Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought a 74
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 74 Reply with quote

And a 986 Cool
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 74 Reply with quote

Actually it’s a 987. Even better. Smile
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 74 Reply with quote

Today was my birthday, and my mom got me a present. She really likes the orange Ghia. She was at my house a few weeks ago and asking how I was going to fix some of the rust. I told her I’d found the rear corners on TheSamba for sale. She insisted on ordering them for me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 74 Reply with quote

swhitcomb wrote:
Today was my birthday, and my mom got me a present. She really likes the orange Ghia. She was at my house a few weeks ago and asking how I was going to fix some of the rust. I told her I’d found the rear corners on TheSamba for sale. She insisted on ordering them for me.
2 thumbs up!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 74 Reply with quote

That's a cool birthday gift. I think that car is going to end up beautiful again.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 74 Reply with quote

Looks like a fun project but my vote is to make things easier on yourself with the body…cut the back off and build a Baja Ghia!
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a 74 Reply with quote

SandHamwich wrote:
Looks like a fun project but my vote is to make things easier on yourself with the body…cut the back off and build a Baja Ghia!

You joke, but the thought crossed my mind. It wasn’t until I got it home and realized how original it was that I decided against it.
07 Boxster
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a 74 Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
That's a cool birthday gift. I think that car is going to end up beautiful again.

I hope so. I’m glad I decided to look for a clip instead of the patch panels. The rust goes past where the patch panels would cover.
07 Boxster
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 74 Reply with quote

Maybe the gift was forward planning on her part but on account of that You're gonna need to look after your Mom well into her old age. Very Happy
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 74 Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Maybe the gift was forward planning on her part but on account of that You're gonna need to look after your Mom well into her old age. Very Happy
Nicholas

That time is closer than you think. She’s almost 70. 😆
07 Boxster
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 74 Reply with quote

So I haven’t done much to the Ghia. Been working on my 66 Bug and the wife’s 67 Fasty. However, the woman who sold it to me sent me this last week. The woman next to the car is her mother in law, whose car it was at the time. This pic was taken in 1991. The car looks brand new at the time. It’s amazing what it sitting did to it. Anyway, it’s got me in the mood to work on it. Just need to get the wife’s Fasty done.

07 Boxster
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 74 Reply with quote

So I’ve been sitting on this car, trying to figure out what to do with it. It’s amazingly original which is cool. But it hasn’t been on the road in about 30 years. I have a 1641 that I built for another car I sold. The tin is even powder coated orange. Toyed with the idea of just throwing it in it and getting it driving just for fun. But I wanted to do something cool. So I was scrolling through Facebook marketplace place recently and came across a 1.8 liter 914 engine for sale. I’ve been listening to the Let’s Talk Dubs podcast for a while now, and Bill the host is a big proponent of type 4 upright conversions. The engine was cheap, so it hit me. But the Joe Cali book, buy the engine, and build something cool. So, I bough the engine, I bought Joe’s book, and I’m collecting parts for the build.

The same weekend I bought the engine, the woman who sold me the Ghia gave me a full, brand new carpet kit she’d found for it.

So, it’ll take me a while to gather the parts for it, and I’m seriously thinking of throwing the 1641 in it for now and building the engine in my spare time, but at least I have a direction for it now.

07 Boxster
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 74 Reply with quote

Started the Joe Cali build last night. Have some parts to buy. First order of business is an alternator stand.
07 Boxster
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 74 Reply with quote

Slowly collecting parts.

The Fastback my wife bought last year has really been getting in the way of my own projects, but I finally got the engine we built for it running. Just have to get it all buttoned up and I can get back to my 66 Bug and getting this Ghia on the road.

Alt stand I bought from the classifieds came today.
07 Boxster
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: