Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

I'll admit, when I first started reading the description of the seat covers and saw the first pic of them laying there, I was skeptical.

But they really did turn out quite nicely! I like how the lighter piping pulls from the tan in the plaid, and the black pulls from the stripes in the plaid.

Looks great!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Looks great! I know by now you have replaced that hose clamp on the reservoir bottle with a real one, then I can Kermit-GIF too…..
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Dude this all looks awesome! That headliner especially looks killer. It's all pulling together really nicely.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Nice, very nice!

Since you mentioned "Porsche like" you may now have to add a turbo into the mix so it not only looks Porsche like, but accelerates like one too....... Very Happy

Laughing I'm not going to say that I haven't been kicking around the idea of upgrading the EJ25 to an EZ30 or EZ36R. Get a little bit of power, and it makes you want more. But then I get a reality check, as realistically it doesn't need any more power, and the current combo is really really good. Takes away the motivation to turn it back into a project again. Need to get back to my turbo Beetle build. Thanks for props!

crownline wrote:
By far The Most Beautiful Bus on the Samba. Absolutely love it. Shocked

I don't know about all that. There are some far nicer Buses out there than mine. But I appreciate the kind words non the less! Its been really fun to build this thing out fully from an idea to what it is now. Now I just need to tackle the AC Twisted Evil

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
how many times did you want to throw the arm rests across the yard? they suck to get the covers on

looks great! i need to get back in line with them for the vanagon. they did the covers for that and did a great job

LOL.. I actually didn't have too much trouble with them. But I did go in expecting the worse based on what I read. With the silk wrap stuff you get from Sewfine, mine slid on relatively easily. Maybe I got lucky??

And thanks... I'm really happy with how the interior worked out. Was really sweating it out for a while LOL

metz wrote:
Looks great man!

I've also been dreading the plywood headliner, but I really need to get it done soon and this is the inspiration than I need Smile What thickness is the plywood and did you fasten them with anything other than the trim strip? Also, for the two rear pieces – is the width constant all the way?

I think its 1/8" (I'll have to confirm at home), and no, nothing beyond the trim strip holding them in.

The only panel thats close to constant width is the middle one, and even its not a true rectangle panel. The front and rear panels get narrow towards the front/back end of the Bus.

The best way I found out to measure and get the width, is to go ahead and cut a strip of the panel about 1.5-2" wide and like 53-54" long. Then you can use that as a tool to determine what widths you need where. Stick it in the channel on one side, push it up against the roof support across the roof to get the shape, and then mark the other end at the opposite channel. Then you can take it out, lay it out flat and get a measurement, and transfer that to the panel your cutting. It will still likely take some trial and error, but this should get you decently close.

vwwestyman wrote:
I'll admit, when I first started reading the description of the seat covers and saw the first pic of them laying there, I was skeptical.

But they really did turn out quite nicely! I like how the lighter piping pulls from the tan in the plaid, and the black pulls from the stripes in the plaid.

Looks great!

Haha.. same. When we were picking it all out, I could kind of see it in my head, but I relied a lot on the input from my wife and Carol at Sewfine about pulling it all together. Picking out the color pallet is not really my forte. Like you said, I knew that each part of the seat would pull its color out of the plaid section, but just wasn't sure how it was going to come together exactly. I was just really concerned that the contrast piping was just going to be really loud against the black. And its definitely bold looking, but I think it all meshes well. It really looks even better in person than in pics to me. Not sure as to why, but you get a little different look in person.

I realize that its certainly not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but all in all, I think it came together well, and I have no regrets on the choices.

Abscate wrote:
Looks great! I know by now you have replaced that hose clamp on the reservoir bottle with a real one, then I can Kermit-GIF too…..

Laughing Maybe I'll just have to go ahead get that swapped out for you Laughing

mikewire wrote:
Dude this all looks awesome! That headliner especially looks killer. It's all pulling together really nicely.

Thanks Mike! I already had black and brown tones in the Bus with the panels and steering wheel. I knew the headliner would pull nicely against the steering wheel rim, and the upholstery does good bringing it all together. Ultimately it all came together as well (or even better) than I had hoped it would.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Just another upholstery update. Used the long weekend to finish out the rear seats. Calling this project mostly complete at this point.

Backing up a second from my previous post, I had mentioned that I had recovered the front arm rests, but they weren't yet installed when I took pics. Here are the arm rests full completed and the first set reinstalled onto the drivers bucket. I had read that recovering these was tough, but must have gotten lucky, as the new covers slid on pretty easily when I used some of the silk wrap I got with the Sewfine order. (PS, you'll also notice that the base of the passenger front bucket is missing in these pics. I did have a small self inflicted issue with the seat base cover on that seat when I first installed it where I pulled part of the seam, so its on a quick trip out to Sewfine and back for a repair Embarassed

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Before moving on to recovering the rear seats, I completely broke down the frames and did a bunch of clean up on them. I ended up swapping out the rear bench seat frame completely with another one I had that was in much better condition. Beyond that, the remaining frames had some surface rust here and there, so did a lot of wire wheeling and brushing to clean them up, and then treated them with a phosphoric acid to convert any remaining rust before repainting. Certainly not a concourse sand blast and powder coat refinish, but they cleaned up nicely and should provide many years of service. And much nicer on the budget.

Here are all the rear frames stripped and sprayed down with ospho. Its amazing how much better they looked after that.

And a few pictures post rattle can. Nothing special. Just Rustoleum semi-gloss black.

Recovering the rear seats themselves went pretty easy. The full rear bench was the easiest since the seat base and back rest are completely separate. The middle bench however is a bit of a booger to work with. I ended up using zip ties to pull down and compress the seat base springs down to allow room between the top of the base and bottom of back rest so that I could work the upholstery and foam in. I recovered the back rest first, and then did the base. Once the base was done, I clipped out the zip ties and let the springs back free. On both of the rear seats I did a little trimming on the Sewfine foam/padding near the back corners. This just seemed to make everything fit up better. I think some experience here goes a long way, as I fought with them some, and then eventually got confident that trimming was the right move. All in all I'm pretty happy with the results. Certainly not perfect, but really good I think for pre-made seat covers and a complete newbie installing them. I learned a ton from the process, and I'm sure I could do it even better (or at least more easily) next time.

Here are a few pics of the rest of the process...

Rear bench finished up with the Werksberg ABS kick panel back in

And finally some completed rear pics with the middle bench (didn't get any real pictures recovering the middle bench, as I was on a time crunch and was just jamming through the process)

Overall I'm very happy with the end result. My experience with Sewfine (the people and their products) was all very positive, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone else looking for upholstery. Short of having something completely custom made and sewn/installed to your actual seats by an upholsterer, I don't think your going to get much better.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Mate, your bus keeps on getting better!

Those new seats / covers look superb, imo they suit the body colour really well Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
Mate, your bus keeps on getting better!

Those new seats / covers look superb, imo they suit the body colour really well Very Happy

Thanks! I agree, the whole interior color pallet really blends well with the Bus. Gives it a nice unique, sort of classy retro vibe.

Been a lot of work getting to this point, but really thrilled with how the Bus has come together over the years.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Just another quick photo dump of the completed interior. Got my repaired front passenger bottom cover back from Sewfine, and got it installed with everything else. Extremely happy with the end result.

67 Beetle (TBD)

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

now just order this:

https://www.serial-kombi.com/en-GB/bay-window-west...69-n325108

i like spending other peoples money Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

now just order this:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yea, still need to do something back there. I actually still have some birch that I plan to make a trim/cover piece with, just haven't started looking at it yet.

Knowing me, it'll probably ride around just like it is now for a long time Rolling Eyes Embarassed Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Also, anyone have any good tips on how to remove the old headliner adhesive residue WITHOUT screwing up the paint under it?

This seems like it might be a big PITA, but sure would like to get that cleaned up. Probably should have just stripped and repainted all that before all the interior went in. Rolling Eyes

67 Beetle (TBD)

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Also, anyone have any good tips on how to remove the old headliner adhesive residue WITHOUT screwing up the paint under it?

good luck

i've tried everything in my arsenal with limited success. best i have found is 120 grit on a d/a which obviously you don't want to do

3M bug and tar remover somewhat works... it's basically the same "pre clean" you'd use before paint. but you need to let it soak

problem is it's dried and hard as hell. if you have patients of a saint, a nice sharp razor will scrape the heavies off. the other thing that works and is miserable is a heat gun and a plastic razor

the trick is to get the glue almost liquid with the heat and then scrape it with the plastic blade, but you have to be careful not to get the paint so hot it scrapes off too.

lacquer thinner etc will wipe the paint off and leave the glue. been there, done that

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:

Yea, still need to do something back there. I actually still have some birch that I plan to make a trim/cover piece with, just haven't started looking at it yet.

Knowing me, it'll probably ride around just like it is now for a long time Rolling Eyes Embarassed Laughing

I built mine similar to this one. I covered more of the hinge due to me not doing a full westy style interior. His interior build is awesome !!

Page for ref: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=160
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
now just order this:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I made myself a jig and bent up a piece of birch to re-create the curved edge version in the link above. Turned out great. I know we're not geographically desirable but I'd be happy to help if you want one.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:

good luck [snip]

Yea, that's what I was afraid of. It seems pretty resilient to everything I've tried thus far. I'll give some of your suggestions a try, and see if I can make and more headway. That stuff sure does seem stuck on.

panel wrote:
I built mine similar to this one. I covered more of the hinge due to me not doing a full westy style interior. His interior build is awesome !!

Page for ref: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=160

BYeaton wrote:
I made myself a jig and bent up a piece of birch to re-create the curved edge version in the link above. Turned out great. I know we're not geographically desirable but I'd be happy to help if you want one.

Panel thanks for the link, and BYeaton thanks for the offer on making something up! I was thinking it would be pretty easy to bend up a piece of the birch to make a cover peice, so long as I made some sort of supports or something to bend across and help attach it all. I've got a few ideas in my head, and I'm sure I can come up with something, just need to get out there and start messing with it.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Time for another long over due update... Interestingly, I'm a 1 year to date since my LAST long over due update Laughing Laughing Laughing

Before

After

Are you still liking your new steering wheel? My wife and kids want an idea for a Christmas gift that I'll use in the Bus and I was thinking about a steering wheel wrap or possibly a new steering wheel like yours.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Are you still liking your new steering wheel? My wife and kids want an idea for a Christmas gift that I'll use in the Bus and I was thinking about a steering wheel wrap or possibly a new steering wheel like yours.

YES! I'm still really enjoying the steering wheel, and happy I purchased it. The quality is very nice, and it really sets off the interior of the Bus. So much better than my old crusty/cracked OG wheel.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Shonandb wrote:

YES! I'm still really enjoying the steering wheel, and happy I purchased it. The quality is very nice, and it really sets off the interior of the Bus. So much better than my old crusty/cracked OG wheel.

Good to hear! I think I know what my Christmas present will be this year.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Another long over-due update.

As per usual, still putting miles on the Bus, and making "improvements" here and there. Mostly small things that don't really deserve much mention or documentation, but the latest "big" project has been revising my suspension setup. Before I get to that, here is one recent picture of a "winter" cruise my boy and I did one afternoon. We've had a mild winter, and its made for some awesome driving weather.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread, you'll see that I originally installed a full Wagenswest slam-bay special, which consists of a 4" narrowed beam, 2.5" dropped spindles, and 3.25" drop plates for the rear. I've always been more or less happy with the suspension overall, EXCEPT for how far the front wheels tucked in. The 4" narrowed beam is sort of the "go to" solution, but for my bus which was only mildly lowered, bigger 17" wheels with good offset, and no plans to tub, it was in my opinion excessively narrow. Now this is primarily just an aesthetic thing, although I expect there is/was some impact on handling/stability as well, and some people actually like the look. I however, was not a huge fan, and just lived with it for a long while. Fast forward to 2020 when I went to the Porsche front brakes and Razor Twist wheels, the 17x7 front twist design exaggerated that tucked look even more. To compensate some, I added some spacers up front to help with the aesthetics (which made it look a little better, but still not great), but then that resulted in an undesired consequence of the wheel arc being larger when turning, and consequently causing the tire to rub the lower seat stand bump out in the wheel well. Again, I lived with it, but it progressively wore on my nerves.

Fast forward to now, and I decided I'd had enough, and I was going to do something about it. Started with some measuring of the current setup using a straight edge against the wheels, and seeing where that put me with respect to the inner dog leg structure and fender lip. I expected that I couldn't go all the way back to full width on the beam due to the spindles and brake setup, but I was surprised to find out that the front wheel could move all the way out 2" back to stock width, and still look to reasonably fit well.

So that's where it started. I still had my stock beam I removed back in 2017, so out of the corer it came to be dusted off and de-greased and put back into service. Ordered up some adjusters from CSP, and proceeded to cut off the center pin mount and prep the beam for adjuster installation. I expected this to be a lot of work (and it was), but it wasn't terribly difficult overall. Over the course of a few weekend days I had the beam fully modified, repainted (but didn't get pics), and ready to install.

CSP Adjusters

Center pin housing removed

Dimples drilled, torsion centers freed up, and adjuster plates ready to weld on

Fully welded adjusters

Center pin housing welded back on

Beam modifications complete

Not shown, installed a new Febi center pin and bushing kit, and fully stripped and repainted the beam.

Got the beam reinstalled last weekend, and have been re-assembling everything since. I was able to get to the point where I could throw the Twists back on and check out the fitment, and I'm SUPER happy with the end result. These pics are with the suspension fully loaded. I now have the OG bump stop and perch back (which is nice to have), and can fine tune the bump stop heights themselves as I can have a bit more compression of the front suspension available before the wheel touches the wheel well. Full lock to lock turning is now possible again without the tire touching anything. Overall this should be a big improvement.

As you can see, if you go back up and look at the first picture of this post compared to the last, there is a big change. Aesthetically is looks soooooo much better IMO, and I expect some improvement in handling and stability. I'll be installing a full width 7/8 sway bar to compliment the full width beam.

Still have to get all the stuff that runs in between the beam tubes reinstalled (shift rod, steering components, clutch cable, speedo cable, etc), but I'm whittling down that list a little bit each night. Hoping for a nice rewarding cruise when the weather turns nice again this weekend. Fingers crossed.

All for now, I'll post up some more finished pics once its on the ground back on all fours.

Adam

67 Beetle (TBD)

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Looks pretty sweet to me. I prefer the look with the tire and rim right at/under the fender lip (bulldog stance) with the original beam versus tucked in (1/4 miler look) with the narrowed beam. Very nice!
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: