Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to mount capacitor to circuit board?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

I have had other engine work (heads) done a few months ago, but the capacitor is still doing its job perfectly.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

The way condensers are made today, there's really nothing to guarantee a solid connection
between the actual capacitor and the can its in:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

More on this is here:
http://nonlintec.com/sprite/cap_failure/

I found a good old style condenser on eBay. It has the roll'd top edge, forcing good can contact. Its top center terminal is a big solder blob, to which I solder'd an old style VW wire that has a bracket, grommet and cool rubber cap, making it sorta match my distributor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: How to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

A capacitor's 'real' job is to block DC and allow AC to pass. The condenser is actually being used like a 'sponge' in an ignition system. The collapsing magnetic field around the coil, when the points open, creates thousands of volts on the primary coil (12v side) this is enough voltage to arc across the plug. During this interval the condenser discharges back through the primary winding producing an oscillation of the current flow in the primary circuit for the brief interval that is required for the primary circuit to return to a state of equilibrium. The condenser does not discharge until after the spark has occurred at the spark plug.

Contact pitting results from an out of balance condition in the system which causes the transfer of tungsten from one point to the other so that a tip builds up on one point and a pit on the other. The direction in which the tungsten is transferred gives an indication for correcting the situation. If the tungsten transfers from the negative to the positive point one or two corrections may be made. Increase the capacity of the condenser, shorten the condenser lead, separate high and low tension leads between the coil and distributor, move these leads closer to the engine block. If the transfer is from the positive to negative point, reduce condenser capacity, move low and high leads closer together and/or away from the engine block, or lengthen condenser lead.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

You mean square waveform rather than sinusoidal?
PWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: How to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

Something to ponder...
Having the condenser (capacitor) as close as possible, with minimum lead length to the points might be beneficial, or even essential to the longevity of the points.

From a design layout standpoint, it would be much more convenient to have the condenser wired up around the coil, or even built into the coil, but this configuration is not typically seen, and maybe for good reason?
Trace (wire lead) impedance becomes a more prevalent design requirement in electrical engineering when inductive loads, high frequency, and voltage come into play...

I wound try to keep the location of the condenser as close as possible to the points, but that's just me.

On a separate, but similar note, you hear a lot of guys complaining about how points aren't what they used be. Some claiming they only last a few hundred miles. I wonder how much of this issue is also a result of lousy condensers not sufficiently suppressing the arcs at the points?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: How to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

I will look into relocating my capacitor, then.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
I will look into relocating my capacitor, then.

@OP, your original post was over 4yrs ago. You confirmed the capacitor is still working fine... how have your points held up? Have you noticed better or worse pitting/point life with the modified condenser and longer wires?

Replacing points once ever year or two used to be normal if we put 10K miles year on our cars. But considering most of us drive our Beetles only a few hundred miles a year (if that)... our points should last multiple years before pitting their contacts and going bad. If yours need to be replaced yearly it could mean the long wires are a problem. If after 4 yrs you are still running the same set of points... I'd leave the wires the way they are.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

The innards of the rebuilt distributor at the time I installed the capacitor are still in there doing their thing. However, over the course of that time the car was off the road more than it was on the road. So I really can't judge whether or not the excessive distance of the capacitor from the distributor has caused any excess wear to the points.

Now that the car is fully functional I don't want to find out.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
The innards of the rebuilt distributor at the time I installed the capacitor are still in there doing their thing. However, over the course of that time the car was off the road more than it was on the road. So I really can't judge whether or not the excessive distance of the capacitor from the distributor has caused any excess wear to the points.

Now that the car is fully functional I don't want to find out.

The distance shouldn't matter. The dominant resistance in the circuit is that of the secondary coil which is in the order of 7-9K ohms. The difference of less than an ohm from the location of the condenser next to the coil or next to the distributor is not going to matter - it is well within the variation of just the coil resistance from coil to coil.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: How to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

Well, the last time I checked the points, they looked clean, so I guess I can leave the capacitor where it is. But I will keep an eye on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: