Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Saw this thread back at the top thought I'd follow up..

After the car started acting up i suspected my $20 MSD 6A and free Blaster SS.
Only because it was so cheap and it was the last thing i changed.
Replaced the coil with a new one and it didn't fix the issue.
Then went back to the stock ignition and still no love.

After trying on a different set of carbs it became obvious it wasn't the ignition.
Stupid Kadrons the emulsion tube falls off the air jet. Embarassed
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This fooled me first time i took the carbs apart.
You would never know unless you pull the air jet.
(have to use a drywall screw that mangles the jet Rolling Eyes )

So back on with the MSD stuff and it's all running good again.
Even with my free coil! Smile
So just because it's free or cheap doesn't mean it's bad.
Wonder how often an ignition has been blamed for a fuel problem?
Probably more often than not.

Anther thing i was trying to fix with my ignition was a loading up problem.
Running Kadrons with a big cam means a puckety idle that causes one cylinder to run rich and another lean on the same head.
This can be a challenge when you sit and idle all the time like we do here in Santa Cruz.

When my kid was learning to drive the car would load up and stall a lot.
I'm good about winding it up and clearing it out because i drove these things for years.

Putting the MSD CDI and coil seems to have stopped the problem.
It will idle and idle without stalling.
It also won't stall on tip-in like it did before.
A regular person can drive it in traffic now.
You don't have to be me!

I'm also noticing the stink is down a lot too.
You don't smell like exhaust as much after driving the car.

So,
Yeah,
This was a great improvement for me here.
Big thanks to Jeff for putting this up.

Best 20 bucks i ever spent! Laughing

What’s That Noise?!?
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Witnin01340 wrote:
I said i will reply the results i got by going with the china msd,crane hi6,so the engine is a 2.2l type1 around 10ish compression with a 306 duration cam.

The engine would not run below 850rpm without being fussie but after installing the crane hi6 with the china msd the engine now will idle smoothly at 650rpm thats not a mistype,650rpm and gained hp through out the rpm range so a big thanks to jpaul.

Im not saying every engine will get the results this engine did with the crane hi6,china msd setup.

Thanks for posting the results after getting everything figured out! Thats awesome. There is alot of power on the table by making some adjustments to the timing curve and getting that dialed.

The MSD timing kit that rayjay mentioned is really a must have:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8464?seid=s...gId-fD_BwE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Clatter,

Glad you reported back on your setup too! There is always something to "throw us off" when working on a upgrade. Your transparency is always humbling.

Being able to get a healthy boost in performance AND reliable system for low out of pocket is the spirit of this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Witnin01340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Thanks jjpaul for mentioning the timing kit that rayjay mentioned.

I know theres little more power in this engine but at this time i need that kit and dont have it yet,but will soon and will post back results in near future.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Witnin01340 wrote:
Thanks jjpaul for mentioning the timing kit that rayjay mentioned.

I know theres little more power in this engine but at this time i need that kit and dont have it yet,but will soon and will post back results in near future.

When I was doing recurves commercially there was an active Buick GS Stage 1 group in metro Atlanta . They had a very specific curve they wanted in the dist. The quote from one of the members that lived near my shop was "... it feels like an additional 40hp...'' JUST DOING THE RECURVE !! No mods to the carb, ex, cam, etc. Just lighting the fire at the optimum moment. Of course these were 455 CI bruisers so the potential gains were dramatic but the same thing is available for every engine out there. Very rarely is the factory curve anywhere near what the motor wants especially anything after 1968. Even my 68 GTO had a dual adv can on the distributor to lower NOX I guess.

VW people are on the whole completely blind to the potential performance gains already in their motor just not realized because of late ign timing through the rev range.
zorravw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Good morning, currently my distributor that had a cb performance in my car just broke down, and I am interested in calculating that distributor, seeing the positive comments, will they have the most recent ebay link for the product to be able to purchase it? Currently in my car I bring a msd 6al box with msd cables and a msd blaster 8207 coil, thanking you for your support. Cheers
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262592812986

This one doesn't appear to have the extra springs, adv limiting bushings or the clamp kit. You might look around on Ebay and see if any other vendors have the full kit. Otherwise you have to buy the stuff from MSD or Summit or Jegs or ebay.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/262592812986

This one doesn't appear to have the extra springs, adv limiting bushings or the clamp kit. You might look around on Ebay and see if any other vendors have the full kit. Otherwise you have to buy the stuff from MSD or Summit or Jegs or ebay.

Actually, if you scroll down to the last pic in the ad. The springs, bushings and clamp kit are featured.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Jeff ask for a Photo of my Sparkler's Laughing The wife even helped Shocked this is at Idle MSD 7al-2 & msd Distributor

Thanks again,Jeff,, Cheers,Mike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Mike did something unique above. He combined a old analog MSD 7AL2 with a old school Mallory promaster 28880 coil. Great combo!

Thanks for posting the pictures of the spark mike, its nice to get a visual that the 7al2 is exploiting that coil to the max and everything is healthy. I bet it runs nice
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Hey Jeff, Yes it runs nice ,starts right up , to bad we have 8+ inches of snow on the ground with 18* or I'd take it for a spin, luv to try out the 2 step Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

I have a question on the original Crane Hi6N CDI, MSD Clone, LS-92 coil setup.

On my OG ignition build. Even though I connected the tack wire to the, IIRC white trigger wire.
I couldn't get a tach signal.

What is needed to get the tach to work correctly with the above CDI system?

Mine is VDO in dash mini tach. I may, in the near future use something like an Auto-Meter large tach.

I'm collecting the goodies to replace the OG CDI. Mine was stolen.
Along with my car over a year ago. Got the car back, not the ignition system. Rolling Eyes

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

The White wire is the correct tach output. All your cdi/gauge ground wires connected?

VDO tachs I know nothing about, anyone know any differences between a VDO that are different then other tachs?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I have a question on the original Crane Hi6N CDI, MSD Clone, LS-92 coil setup.

On my OG ignition build. Even though I connected the tack wire to the, IIRC white trigger wire.
I couldn't get a tach signal.

With my MSD 6200 i had to use a tach adaptor in order to trigger a VDO tach.
Even though it says you don't need it on their chart..

https://www.jegs.com/p/MSD-Ignition/MSD-Tach-Adapt...LM_PD_BwE#

Not sure which one works with the Crane CDI, but I'd bet lunch it's needed.

What’s That Noise?!?
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Thanks Clatter! I was guessing someone out there knew. Appreciate the link.

Rusty, For $125 for a adapter, it might be time to think of a different brand like autometer that doesn't need a adapter.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Thanks Clatter! I was guessing someone out there knew. Appreciate the link.

Rusty, For $125 for a adapter, it might be time to think of a different brand like autometer that doesn't need a adapter.

No kidding.
That adapter is almost half the cost of the entire CDI system. Shocked
Lol!

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Nothing sez "In your Face" like Autometer Laughing

Here,,,Kitty,kitty Laughing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Crane Hi6N harness question.

I'm building a new harness for my replacement CDI ignition.
On the smaller, red black distributor cables, they are shielded.
Should these two cables be run separate from the switched power, coil, and main power cables?

This go around. I'm using Deutsch connectors.
Damn, that is a slick connector setup! I wish I would have bought these connectors earlier.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Yes,Keep the Shielded diz wires away from the rest Wink
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

FWIW I've never had VDO tachs work with... any ignition system. Rolling Eyes I'm convinced, like their GPS speed sender, that they have actually never produced a tachometer that works and they've just been really good at PR/damage control. I think my 3 different wildly inaccurate floaty-needle VDO tachs is pretty decent evidence. I once got one to work on a very specific ignition system with a trial-and-error resistor capacitor filter combo and a Zener diode. Cool Then one day it stopped and never worked right again.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 44

Jump to: