Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake line install
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a late model pic(from the gallery here) brake line routing hi lighted in red
No the cables are not in anything from tunnel to backing plate, just the sheath they wound cable is enclosed in.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnfraser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the brake line too close to the hand brake cable here?
definately touching but dont know if it matters

the brake line connection is pretty close to where the hand brake cable comes out and i dont want to put too much of a bend in it

thanks
rusty60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished new lines a few weeks ago.
johnfraser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick question...
where to do the low pressure hoses from the resevoir to the master cylinder run? do they go through where the tank sits? cant see any other holes for them but surely the tank will foul on them this way....
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake line install Reply with quote

Gonna revive this one, good info so far! Is it possible to replace the entire metal line without separating the body and pan? I assume so, but wanted to get verification. I'm going to completely replace my lines front to back, is there a master list of everything I'd need for a 1966 Beetle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake line install Reply with quote

SparksLP wrote:
Gonna revive this one, good info so far! Is it possible to replace the entire metal line without separating the body and pan? I assume so, but wanted to get verification. I'm going to completely replace my lines front to back, is there a master list of everything I'd need for a 1966 Beetle?

There are brake hardline replacement kits available from most of the usual VW parts suppliers online.

My buddy Don replaced all of his on his 66, without removing the body from the chassis.
The toughest one to get in, was the cross over line from the drivers side to passenger side rear.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Brake line install Reply with quote

Good to know, thanks!
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake line install Reply with quote

Hmmm. My car doesn't have any of the clips that hold the brake line against the tunnel. What can I do to keep it from moving around inside the car?
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake line install Reply with quote

Take a look in the classifieds. Here's some for a buck each.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake line install Reply with quote

SparksLP wrote:
Hmmm. My car doesn't have any of the clips that hold the brake line against the tunnel. What can I do to keep it from moving around inside the car?

You will need to weld in steel tabs or screw some in. Be careful, if using screws, to not hit anything in the tunnel! Look through the shifter opening to see what is in the way.

If welding, be sure to not melt anything!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake line install Reply with quote

No way to weld anything, so I'll have to find some sort of tab to screw in (or JB Weld?). Stupid thought, could I just use a hot glue gun or something similar as a temporary fix until I can have tabs welded in?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake line install Reply with quote

I bent some clips out of sheet metal to hold the line against the corner of the tunnel and floor. I attached them to the floor, each with a single 1/8 inch stainless steel pop rivet. I didn't want to drill holes in the tunnel so I moved the attach point out just a little so it wasn't going through the lip the floor attaches too. I think I had one behind the pedal cluster, one in front of the seat frame, and the last one behind the seat frame.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Brake line install Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I bent some clips out of sheet metal to hold the line against the corner of the tunnel and floor. I attached them to the floor, each with a single 1/8 inch stainless steel pop rivet. I didn't want to drill holes in the tunnel so I moved the attach point out just a little so it wasn't going through the lip the floor attaches too. I think I had one behind the pedal cluster, one in front of the seat frame, and the last one behind the seat frame.

^^^ This is what I would do in the case of no weld machine available.

Except, I wouldn't bother with the forward clip ahead of the pedal cluster.
There is, IMO, plenty of brake line support from the through passage of the nap hat.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake line install Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
EVfun wrote:

^^^ This is what I would do in the case of no weld machine available.

Except, I wouldn't bother with the forward clip ahead of the pedal cluster.
There is, IMO, plenty of brake line support from the through passage of the nap hat.

This is a good idea. Any concerns with the seat rails/things I should look out for?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: