Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Compartment measurement? Lid won't fit.
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Engine Compartment measurement? Lid won't fit. Reply with quote

Samba Family,
I have a 71 Ghia that I have to fix the back. It was hit. I lower the truck and the lid won't fit. The lid measures 38 1/4 inches. The opening is measuring 37 3/4.

When I look at the car's sides they are not bent in. I have cut the two pieces from the engine compartment that tie to the two tail lights together and it did not spring back. Rolling Eyes

Any ideas? What size should it be? Could you measure your car and let me know? Could the engine lid expand out with with the flattening from the impact? Could the sides have been bent in with the impact?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See photos.

Thanks.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Compartment measurement? Lid won't fit. Reply with quote

Gimmie a minute.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Compartment measurement? Lid won't fit. Reply with quote

Duper wrote:
What size should it be?

The width of the opening on my '67 is 38 3/4", measured right about where you did in your photo.

Edit: That measurement is from outside-to-outside of the weatherstrip groove.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)

Last edited by rcooled on Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Compartment measurement? Lid won't fit. Reply with quote

Just took some quick measurements on my '70.
'71 Dimensions are the same.

For the decklid i measure:
39 3/4" Width across the center of the vents.
39" at the start of the bend.
38 at the bottom of the bend just before it starts to curve inward.

For the opening I measure:
37 1/2" across below the center of the vents.
37" at the start of the bend.
36 1/2" at the bottom.

Measurements guaranteed by my Stanley 25' tape measure.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Compartment measurement? Lid won't fit. Reply with quote

Hi,

You say your car was hit before. Get on the ground and look up at the wheel housing (inner/outer), on both sides of the car. Are there any kinks to it ? Any bend there *may* pull your fender one way or another, without things looking too unnatural, since the fender is welded to the wheel housing.

Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Compartment measurement? Lid won't fit. Reply with quote

What have you found?
Don’t leave us hanging.

Duper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Compartment measurement? Lid won't fit. Reply with quote

It is comforting knowing that you guys are willing to help. Thanks for taking the time to measure your cars and give advice.
I did what you suggested and the wheel housing was bent in towards the wheel on the drivers side about 3/4 of an inch. Because the piece that the bumper bracket mounts to was bent as well. I replaced it and was able to bend the wheel housing back to the original shape.

The drivers side kind of fits and it made a sound when I forced the new lower plate temporarily in place (pictured). The passenger side does not seem to move. It is more rigid and bends less because it has all the original pieces welded in. Take a look at the pictures. Any other suggestions would be great as I do not know what my next move is.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Compartment measurement? Lid won't fit. Reply with quote

I didn't fool around measuring stuff, the cars hand built I stuck with that. Close the lid and move the sides till they fit right and has gaps that look good and straight, then weld it together. Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: