Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trans tool # VW 381/15: 3d printed?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans tool # VW 381/15: 3d printed? Reply with quote

Ain’t nuttin’ like it !

Andy & old_man when it comes to tools you guys seem kinda NUTTY ! 🤣🤣

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans tool # VW 381/15: 3d printed? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Captain Pike wrote:
It's Junk. dude looking to make a $. Not even a Vw guy. Real pain in the ass to get your $ refunded.

IDK, he also offers a steel one for $95...The warranty headache on the manufacturers part can be a PITA ...even just dealing with the emails from the customer.

This "vendor" found my wifes email address and complained about having to stand behind his shit.
Then went on to further bitch about being ignored.....
Wife is dead........so there was that.
If you really want the tool check out weddle. I like home made better.

SELF RESCUE
No one is coming
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans tool # VW 381/15: 3d printed? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Ain’t nuttin’ like it !

Andy & old_man when it comes to tools you guys seem kinda NUTTY ! 🤣🤣

Well, I've come a long way since 2010. I never had a single specialty tool when I built my DK back in those days. I did have access to a Press and a two jaw puller...LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans tool # VW 381/15: 3d printed? Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Hey Old Man, I have one of those home made tools there in the background on the right (race nut tool). Did I buy one from you?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-The left is the home made plumbing one for the side adjusters.
-The centre upper is a nut some guy in Quebec was making selling here. Not mine.
-The right is a fried 4 gear which is the second half of the Quebec nut tool.

The only orginal VW tool I used is the pinon nut tool. Not sure how one would make that one easily. I stumbled upon a used one for $50 so problem solved. Paid for itself seeing as I've had to rebuild my transmission twice now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans tool # VW 381/15: 3d printed? Reply with quote

Old Man,

Yeah, I remember now ....... from Quebec was where I got mine.

Yeah, I used a trashed 4th gear with that tool as well.

And, seems I picked up my Pinion Nut tool for $50. I've loaned it out a few times...... shipped to people I'd never met. It always come home. Seems one dude from Wisconsin sent me a round of aged cheese on the return.

Heck, I love making tools. I made a simple tool for pushing out the pinion shaft/bearing from the case. I used a rear rotor from a Jetta and a steering wheel puller to make a pusher .... works great!
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans tool # VW 381/15: 3d printed? Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Old Man,

Yeah, I remember now ....... from Quebec was where I got mine.

Yeah, I used a trashed 4th gear with that tool as well.

And, seems I picked up my Pinion Nut tool for $50. I've loaned it out a few times...... shipped to people I'd never met. It always come home. Seems one dude from Wisconsin sent me a round of aged cheese on the return.

Heck, I love making tools. I made a simple tool for pushing out the pinion shaft/bearing from the case. I used a rear rotor from a Jetta and a steering wheel puller to make a pusher .... works great!

TRUE SELF RESCUE
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans tool # VW 381/15: 3d printed? Reply with quote

Here's a 381/15 substitute tool I got from Weddle (IIRC) for cheap.

I tried finding it again but either I'm misremembering that it was Weddle or they don't offer it anymore.
Used it to replace the O-rings.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Trans tool # VW 381/15: 3d printed? Reply with quote

If you want to print out a tool, instead of having a 1/2" square hole in the center make a 36mm hexagonal boss on it that you can turn with a 36mm socket.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Trans tool # VW 381/15: 3d printed? Reply with quote

I just purchased this one. Haven't tried it yet, but should be ok. https://www.ebay.com/itm/325501023544?chn=ps&n...6QQAvD_BwE
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Trans tool # VW 381/15: 3d printed? Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
I just purchased this one. Haven't tried it yet, but should be ok. https://www.ebay.com/itm/325501023544?chn=ps&n...6QQAvD_BwE

That's the one this Thread is about. Go back to the first Post and click on the posted link........ goes to the same eBay listing.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Trans tool # VW 381/15: 3d printed? Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
MuzzcoVW wrote:

That's the one this Thread is about. Go back to the first Post and click on the posted link........ goes to the same eBay listing.
I wasn't able to get the link to work, so i wasn't sure. I don't see why it wouldn't hold up. Mine is supposed to be delivered today. I'll give you an update on it once I have it.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Trans tool # VW 381/15: 3d printed? Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
AndyBees wrote:
MuzzcoVW wrote:

I wasn't able to get the link to work, so i wasn't sure. I don't see why it wouldn't hold up. Mine is supposed to be delivered today. I'll give you an update on it once I have it.

Sweet - thanks
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Trans tool # VW 381/15: 3d printed? Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
I don't see why it wouldn't hold up. Mine is supposed to be delivered today. I'll give you an update on it once I have it.

It all comes down to how strong that tool is vs how tight the adjusting ring is... YMMV.

(Can you put a beam torque wrench on it so we can see how much torque you had to use?)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: