Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stop gas flow [RESOLVED]
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Stop gas flow [RESOLVED] Reply with quote

I pulled the motor from my bug and while I'm working on replacing the clutch, the gas line is dripping a constant flow of gas, despite the fact that I've turned the gas lever to the OFF position, clamped the line in two separate locations, and raised the line as high as it can go under the car.

Any suggestions on how to stop the gas flow? At this point, it'll empty the tank in the garage by morning. Brick wall

Last edited by RCJH77 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop gas flow Reply with quote

Stick a M6 bolt in the end of the hose and put a clamp on it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop gas flow Reply with quote

When you say "gas lever", does your car have the early style in cabin fuel reserve lever sticking through the firewall, or is yours something different?

If you have the early style, straight up (I believe) is full on, 90 degrees downward to the right is reserve, and half way between these 2 positions (45 degrees from vertical (full on)) is the off position. Make sure yours is in the 45 degree position or you'll never shut it off.

If the early style isn't what you've got then all this is irrelevant.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good luck

Ted

Last edited by fl59bug on Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop gas flow Reply with quote

Shove a golf tee into the line, or shave a pencil down and stuff it in.
If it's a non vented tank, seal over the fill neck with a plastic wrap and prevent air from getting in.

I drilled two holes thru a few inches of 1 1/2" dowel, then sawed it in half lengthwise. Couple of bolts and nuts later, put the two round sides against soft fuel line and bolt thru the flats. Tighten till it stops dripping.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop gas flow Reply with quote

If the rubber disk in the fuel tap is degraded, the tap will likely leak and not shut off.
You could simply drain the tank into a couple of gas cans...
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop gas flow Reply with quote

What kind of clamps are you using?
One clamp should be sufficient to stop all fuel flow.
These are cheap and work well:
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-fluid-line-clamp-set-65116.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop gas flow Reply with quote

Wooden golf tee. Or short piece of fuel line and wooden golf tee.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop gas flow Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
When you say "gas lever", does your car have the early style in cabin fuel reserve lever sticking through the firewall, or is yours something different?

If you have the early style, straight up (I believe) is full on, 90 degrees downward to the right is reserve, and half way between these 2 positions (45 degrees from vertical (full on)) is the off position. Make sure yours is in the 45 degree position or you'll never shut it off.

If the early style isn't what you've got then all this is irrelevant.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good luck

Ted

Well, I'm embarrassed to say that I did NOT, in fact, have it in the correct position. I had it in the Reserve position. Damnit. Thank you, sir!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: