Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

if you think you are smarter than the previous generation..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Quote:
"Side note. Young people do not need to spell accurately. The people who make a difference in moving society forward are smart enough to know what is meant. They don’t waste time fixing punctuation and auto correct errors."

Everyone needs to spell correctly & use proper grammar. We are not some third world nation. If that's not in today's curriculum, then that's part of the problem. I remember the terrible memos from my working days.

“Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest:
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this and this gives life to thee.”
-Bill Shakespeare

I’m ok with the evolution of languages. God forbid we Americans mix French, German, Spanish, and others into our way of modern communication.

The young adults are fine with syntax errors. They get it. My Gen-X generation made efficiency and the bottom line more important than correct spelling.

My handwriting has become terrible over time because I really don’t need to put pen to paper anymore. My kids at work weird out when I write in cursive. I might as well be writing Kanji. d'oh!

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
crofty wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
Its easier to say what would stay. The 3 Rs & perhaps U.S. history.

Try and be more specific. You seem to have a problem with what's being taught so it should be easy to elaborate on what it is thats not to your liking.

Who's version of "History"?

Comprehension is part of reading. U.S. history is not specific enough? Anything not current events that was eye witnessed. How's that?

I’m thinking U.S. history is a bit myopic.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

I never heard the word "cursive" until we moved to the Midwest back in the 60s. It was always "handwriting" & was listed that way on our report cards. I don't hand write anymore & haven't for years. I print everything in capital letters.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
I never heard the word "cursive" until we moved to the Midwest back in the 60s.

The left-handed kids excelled at cursing while trying to write %^#$%&^$@%&@ cursive !!! We learned all that in the late 1950s/early 1960s.

I can write my name in cursive; otherwise, I've only printed (in all capitals) for the last 50 years or more.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

DeathRay64 wrote:
Thanks for proving my point. The culture of social media is superficial and just today's version of pop culture.

If you wish to understand the world, you examine everyone's version of history and deduce the truth from there.

Learn from scholars like Victor Davis Hanson for history or Milton Freidman for economics... or Thomas Sowell.

There is much more depth to understanding the world than Wikipedia can give you.

Drooling con parrots…..

Marx, Adam Smith, Keynes, George Will, Paul Krugman, David brooks, heather cox Richardson
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
DeathRay64 wrote:
Thanks for proving my point. The culture of social media is superficial and just today's version of pop culture.

If you wish to understand the world, you examine everyone's version of history and deduce the truth from there.

Learn from scholars like Victor Davis Hanson for history or Milton Freidman for economics... or Thomas Sowell.

There is much more depth to understanding the world than Wikipedia can give you.

Drooling con parrots…..

Marx, Adam Smith, Keynes, George Will, Paul Krugman, David brooks, heather cox Richardson

Marx and Keynes and that idiot Krugman (who has never been right about anything) are the reason our economy is heading toward disaster. Modern monetary theory will be the end of us all... exactly what Marx wanted.

Brooks and Will are tools of the old guard.

Adam Smith was a brilliant defender of Capitalism and doesn't belong on any list with Marx.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

On the subject of parent participation in a child's education, think about this:

Poverty breeds poverty. What poorly educated parent who has to have 3 minimum wage jobs to supply the basic needs of his/her family has time to sit down and fill in the blanks left by an overworked teacher with class sizes way beyond reason?

Two things are going on in our society right now that are heading in the wrong direction for future generations. Both are greed driven. Efficiencies in the classroom leading to larger and larger class sizes and electronic and internet based "teaching aids" to assist teachers handle these class sizes. The result is more and more students lacking in personal one on one oversight that is needed to keep them from falling through the gaps (formerly cracks) in the system.

The second is the move in industry to eliminate the full time employee with benefits. Everyone will soon need to juggle multiple part time contract jobs to make a living. Where does proper child rearing fit into that economic model never mind picking up the slack where the modern education system is failing?

These changing times are not all for the betterment of humanity folks!

What about the old saying "Education begins at home."? Today no one IS at home! The home is empty! That is the very start of the problem right there!
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

A line from the movie Lucy has stuck with me. Said by Morgan Freeman -

If you think about the very nature of life-I mean, on the very beginning, the development of the first cell divided into two cells-the sole purpose of life has been to pass on what was learned.

So, if you think you are smarter than the previous generation, thank them. Wink
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

My folks were too busy making a living to be able to spend much time helping us with school work.
However they did leave a great example.
Some siblings excelled. Others not so much.
There are an infinite amount of life experiences and choice's that make generalizing an individual or generation a fools errand.
Who knows exactly why some choose to drink the battery poison while others choose to engineer the battery.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

My grandson's 4th grade class has 15 students. We live in a rural area and that may have something to do with it but a class size of 15 is nothing compared to when I went to school in the 60s & early 70s. In high school our typical class size was 30+ and sometimes approached 40. This was in the suburban Chicago area. In elementary school in northwest New Jersey our class sizes were more like 25.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Imho, being smarter than previous generations is subjective.
Being more intelligent is a lost art..similar to lost common sense.
As we age, some of us learn to be smarter and more intelligent, some don't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

I've been bothered by an ad that's been running on TV recently. I think its a Cigna ad saying that "Age comes with wisdom". The order of those words makes all the difference. The Oscar Wilde quote is "With age comes wisdom".
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

there is no definition of intelligent. its not a thing to be measured, neither is its opposite. smart people do dumb things all the time, and dumb people are capable of very intelligent behavior. i consider myself a total idiot. no matter when youre alive the people are all the same. go back 50,000 years ago and its no different. the fallacy of conflating technology with intelligence, the fallacy of standing on the shoulders of giants,we are not tall,and the 'giant' is really just a bunch of people just like you stacked up. Idea
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

^ sign of the times.

Last edited by Mickey bitsko on Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

If each generation passed kowedge and wisdom on to the next one, humankind as a whole woud be living nirvana. Human existance instead moves foward with the fuel of greed, dominance and imminent control. I know it's gruesome, but can anyone show where we will be better off in the near future? Oh, there's Mars I guess.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
Human existance instead moves foward with the fuel of greed, dominance and imminent control.

Herein lies the failure of all civilizations in history! And herein lies the failure of all that we will attempt to do in the future. It is somehow deeply ingrained in every human being to some degree to be self serving to the detriment of everyone and everything around us. If we could just bring our children up with the ability to control and moderate those urges...

Hang on... there is a word for that... completely lost in these times... it is called... let me think now...

Help me out here, it's been so long since I have seen it... morality? No more than that, humanity?
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Nailed it! ^
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
2type2 wrote:
Human existance instead moves foward with the fuel of greed, dominance and imminent control.

Herein lies the failure of all civilizations in history! And herein lies the failure of all that we will attempt to do in the future. It is somehow deeply ingrained in every human being to some degree to be self serving to the detriment of everyone and everything around us. If we could just bring our children up with the ability to control and moderate those urges...

Hang on... there is a word for that... completely lost in these times... it is called... let me think now...

Help me out here, it's been so long since I have seen it... morality? No more than that, humanity?

I don’t have any kids. My wife and I with only high school diplomas worked our way up to provide for ourselves. This meant odd hours and relocation if needed for promotions. We are very selfish with our free time and like to explore different cultures around the world. Not a lifestyle conducive for raising kids.
Did I mention selfish with our time. We would make horrible parents. We did really good taking care of our parents when the time came. So we had that.

I wish more young people had self awareness that parenting might not be the right thing for kids. I also wish some people didn’t feel pressured to have kids. The last thing kids need is parents that don’t have time for them.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
If each generation passed kowedge and wisdom on to the next one, humankind as a whole woud be living nirvana. Human existance instead moves foward with the fuel of greed, dominance and imminent control. I know it's gruesome, but can anyone show where we will be better off in the near future? Oh, there's Mars I guess.

Just because you pass the knowledge on doesn't mean that whoever you pass it on to is going to use it.

The advance in medical care is an example of building on the knowledge of the people that came before you.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

[quote="outcaststudios"]there is no definition of intelligent.

Webster would disagree & so do I. There are also definitions for normal & abnormal.

Last edited by Bonesberg55 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: