Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any good you tubes for bumper impact strip install?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Any good you tubes for bumper impact strip install? Reply with quote

I struggle with these every time. Have read multiple posts and still not good at it. Anybody have a link with really good pics or a youtube for installing these on a late model? Thanks!
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good you tubes for bumper impact strip install? Reply with quote

Lay them in the sun so they soften up. Line them up, put the clips into the end slots. Use a small come along, attach the hooks into the holes on the ends of the metal clips and slowly tighten it. Install the pointy center screw to hold the middle and when tight enough, remove the come along and bend the metal tabs over.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good you tubes for bumper impact strip install? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Lay them in the sun so they soften up. Line them up, put the clips into the end slots. Use a small come along, attach the hooks into the holes on the ends of the metal clips and slowly tighten it. Install the pointy center screw to hold the middle and when tight enough, remove the come along and bend the metal tabs over.

OK, one point about "lay them in the sun to soften them up". The rubber impact strip has a steel strap running through the middle of the entire impact strip. The sun is not/does not soften that up.
I thought about making some hardware for the end pieces that used a bolt attached to the inside steel of the bumper by the square hole. By screwing the bolt in, it would push the metal tab on the ends of the impact strip towards the end of the bumper and stretch the impact strip. Of course at that point I had already had the bumpers powdercoated, so I couldn't weld the tab on. But next time! Wink
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good you tubes for bumper impact strip install? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Did you lube the rubber at all to help it slide? I saw the post where you used a wire rope. Was there a particular come along that you have used?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good you tubes for bumper impact strip install? Reply with quote

Actually i "think" i just used same wire and a turnbuckle.

Remember it was 24 years ago, Some times I can't remember what i had for breakfast.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: