched over the inner flange after the axle tube and retainer plate were painted. There is no paint on the boots or clamps.

From what I could tell, the insides of the brakes were left unpainted. This means the inside of the drums were unpainted along with the inside of the backing plates and all of the brake parts inside.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Original Color on Brake Drums 1955 Oval?? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Based on the pictures in the 'als der kaefer laufen lernte' book, and other pictures I have seen, the front axle assemblies were built of from all unpainted parts except the shocks. Once they were assembled, the entire assembly was spray painted black. This included all of the rubber pieces. Yes, the rubber parts all got painted. It was a shiny black paint but since none of the surfaces were sanded, primed, sanded again and then painted like the bodywork would have been, so the finish is uneven but does have some shine. My guess is it is gloss lacquer. It will have some shine but to get a glass smooth shiny finish, it has to be color sanded and polished so when you don't do that and apply it to suspension components you get a dull gloss.

The rear axle tubes appear to have been built from unpainted parts and then painted. I believe the drums were painted separately. The parking brake cables appear to have been installed before painting so the ends of the cable housings where they are attached to the backing plates got painted. The axle boots appear to have been stretched over the inner flange after the axle tube and retainer plate were painted. There is no paint on the boots or clamps.

From what I could tell, the insides of the brakes were left unpainted. This means the inside of the drums were unpainted along with the inside of the backing plates and all of the brake parts inside.

Yes, to correct it a little, also the drums have been painted after the whole assembly, front and also rear. The reason for painting the already assembled parts: It's easier, as all flanges keep free from paint as they should. The paint will have been the same black, as for all the engine tins and chassis and more parts. That paint was thin withpout primer and filler.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veraarem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Original Color on Brake Drums 1955 Oval?? Reply with quote

Thank you all for the information and tip for the book with factory pictures (I ordered it - it is great). I will go with black paint but will get all the parts coated separately and then assemble it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: