Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you use panel bond?
Yes
78%
 78%  [ 11 ]
No
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 14

mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

I have some panel repairs on the side of my bus where the ex-BMW technician used a joggler and then used a panel adhesive.

They hold together well, but the adhesive is slightly more flexible than a weld, so instead of simple bondo, you have to use glass fibre reinforced resin to cross the joint as a filler, as bondo cracks over the join..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
I used that panel adhesive without the gun. I put sockets in the back end that were equal in height & then just pushed on the sockets at the same time. No problem. Unless you use that adhesive often, there is no reason for the gun.

with the static mixing tip? or just onto a plate to be blended manual?
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
I used that panel adhesive without the gun. I put sockets in the back end that were equal in height & then just pushed on the sockets at the same time. No problem. Unless you use that adhesive often, there is no reason for the gun.

I stirred it on a plate with the adhesive being dispensed thru the mixing tips so the ratio of resin to hardener was correct. Even if you use the gun, stirring it manually on a plate would give you a consistent color throughout. I did not feel that the mixing tips were good enough by themselves.
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
alman72 wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:

I stirred it on a plate with the adhesive being dispensed thru the mixing tips so the ratio of resin to hardener was correct. Even if you use the gun, stirring it manually on a plate would give you a consistent color throughout. I did not feel that the mixing tips were good enough by themselves.

According to 3m the mixing tip is good enough for proper adhesion
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:

Okay now this is stupid, sorry. If you're going to use the product, use it the right way. A gun is like $50 on Amazon.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

Okay now this is stupid....

the whole thread is stupid, especially a video showing the 'repair'

with a repair like Webwalker did... a flange and drop a battery on it, i may consider IF you didn't want to get into paintwork in the rear corner.

but, if you have a set of balls between your legs you'll do a proper repair.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

yea, it's a total pain in the ass but when you have an original paint bus it's the way to do it. when it was done it was sand blasted on both sides before paint.

gluing a fucking crash bar/frame support is the dumbest thing I have seen in a while

may as well have used deck screws and caulk

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:

Okay now this is stupid, sorry. If you're going to use the product, use it the right way. A gun is like $50 on Amazon.

No, the gun is not necessary as I just explained. The gun cost more than the adhesive & I used it once. Boy, I'd like to have you as a customer. When you bought a car, did you get the extended warranty for another $5000? Do you have CarShield?
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

Why did you even ask, particularly Skillz, if you weren’t going to consider his advice? Just look at the video thumbnail in the first post. Look where that panel is. The metal at the front of the bus is all the protection you have. Just because some douche on YouTube thinks taking the Tide Pod Challenge is a great idea, doesn’t mean that it is.
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Why did you even ask, particularly Skillz, if you weren’t going to consider his advice? Just look at the video thumbnail in the first post. Look where that panel is. The metal at the front of the bus is all the protection you have. Just because some douche on YouTube thinks taking the Tide Pod Challenge is a great idea, doesn’t mean that it is.

Trust me that panel is not doing any protecting in a crash. It also doesn't offer any reinforcement to the deformation panel. It's there for the front floor to be welded to. I always consider Skillz advice. That said, its fun to see him worked up all the time
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:

No, the gun is not necessary as I just explained. The gun cost more than the adhesive & I used it once. Boy, I'd like to have you as a customer. When you bought a car, did you get the extended warranty for another $5000? Do you have CarShield?

You didn't use the gun, and you didn't use the mixing tip. Do you not trust 3M? Were you positive that you dispensed exactly the right amount of hardener and adhesive. How about mixing air into the product. There is a proper way to do things and an improper way. If you want to use the cool materials, you have to pay the price of getting the tools to do it, that's just my opinion though. I don't see how CarShield or an extended warranty has anything to do with properly using a panel bonding adhesive.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

To answer your first question, yes I did use the mixing tip. See one of my previous postings. For your second question, no, I do not trust 3M or anyone else who sells me a $40 cartridge & then tells me I have to buy a $50 gun to use it. Its not rocket science. If you use this stuff a lot, fine, buy the gun! Get off my case because I was smart enough to find a way around the con job! Sorry if you lost out on your $5 commission. Laughing Laughing Laughing
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

Lol Skilz is killer. I get it. I don't cut corners on any of my finish carpentry or upholstery work and have a solid reputation because of it. Is this a safety issue? Maybe. How many buses are driving around with a rusty factory spot welded seam on the bottom that you really can't get into. They get cleaned up to the seam as best we can and painted. As for the actual install maybe a combination would be best. What are you going to pinch the joint tight with upon glue up? Screws, rivets, clikos, or spot welds? Clamps aren't going to get it. You really want to goop up a bunch of clikos? I put a spare tire carrier in the side of my vanagon. The steel box is glued in with spot welds to back it up. I pre drilled spot holes every 6 inches or so. Kind of a pain to clean glue from spot weld holes before zapping them. If I were to do it again I'm thinking screws to suck it tight, let glue cure then a countersink to open up the screw hole a bit a spot weld it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

pandamanda22 wrote:
That said, its fun to see him worked up all the time

i'm not worked up at all. i just think it's a bullshit repair.

i'm just at a point in my life where when people ask for my advice, i give it then get the "yea, but..."

so i end my advice with do what you want, you're going to anyway....so why even ask.

furthermore I could have welded that panel in faster than it took the panel bond to dry and moved on with my life.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

First step preparation

Put a smear of each part on your two hands.

Press them together, hold 24 hours

Now use Siri to call someone with a welder so you can watch a repair being done
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
First step preparation

I'm gonna give this technique a shot on my next panel!
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
First step preparation

Or…use some of the money you were going to spend on panel bond to buy beer for a friend that welds. Keep the rest. Or, pay him a whole fitty dollars. Throw in the beer as an extra, Thanks man. Call him again when you need more welding.

I do understand “than“ fixes for keeping a bus on the road. What I don’t get is why, after all that work to fit up that panel, you wouldn’t do the little extra to get it welded in properly. It’s a quick and simple welding job; seam welds where the sides join the A pillars, plug welds where it overlaps the deformation panel. Done.
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

Quote:
Or…use some of the money you were going to spend on panel bond to buy beer for a friend that welds. Keep the rest. Or, pay him a whole fitty dollars. Throw in the beer as an extra, Thanks man. Call him again when you need more welding.

I do understand “than“ fixes for keeping a bus on the road. What I don’t get is why, after all that work to fit up that panel, you wouldn’t do the little extra to get it welded in properly. It’s a quick and simple welding job; seam welds where the sides join the A pillars, plug welds where it overlaps the deformation panel. Done.

I can easily have welded it, I just wanted to try panel bond. Thankfully I'm working on my bus and not yours Very Happy
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

I've done it again...

Link

mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

Nice work. I'd weld it if I were doing it, but you do you!

Need to catch up on your videos, you've been busy.

For now, I'm just here for the comments Popcorn

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: