Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally on the road
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
desi2960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Finally on the road Reply with quote

It's about 3 years and a bit of work, but today got inspection and license plates.

Got a bunch small things to do, and I guess I'll never be finished, but runs down the road real nice.
Really happy
CAVEHEAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally on the road Reply with quote

Oh, you gotta post a picture of it
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally on the road Reply with quote

desi2960 wrote:
It's about 3 years and a bit of work, but today got inspection and license plates.

Got a bunch small things to do, and I guess I'll never be finished, but runs down the road real nice.
Really happy

That’s a good accomplishment! Believe that is the blue ‘74 wagon which looked pretty good to begin with. Yes, please give us some newer updated photos so we can all see.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally on the road Reply with quote

Looks like a runner!
Should buff out the paint.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desi2960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally on the road Reply with quote

The photo shows it, only difference is the the new 8 spoke rims.
Took a 100 mile ( will I get back home ) trip and it ran great with slight steering wheel vibrations, and a bit of engine oil odor. Neither is a huge concern. I have never aligned front-end it is as it was when I got it.
The engine and Trans pulled and new cylinders and pistons might be some of the oil odor.
I drove 94 miles and used 3.8 gal gas. 24.7 mpg.
Not great, but I did remove the single progressive carb that was on it and replaced with duel rebuilt solex. I'll put few miles on it and might try to do a real fine tune up.
It's a bitch to start on real cold mornings as I don't have a choke.
All in all I'm happy with it so far, next I'm pulling the am fm 8 track and going to get it repaired. I've got some eagles, Stevie ray Vaughn, and Sergio Mendes.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally on the road Reply with quote

There you go. It’s coming along! Over 24 mpg, that’s really good! That was a good move to install those dual solex carbs. Thank god you got rid of that single. I have not yet broken the 20 mpg level. Still have go out for a continous cruise of over 100 miles. Just changed my out my break in oil ater 600 miles of engine break in. I was also running the gas heater quite a bit. Warmer weather will will give me better results I am sure.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desi2960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally on the road Reply with quote

Pepper, I don't have either heater hooked up, but I still drive it in 40 degree weather.
I'm impressed with the way it runs in cold weather.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: