Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
filmfolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

Hello, first post here. old guy back in VW world after a long break.

Bought a 1970 Ghia and forking on the front beam. Price and performance parts aside:
For better driving and handling is it not better to keep a wider (stock) beam?
OR go two inches narrower for slightly wider tires?

My understanding was always to slightly lower the front and rear , keep the wide adjustable axle then choose a wheel and tire combo match.

I understand its limiting how wide a tire I can choose and im ok with it. Im aiming for a daily driver style car that takes canyons well. Obviously replacing tie rods, steering box, dampeners, bushings, shocks etc

currently the car has an adjustable beam (needs work ie replace ) and coil overs in back. this seemed a reasonable set up for pretty good handeling.

thanks all. .
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the Samba Ghia Forum
here are my thoughts of good handling for the least money.
Definitely keep the stock width front beam. Spend the money you save on getting custom offset steel wheels. 5 1/2" front and 6" back will be easy to fit and have a good turning circle.
At the front get an adjustable beam or drop spindles or both. Drop spindles take it down 2 1/2" and fine tune with the adjusters. User stock roller bearings in the beam, not urethane. Empi have a new forged 0 offset drop spindle: https://empius.com/products/empi-forged-b-j-drop-spindle-set-for-2-piston-caliper/
get caster shims and camber eccentrics, a 19mm front sway bar and nice oil filled shocks. Koni reds if the budget goes that far.
for the rear, new urethane torsion bar bushes. look for some porsche 924/944 23.5 torsion bars (their standard size) and maybe a sway bar. Again Koni reds.
there is also a wheel and tire thread with a lot of combos others have done.
Good luck
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

You will lose significant turning radius with dropped spindles.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

filmfolks wrote:

You can't go wrong with advice from Ian: N.B., the extra bits he names. Years ago I came across this tidbit from Bruce2 on STF which I found accurate in setting up my Ghia: "I had a road racing friend tell me that a narrowed beam will make the car handle worse since it narrows the track. I say no, not if you make the tire contact patch wider such that the outside contact points are wider than stock." (https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=107189)
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

Jeffrey8146, I was curious how drop spindles would reduce the turning radius?
if the spindles make no track change the only difference is the wheel sits 'higher' in the wheel well. I can't see how that changes how far to the left and right it can move?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's because of the leading edge of the wheel. The spindle actually is higher so all the stuff that's tucked in there is riding lower in the wheel. It hits sooner as a result.

I've been chasing this Ghia suspension for decades. I'm considering a lowered beam instead but I can't find one that starts at stock height. All the vendors I've asked say they start lower and no one can tell me how much lower they start.
If I had a welder I'd do it myself.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

Thank you for the photos. I can see the issues you are talking about.
I had a different sway bar design that was out of the way, so for me the issue was the top of the shock towers which I cut at an angle and welded. I also had a lot of Neg camber Smile

I think your pix and mine will give the OP food for thought.
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

jeffery8164, can I PM you about where you are placing the rubber blocks with the Quick Jack? Could I bother you for some pictures?

Olli
filmfolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
Hi and welcome to the Samba Ghia Forum
here are my thoughts of good handling for the least money.
Definitely keep the stock width front beam. Spend the money you save on getting custom offset steel wheels. 5 1/2" front and 6" back will be easy to fit and have a good turning circle.
At the front get an adjustable beam or drop spindles or both. Drop spindles take it down 2 1/2" and fine tune with the adjusters. User stock roller bearings in the beam, not urethane. Empi have a new forged 0 offset drop spindle: https://empius.com/products/empi-forged-b-j-drop-spindle-set-for-2-piston-caliper/
get caster shims and camber eccentrics, a 19mm front sway bar and nice oil filled shocks. Koni reds if the budget goes that far.
for the rear, new urethane torsion bar bushes. look for some porsche 924/944 23.5 torsion bars (their standard size) and maybe a sway bar. Again Koni reds.
Good luck

jeffrey8164 wrote:

It's because of the leading edge of the wheel. The spindle actually is higher so all the stuff that's tucked in there is riding lower in the wheel. It hits sooner as a result.

I've been chasing this Ghia suspension for decades. I'm considering a lowered beam instead but I can't find one that starts at stock height. All the vendors I've asked say they start lower and no one can tell me how much lower they start.
If I had a welder I'd do it myself.

AHHHH Thank you. I appreciate it.

So I wasn't far off kinda . I assumed a slightly lowered beam so that is going in, sway bars and Ive been studying wheel offset, Wheel offset talks usually are more about slamming it lol.
Ive not had a good feeling on spindles merely because it may or may not be well engineered for anything beyond looks and never seemed a good Idea to lose strength and possible tweak in adjustments over hope of gain in performance. Those Empi look nice though and could be a later upgrade after further research.

Currently planning and have all new tie rod dampener etc some KYB up front
a beam Im told is 2' lower than stock(unless you ask and they wont really commit and as they dont seem to know what size the zerk is...). And yes bearings in the beam.
As far as wheel combo, I currently have some old "vintage " , possibly 70s Empi Rivera (with the brown gold not the black, that i need to find the specs on) I'm quite fond of them.

. I had planned to install it all and do the basic alignment , im pretty good at that actually.
Then take it to my favorite tire/ alignment shop to see what tires fit best, for car and wallet, then decide on further lowering on beam or spindle.

As far as caster shims go Im told/read its best to wait till its on the rack and choose the right size shims. Is this not so?
I do always love a good link to learn from.
filmfolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
filmfolks wrote:

You can't go wrong with advice from Ian: N.B., the extra bits he names. Years ago I came across this tidbit from Bruce2 on STF which I found accurate in setting up my Ghia: "I had a road racing friend tell me that a narrowed beam will make the car handle worse since it narrows the track. I say no, not if you make the tire contact patch wider such that the outside contact points are wider than stock." (https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=107189)

excellent! Thank you!
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

That sounds like a good plan.
So caster...
VW specifies 3.33 deg + or - 1 deg. this give a good compromise between the weight of the steering turning at low speed and good straight line stability at high speed. Less caster = light steering but less stability at speed. More caster = heavier steering but more stability. Also, when you lower the front you lose caster, and the more you lower the more you loose.
I like more straight line stability, better cross wind stability etc and I don't worry about steering weight at parking speed. So I like 5 - 6 degrees caster. One set of shims behind the bottom beam should get you in this ball park.
By way of another related example, lot of Porsche's (rear engine) specify 8 deg caster. There is quite a difference between alignment settings for best tyre wear, light steering etc and carving corners Cool
filmfolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
That sounds like a good plan.
So caster...
VW specifies 3.33 deg + or - 1 deg. this give a good compromise between the weight of the steering turning at low speed and good straight line stability at high speed. Less caster = light steering but less stability at speed. More caster = heavier steering but more stability. Also, when you lower the front you lose caster, and the more you lower the more you loose.
I like more straight line stability, better cross wind stability etc and I don't worry about steering weight at parking speed. So I like 5 - 6 degrees caster. One set of shims behind the bottom beam should get you in this ball park.
By way of another related example, lot of Porsche's (rear engine) specify 8 deg caster. There is quite a difference between alignment settings for best tyre wear, light steering etc and carving corners Cool

thank you Ian.
last question , probably, i hope,lol

So caster shims, They're sold in different degrees, how do I choose? Do I assume a shim of 2.6 or 4 as conservative guess and adjust from there?

I had assumed there was a way to "bench" set it before going to the Rack, similar to setting the camber eccentric with the beam on the level bench and setting toe in the parking lot with the gauge.

Of the handful of Vw's I've owned I've taken one to a pro without issue (that was the (90's). Former military mechanic and we didn't have a rack so I got pretty good at it from the book.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

If you are only going to have the nose a bit lower than the rear, I think 2.6 deg will be good. But you won't know until you get it aligned. Or buy a camber/caster gauge and do it yourself.
Get a pair of 100mm grade 8.8 bolts to use with the shims. The stock bolts are 90mm and are a bit short when you have the shims behind the bottom beam.

If it turns out not to be enough for good stability, it is not that hard to put in a 4deg set once you have done it once Wink
filmfolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
If you are only going to have the nose a bit lower than the rear, I think 2.6 deg will be good. But you won't know until you get it aligned. Or buy a camber/caster gauge and do it yourself.
Get a pair of 100mm grade 8.8 bolts to use with the shims. The stock bolts are 90mm and are a bit short when you have the shims behind the bottom beam.

If it turns out not to be enough for good stability, it is not that hard to put in a 4deg set once you have done it once Wink

awesome thank you!
Sat up and relearned how to use the guages and ordered the $13 amazon model.
funny its all starting to come back to now.. And dont worry, coming back in to the hobby Ive done about everything twice.

Thanks again for the help.
filmfolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:

Good luck

Hi Ian, I had forgotten about this nugget of gold. My ghia had a massive drivers side sag, worse than wear like its a different bar. Racked my brain on how to replace and just this morning the 944 23.5s were delivered.

Next thing tho...what degree to index it?

all the tech specs my eyes are bleeding from say 14-17, I feel like it should be stock 20 20 10 to provide a useable performance rake.

all new bushings every where, KYB shocks all around , 2 1/2 in drop in fron, 175 65 15 tires ( rivera brushed with gold rims w crap offset looks nice), sway bars when the rear end is done.
filmfolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

I can’t speak about 944 torsion bars.
My stock bars were at 21 degrees unloaded and off the stops.
I indexed them to 19 degrees for a 1” drop. I got close. Actual drop was 1.25”.

filmfolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I can’t speak about 944 torsion bars.
My stock bars were at 21 degrees unloaded and off the stops.
I indexed them to 19 degrees for a 1” drop. I got close. Actual drop was 1.25”.

Thanks Jeffrey, did you by chance measure your bras diameter?
Im still baffled as to how or why my left side dropped far. yes triple checked index level etc etc, the don't appear to be the same manufacture or manufacture year(left side impossible to read corrosion) so If stock 70 ghai is 22mm as the internet suggests, wth is in my left side weak spring?
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension and beam question for best performance daily driver Reply with quote

For the 23.5's I set mine up so they just slid over the stops on the torsion housing. I don't know what angle it was, but the finished ride height was about 2" lower and was good for me Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: