Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

My rail buggy has a 2082 (92x78.3) with 11.5:1 compression, W130 cam, nicely ported heads and dual 48 IDA carbs. Its running a 4.57 gear in a 6 rib and 30.5" tall drag radials. I am currently running pump E85 and working on the tune. Thanks to John at aircooled.net for getting me the base jetting. Here is what I have started with and where I am so far:

1st set up:
37mm venturis
65 idles
180 mains
200 airs
F7 emulsion tubes (John recommended F2 and turn them down .010, but I didn't have any to begin with)

This set up seemed ok from idle to up to mid range, but fell flat in the upper gears and was actually pinging when trying to pull in 4th from half throttle and up

2nd set up:
37mm vents
70 idles (improved idle and made it more consistent and steady)
180 mains
200 airs
F11 emulsion tubes (still haven't got the F2s yet) turned down .019"

This set up showed great improvement in mid range pulling power. Still detonation under load in 4th gear

3rd set up:
All of the above the same but changed to 185 airs.
Now it seems to have great power pulling hard all the way into 4th gear with the only lean feeling when in 4th gear, half throttle, pulling a hill....basically I have to create the worst possible scenario.

I have some F2s on the way from John and when they arrive I will turn them down and install them per his instructions and let you all know how it does.
I have also just welded in an O2 bung so I will hook up the wideband to see how close I was able to get it and where it ends up. The plan is to get it dialed in well and then add a nitrous fogger system for up to 100hp shot
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

Good luck. John was a great help on gas. But E85 is another story. I started a thread on this and posted my findings.

Try big airs. Like 240 or 260. E85 seems to like it.

30% more is rule of thumb.

Pump jets need to be 65 or 70.

Are you running out of fuel? My 48’s run out mid 4th gear. I am set up for 1/8’th so not an issues. Long pulls and your bowls will be empty. I have -8 to the regulator with a aeromotive black pump. -6 to the carbs with 300 needle seats. And larger float bowls. It uses a ton of fuel.

200 mains
260 airs
78 idles with 110 holders
48 vents
F2’s turned down.

Bigger engine. But you will be close.
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

King_vw61 wrote:
Good luck. John was a great help on gas. But E85 is another story. I started a thread on this and posted my findings.

Try big airs. Like 240 or 260. E85 seems to like it.

30% more is rule of thumb.

Pump jets need to be 65 or 70.

Are you running out of fuel? My 48’s run out mid 4th gear. I am set up for 1/8’th so not an issues. Long pulls and your bowls will be empty. I have -8 to the regulator with a aeromotive black pump. -6 to the carbs with 300 needle seats. And larger float bowls. It uses a ton of fuel.

200 mains
260 airs
78 idles with 110 holders
48 vents
F2’s turned down.

Bigger engine. But you will be close.

Thanks for the input. Yours in certainly a lot bigger and making a LOT more power than I am. I am curious why you think bigger airs? Wouldn't larger air correctors dilute the already lean top end mixture that I have experienced or am I thinking wrong?
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

I think your running out of fuel in the bowls and it is reading lean

What mods do you have to your carbs?

What is total timing also, E85 likes timing. 33 to 35 is normal for it
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

No mods to the carbs as of yet. -6 line from regulator. Timing is set at 31 total running a 009. About to add a 6AL box before I add the nitrous
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

you have to have bigger float bowls if your making 4th gear pulls with E85.

Drag guys run out of gas at the end of the 1/4 and thats gas, E85 is 30% more usage at min.

The hole opening up the float bowl started so the carbs would not have a running out of fuel issue.

Make a pull and kill it when it goes lean in 4th, coast to the side of the road and pull the top of the carb off. YOu will see it is empty or close to it.
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

Since winter is right around the corner, I will pull them off when weather changes and put them on the mill and open the bowls
Witnin01340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

Maybe put bigger fuel lines like 5/16 and a good pump that will keep steady pressure as a Holley red, if the holley red is compatible with E85 not certain of that.If it is running out of fuel and it has the stock size fuel line this may help the inlets on my 44s came with 5/16.

I have no experience with E85 so just thinking it could help by bigger lines and a good pump,if it dont already have them.
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

I am running -6 (3/8") line all the way from the tank to the carbs. I'm currently running a small Holley clicker type pump that is regulated to 3 lbs. I will probably be upgrading to dual Holley Red pumps. One for the carbs and a dedicated pump for the nitrous system.

My F2 Emulsion tubes are supposed to be in by tomorrow, so I will post an update this weekend
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

I can't help on setting up carbs for alcohol, but I do have one thing to point out. E85 is for flex fuel engines. It isn't E85 year around. In the winter it typically drops back to 70% alcohol.

I have enviously looked at E85 for a much more stock engines (compression would need a bump) but then realized it was a changing fuel and that seemed hard to tune for. That, plus limited pumps in western WA, and I was out for now.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

Pump e85 is not consistent and can be anywhere between 70% and 85%. Most all pumps I've looked at are label "Minimum 70% ethanol". This can be a problem for jetting carbs. Not so much of a problem with EFI.

They do make an e85 race fuel that is consistent 85% ethanol.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

So I received my F2 emulsion tubes and immediately turned them down .010 and then installed. At the same time I backed the timing down from 31 to 29 degrees total and went for a drive. What a difference! No longer have a death ping at any load or throttle position. Keeps pulling the more I push the throttle even at ridiculous speeds on the highway. Now I will hook up the wide band and see if there is any more fine tuning to be done

One thing I did notice is that it is getting harder to start initially after sitting overnight. Once started, it fires right up the rest of the day. I started having this issue several weeks ago and had progressively gotten worse. I don't think it has anything to do with the tuning I have done, but maybe more with the cooler weather. I have driven this thing when it is as cold as 49 degrees out and it REALLY took a while to get it started that morning. Any thoughts? Is that just the issue with E85?
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

Run one hotter plug, I run D7ea's use to run 8's

Also put your timing back to 31 0r 32, E85 likes more timing. Might help cold starts also. Hotter ignition helps but thats expensive
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

King_vw61 wrote:
Run one hotter plug, I run D7ea's use to run 8's

Also put your timing back to 31 0r 32, E85 likes more timing. Might help cold starts also. Hotter ignition helps but thats expensive

My heads are older and run 14mm plugs. I am running BR6HS right now. I am getting ready to add a MSD 6AL box and then I will play some more with the timing.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

c77owen wrote:
Any thoughts? Is that just the issue with E85?

Yep, that's why I quit using it. Very rough to start in cold weather. And what is siting in the float bowls seems to goes stale faster than if it was just gas.

Often the weather just changes too fast.

The ideal cure.... is a dual fuel system, but only the most hardcore nuts go that far, I'm still skeptical myself.
A more powerful ignition system will help, good idea.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

I've been running E85 for a few years now in my EFI turbo bug. Pretty much always reads 78% year round. That's here in Florida! I do remember reading it may change in the winter, but maybe that's just in the colder States?
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
I've been running E85 for a few years now in my EFI turbo bug. Pretty much always reads 78% year round. That's here in Florida! I do remember reading it may change in the winter, but maybe that's just in the colder States?

Back when I drove something fun, we pretty much sat at 68-69% all the time here in Utah. Been a few years since I've purchased it though.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

since we are talking E85 %'s I know 85% is 106 octane, what is it for 80% or 75%? I have looked and can't find it anywhere.
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

Thought I would post some updated pics and info to this. Had some fab work done to upgrade the fuel system on my buggy as well as get the nitrous solenoids and bottle mounted. Now to plumb and wire it all and install the new MSD ignition box, coil, RPM switch, etc.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Tuning my IDAs for E85 and more... Reply with quote

so after getting everything back together and back up and running (and weather worth driving in), I have run into an ignition problem. I upgraded the ignition system to a MSD 6AL box (new old stock, never installed, of the older version that takes the rev limiter pills), MSD Blaster 2 coil, all triggered by my original 009 distributor. Starts and runs fine. Drive it for as long as I want with no issues....until I shut it off. Once the engine is warmed up and I shut it off, it will not restart until it has cooled down. Cranks fine, just no spark. I believe it is the MSD box as it is getting a good signal from the distributor (as noted by my tach and my digital RPM window switch). Swapped coils and drove till warm and again, no start until cooled down. The box is mounted inside my aluminum tool box away from any heat source and is cool to the touch. Is this a common issue with MSD boxes or a VW thing? I never had issues in years past with them. Another friend of mine is having the EXACT same issue with his, although his is the newer style box. I would like to get this figured out so that I can finish tuning with the nitrous
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: