Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

if you think you are smarter than the previous generation..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:
CanStan wrote:
Where I live, we elect school board trustees, who play a major part in setting curriculums for schools. So I guess I have the ability to make change there.

I’m also not one of those parents who shuffle my kids off to school for 6 hours a day, 200 days a year, and think they’ve learned all the skills they need to be better than my generation. If school teaches my kid to read, it’s my job to practice that skill every night at home with them. If school teaches them to count to 100, it’s my job to make sure they can count to 1000. What the school system teaches should only be a small piece of the puzzle.

What about back when a lot of kids (especially in rural areas) didn’t / couldn’t go to school? They had no access to information from the internet or encyclopedias. Do you think kids are smarter now than then? And if they were smarter back then, who do they have to thank?

It feels like passing the buck to say kids are stupid, and it’s not our fault.

I 100% agree with you, my wife is a teacher and works for the second largest school district in the US. She always tells me about her students and how some are far advanced than others. She says the common thing with those kids are their parents are heavily involved in their kids education. She will email or call parents to talk about issues with other kids to try and help but 80% of the time the parents will not respond.
She will have meetings with parents and after the meeting she says she can understand why those kids are doing poorly in class by meeting the parents Shocked
By the time my kids were 3 they can tell you where all 50 states were on a map, so yes school doesn't end when the bell rings, as a parent its your responsibility to make sure your kids are smarter than the previous generation because it reflects on you.
Look at it this way, Your old VW will only run as good as how good the person maintains it. The same as our kids.

My son and daughter-in-law are teachers. Their 5 year old can already read and the almost 3 year old can do simple math.

That's a proud Grandpa right there, good for them. In our house when our kids were young most everything was a learning experience, Glenn I'm sure your kids do it similar. My 22 yr old is graduating this year with his BA and then he's going for his masters in History, my 17 yr old will be graduating HS this year and then off to collage.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

HMVWNAB wrote:

Link

This is perfect. Mr. President is so right. Some will find his response smug and arrogant. Some people will only think he put that young hippie in his place. The previous generation lays the groundwork for the current generation.

Some people think there is only one way to build an engine because, that’s the way it’s always been done. Some people build better engines because their knowledge has advanced. It’s not good for the mind to be stuck in one decade.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
I agree that parents have to share in the education of their children along with the school system. That has always been true. However, when parents will not share in that responsibility, the school has to take charge. That means "holding back a student who does not meet acceptable standards despite the parent's insistence that they be promoted. It goes the other way as well. When a student excels, they should move up. In the 30s, both of my parents skipped an elementary grade. Does that happen anymore? The school system says its not good for the child to not be with kids their own age. Likewise, that appears to be the reason for not holding them back? My younger son repeated kindergarten at the suggestion of his teacher & our agreement. By the end of the primary grades, he had "caught up" to his twin sister & today at 40 years of age he is a very successful salesman for a major tool manufacturer. I even graduated him a year early despite the local school district saying they did not allow early graduations anymore.

I can kind of agree, they still hold kids back but most parents don't want their kids to be held back. As a parent if your kid is struggling you need to take charge and maybe consider outside tutoring or after school classes.
If kids are really really struggling usually the good teachers have an IEP test done ( if the parents approve) to see if they have a learning disability. You would be surprised how many parents don't want to have their kids checked, they don't want their kids labeled that way.
I'm a firm believer our youth will only advance/excel with the help of good parents/mentors.

1963 Hard Top

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
My 22 yr old is graduating this year with his BA and then he's going for his masters in History

My son got his under graduate degree in history. He then realized there's not a lot of jobs for male history teachers, so he got his masters in Special Ed and got a great job right after he graduated.

Food for thought.

Everything is a "teaching moment", even failure.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:
My 22 yr old is graduating this year with his BA and then he's going for his masters in History

My son got his under graduate degree in history. He then realized there's not a lot of jobs for male history teachers, so he got his masters in Special Ed and got a great job right after he graduated.

Food for thought.

Thank you Glenn, I will definitely talk to him. That's very cool for your son to become a Special Ed teacher, It takes a special/caring individual to teach in that field + I hear the pay is really good.

1963 Hard Top

DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

I always say that the youth today know everything and nothing all at once.
Their knowledge is an inch deep and a mile wide.

They no longer have to remember anything because their brain is in their pocket.

But, it's not their fault... we did it to them.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

DeathRay64 wrote:

They no longer have to remember anything because their brain is in their pocket.

Another solid post. Young folks don’t need to waste time using a slide ruler to solve problems either. They just use the technology in their pocket computer. It’s more efficient than carrying around an HP scientific calculator like my generation did in the 80s. And if they wasted time using old Tech when new Tech is available. That would be a bad decision. Use the best tools you can. Work smarter, not harder. Know how to use the new tools and keep up to date.

Side note. Young people do not need to spell accurately. The people who make a difference in moving society forward are smart enough to know what is meant. They don’t waste time fixing punctuation and autocorrect errors.

Think of a doctor writing a prescription back in the day. You couldn’t read the handwriting but the pharmacy could.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
DeathRay64 wrote:

Another solid post. Young folks don’t need to waste time using a slide ruler to solve problems either. They just use the technology in their pocket computer. It’s more efficient than carrying around an HP scientific calculator like my generation did in the 80s. And if they wasted time using old Tech when new Tech is available. That would be a bad decision. Use the best tools you can. Work smarter, not harder. Know how to use the new tools and keep up to date.

Side note. Young people do not need to spell accurately. The people who make a difference in moving society forward are smart enough to know what is meant. They don’t waste time fixing punctuation and autocorrect errors.

Think of a doctor writing a prescription back in the day. You couldn’t read the handwriting but the pharmacy could.

U R rite as u usaly r. (dammit i shur mis marq tukker.)
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
DeathRay64 wrote:

QFT
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

I think the initial post in this thread had a lot more to do with the current level of litigation in society in general and not how stupid/ignorant the current generation is. My Porsche 356's had a "driver's manual." Cars going back decades now have "owner's manuals" instead and everything is "take your vehicle to your authorized (manufacturer) dealer" for even the most mundane maintenance/repair task. Blame the lawyers, not education levels. I've seen people in my age group (boomer generation) do some pretty stupid shit, too...
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Young folks don’t need to waste time using a slide ruler to solve problems either. They just use the technology in their pocket computer. It’s more efficient than carrying around an HP scientific calculator like my generation did in the 80s. And if they wasted time using old Tech when new Tech is available. That would be a bad decision. Use the best tools you can. Work smarter, not harder. Know how to use the new tools and keep up to date

I’ll bet there was a generation who were pissed at how lazy and stupid kids were because they were using a slide ruler instead of an abacus. And the slide ruler generation was pissed off at the calculator generation.

But have no fear, the iPhone generation of today will be ranting in a forum 50 years from now, asking why the kids don’t just do it ‘the hard way’ like they did.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Glenn wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:

Food for thought.

Thank you Glenn, I will definitely talk to him. That's very cool for your son to become a Special Ed teacher, It takes a special/caring individual to teach in that field + I hear the pay is really good.

My mother was a Special Education teacher. God bless special education teachers!! Her son was not far off from benefiting special education classes. Fortunately my parents encouraged me to be me to discover what I do well. I’m doing pretty good in life with my high school only education. It’s always tough for me to see people I have to fail with college degrees.

Not everyone is Michael Jordan, not everyone is Taylor Swift, not everyone is Bill Gates, not everyone is Lord Bezos. Don’t take a dump on generations you don’t understand. It’s up to us to learn from the past and where the future is going. It’s so easy for so many people to dismiss the past and the future. That’s a shame.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Its easier to say what would stay. The 3 Rs & perhaps U.S. history.

Try and be more specific. You seem to have a problem with what's being taught so it should be easy to elaborate on what it is thats not to your liking.

Who's version of "History"?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Quote:

That should read, "whose" version of history. Time to bone up on the readin' and 'rightin'... Razz
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Elvis and Evel were the god fathers of multimedia influencers. If they only had the internet at the time. They would have dominated the dojo and print their own money. Unfortunately they weren’t in control of their finances back in the day.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This modern social media influencer net worth is $30 million. Not bad for a no talent ass clown. Seems like he’s got it figured out. He’s actually a pretty tough boxer. His influencer brother net worth is $4.3 billion. Those young kids are pretty crafty and made a nice living. People who developed social media even made more money exploiting them. Like the colonel to his Elvis Wink

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Thanks for proving my point. The culture of social media is superficial and just today's version of pop culture.

If you wish to understand the world, you examine everyone's version of history and deduce the truth from there.

Learn from scholars like Victor Davis Hanson for history or Milton Freidman for economics... or Thomas Sowell.

There is much more depth to understanding the world than Wikipedia can give you.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
Its easier to say what would stay. The 3 Rs & perhaps U.S. history.

Try and be more specific. You seem to have a problem with what's being taught so it should be easy to elaborate on what it is thats not to your liking.

Comprehension is part of reading. U.S. history is not specific enough? Anything not current events that was eye witnessed. How's that?
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Quote:
"Side note. Young people do not need to spell accurately. The people who make a difference in moving society forward are smart enough to know what is meant. They don’t waste time fixing punctuation and auto correct errors."

Everyone needs to spell correctly & use proper grammar. We are not some third world nation. If that's not in today's curriculum, then that's part of the problem. I remember the terrible memos from my working days.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

DeathRay64 wrote:
Thanks for proving my point. The culture of social media is superficial and just today's version of pop culture.

If you wish to understand the world, you examine everyone's version of history and deduce the truth from there.

Learn from scholars like Victor Davis Hanson for history or Milton Freidman for economics... or Thomas Sowell.

There is much more depth to understanding the world than Wikipedia can give you.

Thanks for understanding my point. Everything is new again. Right?

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

I surely understood your point... It was just superficial and missing the bigger picture.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: