Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2024
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Schuylersister wrote:
Great advice! Where do you stash the 2.5 gallon jug when you’re driving ?

Above in the luggage rack.
After ~60 miles, stop and pour it in the tank for safety, theft, and etc.

I'm dyin' to be there!
Can't get away though....

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
There is plenty of gas on the Pacific side until you get down to El Rosario.
Get a COMPLETE fill there before continuing south and you should be fine.
Myself I also fill a 2.5 gal plastic jug at that same stop though I know I am unlikely to need it.
The next gas station is Villa Jesus Maria, 200 miles.

I often rest stop at the big boulders near Catavina and pour my extra gas in since I don't like to carry the gas all the time.

I do the same heading back North.
Going North top-off completely in Villa Jesus Maria, fill my jug, pour it in when there is room in the tank.

If I will be turning off on any dirt routes then for sure I like to have the extra jug filled for peace of mind and pour it in only when I need it.

Mark

Last year, there was a new PEMEX station in Catavinia, thereby eliminating the "gas gap"
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

That is good to hear, hope it lasts, much needed.
I didn't see it open last Feb, did I miss it?
Used to be 2 there, then 1 intermittent, then none.

I recently heard that the Puertecitos station is closed for good.

Mark

Corwyn wrote:

Last year, there was a new PEMEX station in Catavinia, thereby eliminating the "gas gap"
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

The old PEMEX station at the Bahia de Los Angeles turn off is now a store and restaurant as well . . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

FWIW
Went up and down Baja a few times years ago. I had a spare 2 gallon but never needed it.
clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

We are on our way down the Oregon coast. We will be in Potrero on 2/3. Beautiful weather so far.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. --Yogi Berra
gtinseth Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:
There is plenty of gas on the Pacific side until you get down to El Rosario.
Get a COMPLETE fill there before continuing south and you should be fine.
Myself I also fill a 2.5 gal plastic jug at that same stop though I know I am unlikely to need it.
The next gas station is Villa Jesus Maria, 200 miles.

I often rest stop at the big boulders near Catavina and pour my extra gas in since I don't like to carry the gas all the time.

I do the same heading back North.
Going North top-off completely in Villa Jesus Maria, fill my jug, pour it in when there is room in the tank.

If I will be turning off on any dirt routes then for sure I like to have the extra jug filled for peace of mind and pour it in only when I need it.

Mark

We were there May 2022 and there was no open Pemex. Gas cans on the side of the road though. Same in Puertocito, there was a station, but it was closed.
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
In your situation I would use a three gallon plastic can and securely lash it to the front luggage rack. Cross the border with it empty and fill it at your first gas stop in Baja. It sounds like the peace of mind will be well worth it.

(And use it up before you cross back into the USA.)

Great advice! I did buy a 2.5 gallon jug today and it has the green push button so pretty sure it's easy to use, to vent and only fill up to 80% therefore 2 full gallons. My luggage rack has a solar panel in it so I'll stash in the cargo rack. I can lift two gallons up there.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

I'm curious, what kayak are you carrying on top of your van? Also, how long it is?

I've seen many folks going down to Baja with boards on top, you're the first one that I can remember carrying a kayak (I'd definitely do this if I ever go to Baja, lot more options todo stuff with a kayak).

Schuylersister wrote:

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
I'm curious, what kayak are you carrying on top of your van? Also, how long it is?

I've seen many folks going down to Baja with boards on top, you're the first one that I can remember carrying a kayak (I'd definitely do this if I ever go to Baja, lot more options todo stuff with a kayak).

Schuylersister wrote:

The kayak is an Eddyine Rio. Sorta of a rec. boat but semi-sea kayak too. It's 12' long. I am small and the boat fits me perfectly. It is also light, 32#s and easy to load with the Malone saddles and stinger arrangement. Thank you for the complement!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

I crossed over to Mexico this time last week. I am now down in La Paz for the Escapara La Baja

Definitely check out Camp Archelon. No hookups, but an awesome campground - it's worth going out of the way to checkout.

Gas stations - most take credit card, but some don't. Refuel if you're close to half a tank.

It has been a blast! Hope to see some fellow Vanagons!
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I crossed over to Mexico this time last week. I am now down in La Paz for the Escapara La Baja

Definitely check out Camp Archelon. No hookups, but an awesome campground - it's worth going out of the way to checkout.

Gas stations - most take credit card, but some don't. Refuel if you're close to half a tank.

I LOVE Playa Tecolote. Never been there with a big crowd though it does sound like fun. Thanks for the information. How was the wind in BOLA?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

I was there for like 3 days and only one day it was bad. I think upwards of 20mph gusts.

That being said, make sure your doors and windows are closed. I got a nice amount of dust in my van after that day.

The sunrises at BOLA were absolutely incredible.

I heard there is an insane amount of people at the event. Hoping to find the cool VW guys to camp with!
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Due to things that have come up, I'm not going to make it to Potreo on the 3rd and 4th. I held onto the reservation I made for Site #3 and it's too late to cancel.
After talking to the park my options are to cancel with no refund, reschedule for another time, or hand this off to someone making a last minute decision to attend.
I'm wondering if there are any others who might be planning to go down to Baja in February or March that might want to form a second Baja group meet up?
If you've made a snap decision to get down there on the 3rd or 4th, let me know and I'll be happy to transfer the reservation to you.(for free, or perhaps a couple of cold beers when we cross paths)

Last edited by mtnhome on Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Schuylersister wrote:
pnwkayaker wrote:

Schuylersister wrote:

The kayak is an Eddyine Rio. Sorta of a rec. boat but semi-sea kayak too. It's 12' long. I am small and the boat fits me perfectly. It is also light, 32#s and easy to load with the Malone saddles and stinger arrangement. Thank you for the complement!

I've been thinking about having a kayak for a Baja trip but have been looking at some of the inflateable versions like the Advanced Elements. I like the idea of being able to stash it in the luggage rack instead of having it up on the roof all the time. What do the kayak gurus on here think?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

Ah, happy thought. Love that place.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

Brandon- I'm just posting that it's great to see you not just chasing but catching your dream/goal here. Way to go!!
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

mtnhome wrote:

I've been thinking about having a kayak for a Baja trip but have been looking at some of the inflateable versions like the Advanced Elements. I like the idea of being able to stash it in the luggage rack instead of having it up on the roof all the time. What do the kayak gurus on here think?
We have an Intex Excursion Pro 2 : https://www.amazon.com/Intex-68309EP-Excursion-Pro-Kayak/dp/B07F88P35C

Very happy with it! This was the first attempt at fitting it on the back rack - later I extended the shelf 'bumpers' so the shelf was at 90 degrees to the top part of the ladder.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:

Brandon- I'm just posting that it's great to see you not just chasing but catching your dream/goal here. Way to go!!

Thanks Mike! It has been awesome. I plan to post a Samba thread - but I haven't had much time. I left on 1/18 from VA and crossed over to Mexico on 1/24.

Also while working 40 hours a week (Minus 3 PTO days).

450aH of LiFePo4 + Starlink.

it is getting HOT in the southern peninsula. Highs of 80s. I am not sure how long we can stand that while working.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Schuylersister wrote:
pnwkayaker wrote:

Schuylersister wrote:

We have 2 Eddyline Kayaks, a Raven and a Sea Star, they are 16'-9" and 17'9" We bought them for our first Vanagon trip to Baja in 1992. They have been along on all of our 20+ trips to Baja. 'Love them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 38

Jump to: