Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trans rebuild kits
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject: Trans rebuild kits Reply with quote

Last night I was cut off, and missed my shift and blew out second gear, I’ve been searching all day for a rebuild kit to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can get one? I have a 1969 westfalia with the original trans, probably has well over 300,000 miles on it, so a rebuild would be a good idea anyway. I’ve never built a trans before, so after 30+ years of building engines and all other VW issues I’ve battled, I want to give it a shot. Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank you,
Bjorn.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans rebuild kits Reply with quote

Welcome.

Have a look here. You might consider having this moved to the performance/engines/transmission forum

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=770207&highlight=trevor

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans rebuild kits Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Welcome.

Have a look here. You might consider having this moved to the performance/engines/transmission forum

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=770207&highlight=trevor

Agreed... moved.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans rebuild kits Reply with quote

rebuilding transmissions is not as easy as it seems for the skilled mechanic. That said, the investment in tools is more than the cost of a rebuilt transmission. Weddle transmission sells the parts.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans rebuild kits Reply with quote

The best transmission builder if you are in Tucson is Eric at Transworks in El Cajon, San Diego CO CA.
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans rebuild kits Reply with quote

Not to sidetrack the thread, but what if you just want to "freshen-up" tranny with new external gaskets, seals, and bushings while you have the engine out?

I don't want to tear into the tranny since it was performing satisfactorily when I pulled the engine, but I have no idea how old the gaskets and etc. are.

I already plan to install new mounts, so will essentially (if not totally) be removing the tranny prior to engine installation. Also plan to install a new TO bearing.

I appreciate any suggestions on things to do "while I am in there anyway". Rolling Eyes

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans rebuild kits Reply with quote

texastomeh wrote:
Not to sidetrack the thread, but what if you just want to "freshen-up" tranny with new external gaskets, seals, and bushings while you have the engine out?

I don't want to tear into the tranny since it was performing satisfactorily when I pulled the engine, but I have no idea how old the gaskets and etc. are.

I already plan to install new mounts, so will essentially (if not totally) be removing the tranny prior to engine installation. Also plan to install a new TO bearing.

I appreciate any suggestions on things to do "while I am in there anyway". Rolling Eyes

Tom

I did this when I bought my Bay Window, in hopes of prolonging the life of the transmission. Weddle had all the gaskets I needed in a kit for the 002 transmission, then I bought input and output seals, nose cone bushings and seal, upgraded hockey stick and steel shift ball, and a mainshaft bearing plate all from Weddle as well. I think it cost me about $100 to do all that, fixing any potential leaks and all common failure points on the 002 transmission.

A similar thing could be done on any VW transmission, although keep in mind there's only so much you can do without investing in tools and jigs.
-Check nose cone/hockey stick bushings and seal; When worn these cause sloppy shifting.
- Replace input and final drive shaft seals
- Replace side cover O-ring/Gaskets
- Replace nose cone gasket
- Flush and refill fluid

Just be careful to not go too deep. If you go much farther than that, you can easily screw up adjustments within the transmission, leaving you in a worse position than before.

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Trans rebuild kits Reply with quote

If you're resourceful and able to make/ improvise tools, you can probably get through it. You'll need a dead trans case to cut up for a shift fork jig, and a special socket for the pinion nut (not sure what that bus trans uses), and the full range of micrometers, calipers, dial indicators.
You'll probably need some new/ used parts, and that's where things get tricky, because some things are a direct substitution, and some require other changes to make everything work. If this makes you uneasy send it out, but if you feel confident I say go for it. I've done 6 basically stock rebuilds, with zero factory tools, and none have spit parts back yet.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Trans rebuild kits Reply with quote

Be ready for some fun...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=758907&highlight=dummy

What’s That Noise?!?
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Trans rebuild kits Reply with quote

these guys have it almost for sure... https://www.transtar1.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: