Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor Pan Drain Plug?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OrangeMango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Floor Pan Drain Plug? Reply with quote

Hello all,
Im in California and the storms were really bad beginning of this month, well today i decided to take a look at my beetle to see if I can get her running again. Did a few things and finally got to pit the battery in when i see a big puddle on the driver side. My cars in the drive way to the front is dry but its a deep puddle in the back. I believe my pop out windows un-popped and water came in from there, its happened before but it hasnt rained like this in a long time so ive never had water in the car like this. Is there a drain plug hole anywhere I can pop or should I just drill a hole for the water to drain out?

https://imgur.com/a/IO25mp3
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pan Drain Plug? Reply with quote

No such thing as a drain plug.
Please don't drill a hole in it. It will only become a place where water can find its way in. Vacuum it out, put a fan on it and dry it out. Then find and fix the leak.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pan Drain Plug? Reply with quote

EDIT:
Never mind. My suggestion has already been presented.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
OrangeMango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pan Drain Plug? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Please don't drill a hole in it. It will only become a place where water can find its way in. Vacuum it out, put a fan on it and dry it out. Then find and fix the leak.

What if i drill a hole and plug it with a bolt afterwards? Im trying to borrow a shop vac now but thinking a drain plug might not be a bad idea if it happens again.
99% sure its the window, idk why they pop open so theyre not sealed shut.
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pan Drain Plug? Reply with quote

How about a cup to scoop some out and then a big sponge?
Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OrangeMango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pan Drain Plug? Reply with quote

Big Bull Shooter wrote:
How about a cup to scoop some out and then a big sponge?

😂 I wanna laugh but also cry it would work
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pan Drain Plug? Reply with quote

OrangeMango wrote:
jeffrey8164 wrote:

What if i drill a hole and plug it with a bolt afterwards? Im trying to borrow a shop vac now but thinking a drain plug might not be a bad idea if it happens again.
99% sure its the window, idk why they pop open so theyre not sealed shut.

If you're really set on the drain plug idea.
Go to your local Porsche dealer and order a 1970-1976 914 chassis drain.
They still carry them. It's a German direct delivery part.
The last time I ordered a couple of them. It took about three weeks for the plugs to arrive at the dealer. The drain cost around $3.50ea.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pan Drain Plug? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
If you're really set on the drain plug idea.
Go to your local Porsche dealer and order a 1970-1976 914 chassis drain.
They still carry them. It's a German direct delivery part.
The last time I ordered a couple of them. It took about three weeks for the plugs to arrive at the dealer. The drain cost around $3.50ea.

Or you could see if you could find grommet plugs or caplugs like these at an auto parts store:

https://www.amazon.com/CAPLUGS-Assorted-Flush-Moun...&psc=1

Having said that, I too would discourage drilling a drain hole. Remove the standing water the best you can using any of the aforementioned suggestions and dry out anything still wet/damp with a heat gun or hair dryer. If the pop-out windows are not providing a reliable seal, invest in a car cover or tarp until you can get those window seals replaced or latches working properly (or, if necessary, replaced).

Rust is the worst ... but mold is a close second.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pan Drain Plug? Reply with quote

OrangeMango wrote:
Is there a drain plug hole anywhere I can pop or should I just drill a hole for the water to drain out?

There's already one at the back of the tunnel, a couple more couldn't hurt Smile

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352342&highlight=drain+hole

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=218609&highlight=chassis+plug

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111701309
BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Pan Drain Plug? Reply with quote

Hi folks, I noticed from the information given in some of the links that the later Beetles had a front drain hole, along with the usual one in the back of the tunnel. can anyone take a picture to show me exactly where that front one is? Thanks!
1971 Stock South African Beetle 1300 : My mom's european "Thin Chick" spec. Completely stock with torsion bar front, swingaxle rear, smooth hubs, single MC, 40 mm shoes, 31PICT3 carb and 5 bolt drums all round, currently Running a 1976 SF:AS engine with the original SF:AD engine overhauled in a box, waiting to go back in one day.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pan Drain Plug? Reply with quote

BMFBMF wrote:
Hi folks, I noticed from the information given in some of the links that the later Beetles had a front drain hole, along with the usual one in the back of the tunnel. can anyone take a picture to show me exactly where that front one is? Thanks!

If you go to this link below, they're selling pans and there are 5 images for the product description, check out the 4th image, it shows a Super Beetle pan bottom-side, tilted up on edge. The front hole is at the very tip of the front end, in the center of I guess what I would call a cross-beam section or something, that boxed section that supports the control arms...
https://www.flatoutcustoms.com/product/VWBeetle13031302floorpan/5

It's not viewing properly on my phone through their website, it crops the edges off, as if it only displays in portrait format, but I found the pic on google images where it displays full width in landscape.
BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Pan Drain Plug? Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Busstoom, unfortunately the picture is cropped like that, its not your phone 😉😒.

Cusser just posted (by happenstance) a picture of his drain hole (haha that sounds dirty) present on the later supers . Im wondering if I should drill a hole there.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1971 Stock South African Beetle 1300 : My mom's european "Thin Chick" spec. Completely stock with torsion bar front, swingaxle rear, smooth hubs, single MC, 40 mm shoes, 31PICT3 carb and 5 bolt drums all round, currently Running a 1976 SF:AS engine with the original SF:AD engine overhauled in a box, waiting to go back in one day.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Pan Drain Plug? Reply with quote

Hi BMF, that's interesting.

Here's the pic I was referring to, you can see that this new hole is in a different location. Maybe it's a tooling hole, maybe it's a later drain hole location, I don't know.

Also, I think I understand what is going on with these remanufactured floor pans; it sounds like the original hole gets removed in the modification process (that's an assumption), I copied some of the steps from this supplier's process to show how a new frame head/crossmember is used, and how the old hole might get covered up by new parts.

Photo courtesy of FlatOut Customs https://www.flatoutcustoms.com/product/remanufactu...egory_id=5

Reprinted from https://www.flatoutcustoms.com/product/remanufactu...egory_id=5 (some steps omitted)
- Remove old 1303 frame head.
- Remove front center spine closing plate.
- Add reinforcement plate to center where the frame head over laps.
- Align new 1303 frame head using a special jig and using measurements at key Datum points.
- Seam weld the 1303 frame head onto the center spine.
- Spot weld and seam weld the napoleons hat on the 1303 frame head.
- Seam weld the reinforcement plate to the frame head.

I will say this, VW put those drains in there for a good reason. This is what can happen if oil starts leaking into that tunnel. I'm in the midst of a pan-off to drain and clean this mess from my tunnel right now.

vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pan Drain Plug? Reply with quote

If you drill holes on both sides get two nipples like the one on the rear of the tunnel. If you don't fix the leak right away they should drain water and keep bugs out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: