Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

That's a nice car.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:
As the EMPI VW engine cart failed BIG TIME
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As is many times the case with items labelled "EMPI", prepare for the effects related to that acronym -- "Expect Major Problems Immediately"... Sad

You might consider saving further time and aggravation by building your own engine trolley. Purchase a set of heavy duty castors from Harbor Freight or similar source, and then build the trolley frame to suit out of 2x4's or other scrap lumber.

You'll want to use castors and/or a lumber stack up high enough to where your jack will fit underneath when engine is sitting on it. I also recommend spacing the side pieces wide enough where the heater box's lower flanges will sit more or less in the middle of each side piece.

Here are some pics of one I built a couple years ago:

I don't really have any good shots of front of it at the moment, but it's basically just another 2x4 laid across the side pieces, far enough forward to clear the heater box flanges. And then another 2x4 length is installed vertically across the front of all that, to help stiffen and reinforce. Whole assembly is basically held together with screws. Has worked out great so far! Smile

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...

Last edited by baldessariclan on Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

A pared down, old grocery cart works well too. Twisted Evil

Harbor freight also sells furniture dollies, or even wheel dollies to roll your car around on, that can be used for the engine.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
Semper Gumby wrote:
As the EMPI VW engine cart failed BIG TIME

As is many times the case with items labelled "EMPI", prepare for the effects related to that acronym -- "Expect Major Problems Immediately"... Sad

I went field expedient and used one of my wife's Harbour Freight "Does this look better here or there?" moving carts.

And I got stung by a dead wasp pulling a nest or two from the engine tin.

baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Harbor freight also sells furniture dollies, or even wheel dollies to roll your car around on, that can be used for the engine.

Yeah, I had considered using one of their furniture dollies for my engine as well. But the castors on those looked just a little too small/dubious for my tastes (and rough garage floor) at the time. The set of 4 bigger castors I bought was cheaper than the furniture dolly, and I already had the scrap lumber and screws handy, so that's the route I chose.

Lots of different options should work fine for the job -- just not the dedicated EMPI engine trolley... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by baldessariclan on Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

So far, it is lasting longer than the EMPI cart

Wife's not going to be happy with the oil stains Razz
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

The harbor freight carts work great. I have them holding up pallets of parts. I have engines sitting on them for years.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

If only this dirt and sand could talk, wonder what it would say

Wiring harness has seen better days - and given most of the snaps were bent - PO must have monkeyed with this portion of the harness as I'm finding patch work everywhere

Now I can see why I had no license plate light - no ground?

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:
Busstom wrote:

Yeah, there are a couple of inherent flaws with that design, as delivered: first is, the size of the angle iron flanges prevents the engine case from settling down onto the steps on the inside of the cart while the "sled" tin is screwed tightly up against the case. So at a minimum, you need to remove the screws holding the tins to the bottom of the engine case and let them flex up and out of the way of the angle iron on the engine cart.

And, here I thought Gunner did it i.e., broke the damn cart. On my last removal (1965 Bug), I didn't recall removing the tins. I just check the Bug Me video and Rich didn't either. I gather a lesson learned here for the next one

Until I get the engine on the stand - the cart will have to last AS I can't see myself removing the tins with just "I" here.

In short, I trust the engine is fine (for now)

Is Gunner the dog?

Total aside. My best friend and neighbour had a Labrador named Gunner that I used to play with as a child. Beautiful name and beautiful dog. My friend’s father was a tail gunner on Lancaster bombers in WW2. Hence the name. Haven’t heard that name in 50 years!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:
If only this dirt and sand could talk, wonder what it would say

It would say "Get me outta here!" Laughing

Popcorn
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Is Gunner the dog?

Gunner and Cleo are Chesapeake Bay Retrievers - they are similar to Labs but have a thicker, wavy coat of hair. By heritage, they are cold weather water / gun dogs. That said, in Florida - alligators make that feat a bit more tricky.

Here they are enjoying Hurricane Ian Shocked

Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Now that is going to take a little effort to get back straight

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:
As the EMPI VW engine cart failed BIG TIME -

Surprised... why?

Please avoid anything sold by EMPI.

You've been warned.

Seriously, it's hard to avoid but there other other manufacturers.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

You've been warned.

I won’t make that mistake again.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:
Glenn wrote:

You've been warned.

I won’t make that mistake again.

I am not a huge fan of Empi either but some of their stuff is pretty decent. Like their axle boots, intake boots, intake/exhaust gaskets, etc. All companies have something they make that is inferior. But yes Empi has quite a few that blow.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

I'll second the HF furniture dollies, I have 'em all over the place, large and small ones, even one with a full-up engine, been rolling around for three years, out of the rain, back to the sun, out of the rain again, back to the sun Smile You can even pair them up at the ends of 2-bys and make long rolling lumber carts, I have...they're surprisingly quite tough.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:
Now that is going to take a little effort to get back straight

Less effort than you might think -- thin-walled beams with "open" cross-sections (e.g. angles or "L's", "C" channels, "I" beams, etc.) are notoriously flexible and weak when loaded in torsion. E.g. try twisting a length of intact thin-walled pipe ("O" cross-section). Now slit it longitudinally from end to end (converting it into a "C" cross-section), and try twisting again... Huge difference!

Anyway, just clamp that Empi engine trolley frame into a vice and twist back into shape with a large pair of channel locks or big crescent wrench -- ought to be a piece of cake. Of course, it will bend right back again just as easily when you place any appreciable amount of weight on it...

I think that some folks have bolted lengths of lumber along those trolley brackets, to reinforce such that it can successfully carry the weight of an engine. You can probably make it work somehow, if you really want to.

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned this Motorcycle/ATV lift.
Back in the day I used a 2 floor jack method. Much younger and stronger then.
Now I have a Quick Jack to lift the car and a support platform that attaches to the floor jack to roll the motor around. Works fine for now. Still getting older.
My next project is a chain hoist on a trolley to lift the engine up and onto a stand.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned this Motorcycle/ATV lift.
[…]

Still getting older.

My next project is a chain hoist on a trolley to lift the engine up and onto a stand.

I searched several ATV lift threads as a solution. I even looked at the HF transmission jack threads too. All viable.

I did acquire a Titan made gantry crane and awaiting its arrival (stuck in a snow storm somewhere per the tracking data). I will build a trolly system to hold the electric hoist and then we are off to the races.

The engine and Bug body lift issues solved. And, my friends will love me for not testing out their labrum surgeries.

My FJ40 needs a new tub soon so the crane will pay for itself. Despite the crane looking lost in my garage, my wife promises not to dress me out like a deer on it.
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

While visual progress seems glacial, we did get the bug stripped down and a good field expedient cleaning. Most importantly, I "field day'd" the garage as my wife thought the PB Blaster and other solvents finally got the best of me.

Despite the appearance, the rear deck is solid and no soft spots on the rear deck vent side. It looks like body filler but I swear PO used glue here - will know more when I remove the paint

Doubt these brakes would have lasted a test drive - found ZERO brake fluid in the system.

Last edited by Semper Gumby on Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: