Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What was your best stock engine ever?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

225 could be had with 727 from 68 on till 87, Vans , trucks, C-bodies

Mercedes 4 cylinder diesel deserves mention
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Rebuilt a lot of them 727's ,many 'plow trucks', guys would break the reverse Band Rolling Eyes
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

5.4L in my F250 has been the best stock engine I've ever owned. The 300 straight 6 was right up there.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

The 4.3 V6 in our '97 GMC Safari was a great engine. My parents bought it new and gave it to me when it was at about 190k. I drove it to 270k before I sold it still running fine. Only engine work ever (outside of the usual maintenance items) was an intake manifold gasket. Wish the trans had been as good as the engine though. Reading through other posts on this thread, it seems like usually the most boring engines are the ones that last the longest.
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:

Yes, I had two half tons equipped as such.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

True, the Chrysler slant 6 only had 5 main bearings when every other 6 cylinder of the day had 7 mains. But then they had a forged crankshaft as opposed to the cast iron cranks others ran with.

And of course they hardly had the power to pull the hat off your head. I think that was a big part of it too.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

4 main bearings, good breakdown of the engines history from UTG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxagYZ7zrsI&t=461s
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
crofty wrote:
"The ignorant green agenda" got the air cleaner, and automobiles more efficient. if you dont like that go drive a tractor.

Air quality is getting worse here. We never had the problem here that people in Californication had. All that smog you guys talk about was never here. I think our cold weather is what save us that problem. If a car was not in good tune here in the winter it just simply would not run! You cannot get away with the neglect that people in warm climates can. Now with the increase in population and everyone driving gas guzzling SUVs our cities are really starting to stink like never before!

Its a statement piece. Made even better with a "FJB" or "Keep Tahoe Blue" bumper sticker.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:

Mercedes 4 cylinder diesel deserves mention

The diesels engines from the W115 & W123 and get my vote.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

I've only ever owned two engines in my entire life: a 1500cc ACVW engine that pushed my Bug around for the first twenty-something years, and a heavily-modified 1645cc ACVW engine that's been pushing it around for the past ten years. So I guess I have to go with the 1500cc, by default.

That little 1500cc took every bit of abuse I could throw at it since I was 16, though. Damn thing was as fragile as an anvil!

Bonesberg55 wrote:
oprn wrote:
Worst: 460 Ford, had 2 of those 11 mpg gutless valve train clattering pieces of poop!

I had a mint 1974 Lincoln around 1990. It too had the 460. With a 2:21 rearend, about 5000 lbs in weight, and 195 hp it was a dog and this was the last year before catalytic converters. That 11 mpg was pretty accurate around town. I did get 17 mpg on the highway but it was gutless. The only other comparable dog I had was a Buick Electra Park Avenue with a 403 V8. both were very smooth rides however.

I gotta say, it truly boggles my mind how they could build an engine with 460 cubic inches of displacement . . . and still manage to make LESS than 200 hp!

I mean, even if they had been trying to screw it up, I don't see how they could make such a small amount of power out of an engine that size!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

My dad ordered a new 1975 f250 460ci and it was a dog!!!
he knew the guy at Ford that runs their 'Dynamometer section' he told dad to install 1971 crank & timing gears, he did ,and it woke it up some ,but, after just 5000miles he jerked it out and tossed in a 1969 429ci from a T-bird,, truck ripped and got 18 mpg instead of 9 mpg Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
4 main bearings, good breakdown of the engines history from UTG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxagYZ7zrsI&t=461s

Thanks! My memory failed me on that one but I knew it was a weak bearing setup. They countered it by using a forged crank. The AMC 6 may have been forged too but I hesitate to say for sure, the rest were all cast iron cranks.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
I've only ever owned two engines in my entire life: a 1500cc ACVW engine that pushed my Bug around for the first twenty-something years, and a heavily-modified 1645cc ACVW engine that's been pushing it around for the past ten years. So I guess I have to go with the 1500cc, by default.

That little 1500cc took every bit of abuse I could throw at it since I was 16, though. Damn thing was as fragile as an anvil!

There are a lot of you 1500 fans out there but I contend that the 1300 was the longest living, toughest engine VW ever produced. I think that because it only had a one year run in North America, too few people actually experienced it. That was an amazing engine, the newer stronger bottom end with the 1200 pistons and heads and... it was only 3 HP short of the '67 1500!
Also remember that the 1500 VW put in the early Busses and type 3s was a completely different animal than the 1500 from '67 and newer. The old 1500 was probably the worst engine VW ever built from a longevity standpoint. It was based on the 1200 case.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Hands down, my 1960 Beetle had the best engine!
Easy to work on,
Parts were dirt cheap and readily available
And
Unless something went bad wrong, it ALWAYS started and took me where I wanted to go. All along the way just sipping 23 cent per gallon gasoline.

Fast? No
Reliable? Yes.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

I've owned a lot of cars in 50+ years. Probably the "best" engine was the 4.0 liter V6 in our 2005 Toyota 4Runner. We bought it used with 50,000 miles and sold/gave it to our son and his wife at 160,000. They still own it and have 200,000+ on it. Other than regular 30K/60K/90K maintenance and oil changes the only repair was an alternator. Still uses no oil at all between changes. Smooth with plenty of power and gets 22-25 mpg on road trips.

Another nice one was my first car a 63 bug. I rebuilt the worn out 40 horse with the 83 mm Repco big bore kit. Even with stock carb and exhaust it had surprising power. It gave me pleasure to know that I had torn it down in my folk's driveway and rebuilt it myself.
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

I also had a couple of Volvo 240s and that 2.3 L 4-cylinder was a workhorse.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

for me it's one of these, l put one and the 5 speed, in a 1978 bus.
it was a beast.
sold in 1998 to fund a world travelling expedition

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

619 201 0310
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: